Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hello

On opening a folder the window is small and the icons inside are all over the place and not the size required., I pull the window to the size I require, I then do show view Options and set the icons to the size required and arrange icons by name and save as default, then adjust window size.

Now when I open another window I have to do the same even though I have set as default.

Then when I re boot or something else not sure what is causing this, but when I go back into the folders set as required they have reset themselves to window size small icons tiny and all over the place again.

Have tried the hold shift close window to set them but they still revert back, it is driving me crazy.

What am I missing here if anything ?

Last edited:

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Sounds like a bug to me, a relatively harmless one at that.

Wouldn't hurt trying this:
Open finder. Resize. Close without going to another folder.

I think you may have to resize the Finder window with every new method of opening Finder (such as double clicking on the Macintosh HD icon on the desktop - assuming you have it appear there).

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
The only way I've ever been able to set a default Finder window size is.

-Close all Finder windows.
-Open one Finder window.
-Resize to the size you want.
-Hold the Shift key....and click on the little red ball in the upper left to close the window.

After I do this....most any windows that I open from Finder will stick with this size. Not always.....some things like the Dropbox icon or dmgs will open in smaller sizes.

-Kevin

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
The only way I've ever been able to set a default Finder window size is.

-Close all Finder windows.
-Open one Finder window.
-Resize to the size you want.
-Hold the Shift key....and click on the little red ball in the upper left to close the window.

After I do this....most any windows that I open from Finder will stick with this size. Not always.....some things like the Dropbox icon or dmgs will open in smaller sizes.

-Kevin

Hello

That works, thank you :)

I did not have to do this in other OS versions, I assume this is a Lion thing ?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Hello

Not for me. I had to do the same thing in Leopard and SL to get the main window to stick to a size.

-Kevin

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Sounds like a bug to me, a relatively harmless one at that.

Wouldn't hurt trying this:
Open finder. Resize. Close without going to another folder.

I think you may have to resize the Finder window with every new method of opening Finder (such as double clicking on the Macintosh HD icon on the desktop - assuming you have it appear there).

Hello

I think this method works also.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hello

Hello

Spoke to soon, booted up today and windows I had set are back to where they were before, folders
all over the place, not the size I set, window back to minimal :(

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hello

Can nobody help with this.

Whatever I try does not work :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.