PDA

View Full Version : New Macbook Air - my 4 years old Toshiba was faster and more reliable....

thaimac
Aug 10, 2011, 02:51 AM
Am I the only one who got a a rotten apple in the bunch of new macbook airs? I keep on reading raving reviews, but the machine I finally, after years, got my wife to buy (thus convincing her to migrate from Windows) is really unimpressive, even compared to her 4 years old Toshiba PC, my 4 years old macbook and even my dad's 7 years old Powerbook:

1. Mail crashes ALL the time,
2. I just changed the name of few word and xcel documents from finder, and they immediately went blank (zero bytes), so she completely lost one entire day of work
3. In excel, it takes a couple of minutes to simply display a print preview!
4. generally it's really really really slow in everything it does, taking ages to open any application, all the animations throughout the whole OS are slow and just add to being generally an incredibly frustrating user experience!

Do you think I've just being unlucky and should take the machine back to be replaced, or is it just a 1,500 GBP piece of c...p?!?

Oh forgot to mention I spent 80 GBP for a genius at the Apple store to migrate all my emails from Outlook to Mail, and of course they failed. They got my 80 quid though!

She desperately wants to go back to Windows, and honestly from what I've seen, I think she 's right, that computer is completely unusable!

nebulos
Aug 10, 2011, 02:59 AM
sounds like a faulty machine. it happens. take it in.

Minhthien
Aug 10, 2011, 03:00 AM
i wouldn't say your 4 years old Toshiba is faster than the new macbook air! I'd bet you money on that! Seem like you need to reinstall OSX because I never had any issue with LION or SL! Did you have Office 2011 installed?

nebulos
Aug 10, 2011, 03:02 AM
i wouldn't say your 4 years old Toshiba is faster than the new macbook air! I'd bet you money on that! Seem like you need to reinstall OSX.

+ 1. try reinstalling first.

misterneums
Aug 10, 2011, 03:11 AM
Am I the only one who got a a rotten apple in the bunch of new macbook airs? I keep on reading raving reviews, but the machine I finally, after years, got my wife to buy (thus convincing her to migrate from Windows) is really unimpressive, even compared to her 4 years old Toshiba PC, my 4 years old macbook and even my dad's 7 years old Powerbook:

2. I just changed the name of few word and xcel documents from finder, and they immediately went blank (zero bytes), so she completely lost one entire day of work
4. generally it's really really really slow in everything it does, taking ages to open any application, all the animations throughout the whole OS are slow and just add to being generally an incredibly frustrating user experience!

Do you think I've just being unlucky and should take the machine back to be replaced, or is it just a 1,500 GBP piece of c...p?!?

Oh forgot to mention I spent 80 GBP for a genius at the Apple store to migrate all my emails from Outlook to Mail, and of course they failed. They got my 80 quid though!

She desperately wants to go back to Windows, and honestly from what I've seen, I think she 's right, that computer is completely unusable!

Perhaps you should take it to the Genius Bar and ask for help? Reinstall Lion and see if that fixes anything? Lemons happen.

haruhiko
Aug 10, 2011, 03:52 AM
Return it ASAP, you've got a faulty machine.

MacRumorUser
Aug 10, 2011, 04:23 AM

It shouldn't. You may have imported some corrupt information and hence every time you load it - it encounters the corrupt file and crashes. You already said that the genius borked moving your mail from outlook to mail (I'm assuming from a PC - hence possibility of corrupt / unreadable pc files now in your mail)

Not sure what the heck you did here. I've been using macs for the last 15 years and never had that problem. Did you delete or modify the extensions also ?

What version of excel are you running ? Are you running earlier than Office 2011 ? If so - i would certainly upgrade to 2011 as it's far out the best version of office on the mac, and fast.

Office 2008 has some rather serious issues with Lion and Office 2004 is not compatible at all.

So if you are running an older version update, and if you are running Office 2011 - update the program to latest patch.

I assume you are not however - otherwise you could have moved Outlook PC - Outlook Mac rather than mail.

It really shouldn't be. It does sound like you have either bonked up the operating system some how (if your new to mac's it's understandable - i've seen many new users delete files from library or change file names and lose applications or some functionality). Or you have a dodgy machine.

Certainly I would try re-installing the operating system first to check that out of the way - and if you still encounter slow performance after that return it for a new computer.

