Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muffinman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
San Diego, California
So I have a few questions regarding two cameras that have not been released yet, let alone been announced :rolleyes:.

For background, I am going into my senior year of college as a film major. I have previously been using, for the most part, Sony Z1s/V1s; I also have directed two commercials this past year using the Canon Mark IIs. I much readily prefer using the Canon as the quality is stunning, there is no need for tape log/capture (one of the things I hate the most), and the ability to use photo lenses is amazing. However, I'd rather just go around having to rent camera equipment from the department.

So, I'd like to purchase a DSLR for filmmaking relatively soon. I am somewhat already invested in Nikon—I own a Nikon F5 and D40. However, I don't own much glass—just one, really—so the switch over to Canon wouldn't be that great big of a deal, I think...

From the rumors, it seems like the Mark III will be coming in early 2012 and the D800 will be announced, hopefully, by the end of this month. Also, the Mark II has been steadily decreasing in price. I checked and Best Buy is selling for $2100ish.

So, what do you think? Any ideas on how the D800 will perform in regards to video production? As compared to the current Mark II? Any ideas on exact release dates? Suggestions?

Thanks!

jdesign

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
My personal opinion , do not choose a camera brand based on what features that they will have in the next future. Eg. Nikon offers auto focus on their video (not that i want this feature) , sure Canon will try to include them in their camera feature (well not surely, but might)..

Choose a brand that you think will always be slightly ahead their competitor, and will always try to innovate and improve in terms in video function

At the moment i'm more fond with canon, if for example nikon introduce a new camera with superb function.. i won't be dissapointed as I know canon will catch up to that tecnology/ features.. vice versa.

i'm a wedding videographer, most of videographer here in Australia uses canon camera.. i own a canon camera for more than 10 years, and what i can see is they always innovate.. but again its up to you to decide! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.