Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waltermitty

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
I think there's a pretty good chance that you'll be fine. The listing is not elaborate, nor is it spell checked, but if you notice at the bottom he posted it from the eBay iPad app... He has a history, albeit in the 80% range...

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Hey guys, my brother just won and paid for this auction, I'm slightly worried it may not be legit. What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150644816870&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Opinions appreciated!

Looking at that seller's reputation is scary and I think you have legit cause to worry. This guy has some feedback that suggests he is playing fast and loose with the truth. Your brother may get exactly what he paid for or he may get something plagued with problems. I don't worry about a lot of neg feedback unless it's high in proportion to the amount of stuff the seller is offering or the quality of the feedback seems consistent and suggests the seller is a flake. In this case he has a lot of neg feedback in proportion to what he is selling and the feedback seems on the level (from the buyer perspective) and tells an alarming tale.

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
I would have passed on this auction. The seller's feedback was concerning to say the least. Most of his neg. feedback was because the item was "Not As Described", and with hidden problems. Not worth the headache.

UCF Sam

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Ouch... No way in a million years would I touch an auction with someone that has 86% feedback, much less an auction with no pictures of the actual product and a horrible description. If he has already paid though, there is not much you can do except wait, ebay won't let you file a claim until a certain amount of days after the auction.

"Brand new sealed. I'm in the army I go to post office a few times a week because of my schedule so item may not **** til wed or Thursday,but well worth it. Priced to sell."

Hopefully you don't receive **** in the mail.

hereyago

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
why'd would he buy that?

doesn't the new mba 13 inch already cost around that range? why not just buy from apple?

neile45

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011
I probably wouldn't have, but he already has. Now, just make sure he follows up with Paypal if he doesn't get it, or if it is not as stated.

Stevel93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
"Unethical, dishonest, immoral, and disgusting. Avoid like the plague." Comment from his feedback. I'd be careful, and wouldn't personally deal with him.

I looked at the guy who gave this feedback and he himself has negative feedback "Got a refund but dealing with this sell is like pulling your own teeth! DONT BUY"

Looks like a very annoying person to deal with...

He seems to have recent raving feedbacks though..hopefully it'll go smoothly

boonlar

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
As a buyer you are never in any danger on ebay. If you file a paypal dispute you will win 99% of the time. It's the sellers who get shafted. You could dispute that you never got that macbook and get all your money back even if you did receive it because the paypal system is completely broken. Don't worry there is 0 risk buying anything through paypal.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
As a buyer you are never in any danger on ebay. If you file a paypal dispute you will win 99% of the time. It's the sellers who get shafted. You could dispute that you never got that macbook and get all your money back even if you did receive it because the paypal system is completely broken. Don't worry there is 0 risk buying anything through paypal.

By the way, merchants complain that it works the same way with credit cards. You claim you never got the product, or that you returned it (but didn't) and dispute the charge with your credit card company. That results in a chargeback to the merchant and the charge goes away on your account. From my reading, and limited experience, the credit card company almost always sides with the customer and requires incredible proof from the merchant. Amex in particular has a reputation for always siding with the customer.

I recall one merchant swearing that chargebacks were a form of legalized shoplifting.

No, I haven't actually tried it myself. :) I've only done two credit card disputes in all my years and both were totally legit. In fact, one was an actual illegal scam by a crooked merchant using card numbers from purchases from a different business he owned to put charges for fake sales on a separate business.

Stevel93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011

Yea thats what he told me but I'm still a bit concerned for him. eBay does seem to always side with buyers from what I've read.

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
"Brand new sealed. I'm in the army I go to post office a few times a week because of my schedule so item may not shi* til wed or Thursday,but well worth it. Priced to sell."

Seriously WTF?

iphonsteve4ajob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2011
"because of my schedule so item may not **** til wed or Thursday,but well worth it. Priced to sell."

hahhaha...."may not **** til wed." NO NO - I would not have purchased this from someone with 85% feedback. Terrible. I've been a member since '03 and i maintain my 100% rating with vigilance. :)

That being said, as long as it is unopened with the plastic shrink-wrap in place you should be fine. Good luck!

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
Op, Ask him what unit he's in in the Army, I'll interpret his answer and tell you if hes full of it. If he is in the Army, this is pretty standard behavior. Most likely just got in trouble with his wife and has to send it back, otherwise it doesn't make any sense, him selling it brand new for less...

+1 for buyer protection though, i was refunded my money after 2 days of an item that wasn't as described, and i got to keep the item!

Stevel93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Op, Ask him what unit he's in in the Army, I'll interpret his answer and tell you if hes full of it. If he is in the Army, this is pretty standard behavior. Most likely just got in trouble with his wife and has to send it back, otherwise it doesn't make any sense, him selling it brand new for less...

+1 for buyer protection though, i was refunded my money after 2 days of an item that wasn't as described, and i got to keep the item!

Says hes in the 603rd trans

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.