Lone Deranger
Aug 10, 2011, 04:32 AM
Yep.. sounds like something's seriously wrong. MacBook Air's are swift computers. Especially if you're only doing Office type work. Reformat the drive and reinstall the OS. If you are uncomfortable doing this yourself, take it back to the store and tell them about your problems. If you bought it at an Apple store they should do this for you no problem (at no charge!).

Furthermore, if the Genius failed to do his/her job (transferring your mails) why did you pay them the £80? :confused:

kilonet
Aug 10, 2011, 05:58 AM
How strange? Im in heaven with my Air (first mac). :p

Ubuntu
Aug 10, 2011, 06:10 AM

That doesn't sound right at all. My MBA's been great. When you do take it back I'd also complain about the £80 charge, is that for the one to one programme or something? I'd definitely ask for a refund if they failed to do that task.

kalsta
Aug 10, 2011, 06:19 AM
Don't muck around with it a moment longer. Something is seriously wrong… take it back, and ask for a replacement.

That doesn't sound right either. You can't pay for a service and get nothing in return. Explain this to them when you take it back, and if they have any sense they will make things right.

Gordy
Aug 10, 2011, 07:11 AM
To get your emails across from outlook. Use Outlook to Mac , its a great little app.

Or alternatively setup a googlemail account and fling the emails to the server then sync them to the mac via imap.

Ubuntu
Aug 10, 2011, 07:21 AM
Don't muck around with it a moment longer. Something is seriously wrong… take it back, and ask for a replacement.

That doesn't sound right either. You can't pay for a service and get nothing in return. Explain this to them when you take it back, and if they have any sense they will make things right.

I think it is indeed the One to One service.

There’s no better way to get set up, get trained and get going on your new Mac than with a One to One membership at the Apple Retail Store.

One to One costs just £79 for a full year and is available only at the time you purchase a new Mac from the Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store.

If they suggested I buy that and then failed the first task I'd be mad, I'd want a full refund. That's awful service.

clyde2801
Aug 10, 2011, 07:43 AM
Yeah, but apple stores regularly have free 'welcome to mac' classes, and there's usually time at the end to handle questions.

Or, he can exchange it and do a personal setup, where the blue shirt can transfer files, etc., from his Toshiba (or at least ensure he's doing it properly).

And one-to-one is a bargain. I fully think they're not going to let me sign up again next year, even if I buy a new mac.:o:D

revelated
Aug 10, 2011, 09:20 AM

Your problem is with Lion. NOT the Air itself, unfortunately. You're not alone.

drakkardnoir
Aug 10, 2011, 09:43 AM

sounds like a troll to me..

patrickq
Aug 10, 2011, 10:00 AM

Well, I'd agree that it seems a strange post, but maybe just someone who is feeling a touch angry?

If I had this kind of difficulty I'd be in the Apple shop getting it sorted, not wasting time posting on here and complaining. There is obviously something wrong and it's a new product, so take it back and get it fixed/replaced or get a refund for faulty goods.

To say that a 4 year old Toshiba was faster is ridiculous, unless there is a fault with the Air or Software or what has been done to the machine by OP.

If I had this kind of problem with a new Mac I'd be back in the shop to get it sorted.

Mlrollin91
Aug 10, 2011, 10:13 AM
I highly doubt, highly highly doubt that your 4 year old toshiba is faster than the your MBA, even if you have a faulty machine. My MBA is at least 2X faster than my 2009 MacBook Pro, really wish I got a geek bench score on it. Just take it back to Apple, they'll find the problem and fix it for you. Thats what they are there for..

misterneums
Aug 10, 2011, 10:18 AM

That was my first inclination. Then I realized that he is probably angry and over dramatized the entire thing. Lion is still buggy--but I don't think it is as buggy as the OP has suggested.

jnpy!$4g3cwk
Aug 10, 2011, 10:23 AM
got my wife to buy (thus convincing her to migrate from Windows) is really unimpressive, even compared to her 4 years old Toshiba PC, my 4 years old macbook and even my dad's 7 years old Powerbook:

:

Maybe you need some help from a different Apple store and genius ...

