Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spacemarine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Hi everyone,

I got the new MBA 2011, the smallest 11" with 2GB ram. My problem is: When I run safari maximized on my external monitor (Dell U2711, 2560x1440), scrolling stutters very much. This happens even on very simple websites without flash.

Is the MBA just too weak for that?

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
2g ram isn't much... Personally, I'd exchange it for the 4g version. It will be much more useful now and in the future.

However, to answer your question about the scrolling issues online, I'd suggest you try another browser and see what happens. I wouldn't think you'd be having those issues, even with only 2g ram.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Hi everyone,

I got the new MBA 2011, the smallest 11" with 2GB ram. My problem is: When I run safari maximized on my external monitor (Dell U2711, 2560x1440), scrolling stutters very much. This happens even on very simple websites without flash.

What are you using to connect your Dell monitor to your MBA?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
The only think that makes sense, a mini-displayport to "normal"-displayport cable.

I am not familiar with Dell's implementation of a display port connector, so I can't comment. I am wanting to connect my MBA to my 30" Dell 3007WFP but am wondering whether I need the powered adapter or not.

Good luck with finding a solution to your problem!

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Not that I'm in the same situation, but I have a 2010 MBA 11" with 2gb of ram and find it's sufficient to drive a 24" LCD at 1920 x 1080. Yes it's not as high res as your Dell screen but considering this is the old CPU, I have no issues with surfing the net on both screens or using Chrome/iChat on the MBA with a standard definition DivX file playing on the external 24".

Spacemarine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
I am wanting to connect my MBA to my 30" Dell 3007WFP but am wondering whether I need the powered adapter or not.

Since it doesen't have a displayport connector, the only possibility is to use the expensive powered adapter which supports dual-link dvi.

alau0115

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
Markham, ON, Canada
Since it doesen't have a displayport connector, the only possibility is to use the expensive powered adapter which supports dual-link dvi.

Or maybe do a search in monoprice.com. They have a great selection of adapters/cables at a very cheap price.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=displayport&x=0&y=0

This is what I have been using for my MBA/MBP:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042803&p_id=5714&seq=1&format=2

It has been solid performance with strong construction. The downside of putting adapters/connecter in a row (in my case, miniDP-DP adapter +DP connecter) is the physical connection can be loose at time due to the heaviness and the total length of the "converted connector".

rabid snake

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Hi everyone,

It's because your MBA is running 2GB of ram. It's memory swapping with the SSD. If you just got it recently, trade it in with a model with 4GB of Ram.

Spacemarine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
It's because your MBA is running 2GB of ram.

There is no swapping during scrolling. If that were the case, it would also swap during scrolling with a smaller window. The stutter would also depend heavily on the ram usage and the number of open applications.

Since this is not the case, ram size doesen't have anything to do with stuttering during scrolling.

Or do you have anything to back up your theory?

Spacemarine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
I just tried it with Firefox 6. Although there is still some stuttering on my external monitor, it's MUCH more smooth compared to safari.

When scrolling, both Firefox and Safari use about the same total CPU, both are are near where the limit. That's very strange.

I also checked the system monitor, there is absolutely no swapping during scrolling.

The HD3000 seems to get 288 MB of Vram according to system info, although I don't know what this has to to with my problem....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.