PDA

View Full Version : migrating mail only from mbp to new mba

msregister
Aug 10, 2011, 07:17 AM
how do i migrate only my emails (accounts, folders etc. from apple mail) from my mbp to my new mba?

(all other programs i will be installing fresh so i do not want to migrate anything else.)

thank you in advance.

DustinT
Aug 10, 2011, 09:19 AM
Migration assistant. Select just the mail option.

Remember, the Migration Assistant will move the emails to a new user account. So, do that before you setup your account.

seepel
Aug 10, 2011, 09:22 AM
Alternatively I think you could just copy ~/Library/Mail to ~/Library/Mail/V2

flynz4
Aug 10, 2011, 10:05 AM
how do i migrate only my emails (accounts, folders etc. from apple mail) from my mbp to my new mba?

(all other programs i will be installing fresh so i do not want to migrate anything else.)

thank you in advance.

If you switch 100% to IMAP email... there is nothing to do. Just create the email account on your new computer and everything will be there in a few minutes or so.

/Jim

Cynicalone
Aug 10, 2011, 10:28 AM
Just move the library folders to the new Mac. That will move everything, mailboxes, accounts, notes, everything.

You will need to use the Finder "Go" menu to get to the library folder in Lion. But once you have the library folder open it is just a matter of dropping the old Mail folder in the new library.

msregister
Aug 11, 2011, 06:16 AM
Migration assistant. Select just the mail option.

Remember, the Migration Assistant will move the emails to a new user account. So, do that before you setup your account.

where in migration assistant can i choose only the mail option?

nph
Aug 11, 2011, 09:02 PM
I would set up the existing accounts in Lion mail client.
Then go into your old email folders and copy over the old messages manually to the mail folder on the new MBA.
You find the mail folder in user/library.

I tried migration tool (there is no option for just mail) but I got so much other crap that I gave up and even Applecare didn't have a good suggestion.

I tried moving the folder but then it imported that account and I wanted it like a regular account. From Leopard to Snow Leopard the move the folder strategy worked fine but I couldn't get that to work as well in Lion.
My slightly more manual model worked great last night when I did it.

Cynicalone
Aug 11, 2011, 09:40 PM
What you would want to do is copy the entire "Mail" folder and all it's subfolders to your new computer. Preferably before you ever launch Mail on the new computer. Then when you launch Mail on the new computer you will probably have to enter your email passwords but other than that it will have all your old Mailboxes and info.

This works on Lion, I moved my old email from my MacBook Air 2,1 to my MacBook Air 4,1 this way. It just takes a few minutes to copy to a flash drive. When I opened Mail on the new MacBook Air I just entered my passwords for all my Mail accounts and everything worked just fine.