In any case, my old Toshiba is slow and hardware falling apart -- you must have gotten a lemon, and/or, lemon support.

entatlrg
Aug 10, 2011, 10:30 AM
Lol, why you'd post that on here rather than calling or going to Apple is hard to understand...

gentlefury
Aug 10, 2011, 10:32 AM
Def sounds like you got a bad one...mine is the fastest most reliable laptop I've ever owned!!

bobbba
Aug 10, 2011, 12:27 PM
Def sounds like you got a bad one...mine is the fastest most reliable laptop I've ever owned!!

Same here

qwerf123
Aug 10, 2011, 03:15 PM

Don't worry, I've had 3 faulty MBA until I got a properly working one. Just return/exchange it. If you got it from Apple, they are usually very helpful and have no problem doing it.

thaimac
Aug 10, 2011, 11:10 PM
i wouldn't say your 4 years old Toshiba is faster than the new macbook air! I'd bet you money on that! Seem like you need to reinstall OSX because I never had any issue with LION or SL! Did you have Office 2011 installed?

Yeah, I have Office 2011. How do I reinstall Lion on a MBA?

KPOM
Aug 10, 2011, 11:13 PM
Your problem is with Lion. NOT the Air itself, unfortunately. You're not alone.

Lion has some bugs, but it doesn't make a Core i5 MacBook Air perform like a 4 year old Toshiba PC.

kalsta
Aug 10, 2011, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I have Office 2011. How do I reinstall Lion on a MBA?

As many others have said, it likely has a serious defect. Just take it back to the Apple Store. Give Apple a chance to make it right and you might be pleasantly surprised. I don't understand the advice to reinstall Lion on a brand new machine. You shouldn't have to do that, and you may just be wasting more of your time.

thaimac
Aug 11, 2011, 03:59 AM
As many others have said, it likely has a serious defect. Just take it back to the Apple Store. Give Apple a chance to make it right and you might be pleasantly surprised. I don't understand the advice to reinstall Lion on a brand new machine. You shouldn't have to do that, and you may just be wasting more of your time.

Thank you all for your advice!

And yes I'm pretty much frustrated about this issue, not because I'm a troll (been using macs for years) but because I bought the machine at the Apple store in London but I'm now in Pakistan where I work and as you can imagine there aren't Apple stores here, so this may make things a bit more difficult than if I was in Europe!

I'll try with the phone "fast lane" service first, and see what they suggest.....

kalsta
Aug 11, 2011, 05:50 AM
Ah… I see. That certainly makes things difficult. Bummer. I've had a few 'bad Apples' over the years, so I know all too well that Apple is far from perfect when it comes to hardware reliability. I guess no company is.

Well, good luck with it. I hope Apple can get you a replacement somehow.

striker33
Aug 11, 2011, 05:55 AM
ProTip: Don't use Mail, it sucks.

MonkeySee....
Aug 11, 2011, 06:03 AM

Wow, advice from a pro! We are sooo lucky.

p.s what's wrong with Mail?

MacRumorUser
Aug 11, 2011, 06:21 AM

Wow, advice from a pro! We are sooo lucky.

p.s what's wrong with Mail?

Apparently according to our Pro, it sucks. ;)

By the way I didn't know we had 'Professional' email senders in here. Designers, Videographers, Editors, Illustrators, Musicians, Techinicians, Doctors, Surgeons and now saints be praised we have Professional Email Senders on the boards of MacRumors. Wowsers the colors of the rainbow just get brighter and brighter don't they.... :D;):p

KPOM
Aug 11, 2011, 06:26 AM
Thank you all for your advice!

And yes I'm pretty much frustrated about this issue, not because I'm a troll (been using macs for years) but because I bought the machine at the Apple store in London but I'm now in Pakistan where I work and as you can imagine there aren't Apple stores here, so this may make things a bit more difficult than if I was in Europe!

I'll try with the phone "fast lane" service first, and see what they suggest.....

if you have reliable internet connection with unlimited data, then use the restore partition to reinstall Lion. Hold down CMD-R while you reboot the Mac, and then follow the instructions. Macworld US has a good article on their website with step-by-step instructions.

http://www.macworld.com/article/161088/2011/07/hands_on_lion_recovery_mode.html

Before you do that, though, make sure you go into the App Store and "accept" all software updates. That will make sure that the new iLife 11 applications are tied to your Apple ID and will re-load on your Mac. Otherwise, if you just restore Lion you might lose the ability to download iLife 11.