PDA

View Full Version : Decided on 13" MBA but have some Questions 2010 or 2011

Wicked1
Aug 10, 2011, 11:24 AM
Ok so I decided on the MBA 13" however I do have some questions relative to the 2010 refurbs and 2011 models.

Looking for advice from someone who had a 2010 and now has a similar 2011

I am most likely getting 4GB of ram adn the 256GB SSD, but is the CPU that much of a difference for basica computing?

I do mostly web browsing, some MS Office work, little photo stuff, downloading photos off of my camera and sorting them in iPhoto some minor edits as well. I do use iTunes heavily for music, but I am moving all iTunes stuff off to my Mini Server so this MBA is for the most basic functions?

Question is the savings on a 2010 worth it, or do I hunker down and just get the 2011 model?

calvol
Aug 10, 2011, 11:49 AM
I have the 2010 13-UMBA and have decided not to upgrade because this model runs cooler, has better battery life in light use cases, and has better graphics. I use the Air on the road, and really like the 10+ hours battery life when traveling. I would save the money and buy the 2010 if you don't need to do rendering or cpu intensive tasks.

deadlystriker
Aug 10, 2011, 12:04 PM
I bought an 11" 2011 air 2 weeks ago, returned it yesterday and got an ultimate 2010 11" refurb. Main reason was for snow leopard (don't like lion at all) and the better battery life.

If you do casual editing once in a while, the c2d processor will be fine. the sandybridge cpus will definitely be faster but depends on how often you will tax the processor?

DieterRams
Aug 10, 2011, 12:07 PM
I bought an 11" 2011 air 2 weeks ago, returned it yesterday and got an ultimate 2010 11" refurb. Main reason was for snow leopard (don't like lion at all) and the better battery life.

If you do casual editing once in a while, the c2d processor will be fine. the sandybridge cpus will definitely be faster but depends on how often you will tax the processor?

Funny, Lion has better zooming (double tap) on web page and full-screen ability that both make a smaller screen more workable - you don't find that to be the case?

deadlystriker
Aug 10, 2011, 12:14 PM
Funny, Lion has better zooming (double tap) on web page and full-screen ability that both make a smaller screen more workable - you don't find that to be the case?

I multi task and find full screen apps less productive. Safari 5.1 has mem leak and I've always used firefox, so that's not a problem. I work best with snow leopard's spaces, leopard exposť (via a hack which can be found here). Bettertouchtool enhances that experience. Way better than the mission control crap.

Wicked1
Aug 10, 2011, 02:00 PM
I figured as much, I tried the 13" 2011 model out in the Apple store, but I just do not seem to like Lion myself, I have no use for all the newer features, and I hate the reverse scrolling as a default, what an annoying thing to change after all these years.

I was looking for the 1.86 CPU on the 2010 with 4GB and 256GB but they are not around, so going Ultimate I guess, and getting Applecare for the extension as well this way I will be good to go for 3 years at least.

While I was at the counter getting my iphone replace two users with new 2011 13" units were getting them replaced one person had a bad logic board, the other persons display port/TB port was not working, they got brand new units after 1-2 weeks. I can wait until the 15" MBA comes out so for now the 13" 2010 unltimate will serve me well.

calvol
Aug 10, 2011, 02:11 PM
I can wait until the 15" MBA comes out so for now the 13" 2010 unltimate will serve me well.

Good choice on the 2010 Ultimate. You might look at the 2012 MBP which should take on the Air design points and profile. I think that would be a good combo with the 2010 Air.

nnguyen
Aug 10, 2011, 02:16 PM
i came from a 2010 ultimate, the difference is like night and day. the 2011 blows away the 2010. battery life concern.. i get around 9-10hrs ..for graphics - i can play blackops multiplayer lag free. my config is i7 256gb - all samsung parts - no heat/fan issue whatsoever.

salmemail
Aug 10, 2011, 03:18 PM
I waited until the 2011 were released before buying my late 2010 model. I wanted to see what Lion and the new hardware had to offer. I decided on a late 2010 model and I'm very happy with it. Bought it on Ebay, and saved $900 off the orig price and about the same for the current ultimate.

It may be a little slower, but it's got Snow Leopard (I like on my older MBP) and it's blazing compared to my older MPB as well. I really struggled with what do do but went with the stable OS, faster GP, and $ savings.

I'm very happy with it. Note, the seller barely used it, I reinstalled the OS, and it was flawless in condition!

Wicked1
Aug 10, 2011, 03:29 PM
I waited until the 2011 were released before buying my late 2010 model. I wanted to see what Lion and the new hardware had to offer. I decided on a late 2010 model and I'm very happy with it. Bought it on Ebay, and saved $900 off the orig price and about the same for the current ultimate.

It may be a little slower, but it's got Snow Leopard (I like on my older MBP) and it's blazing compared to my older MPB as well. I really struggled with what do do but went with the stable OS, faster GP, and $ savings.

I'm very happy with it. Note, the seller barely used it, I reinstalled the OS, and it was flawless in condition!

You got lucky with that buy off of eBay, so nice work

as for me I am just waiting for my refund from Apple on something I just returned, once I get that, I am going to look and see if any of the 13" untis come in with the 1.86 and 4GB/256GB SSD I do not need the 2.13 cpu I have a 2009 13" uMB for all of the heavy stuff I need to do, just that this unit is heavy to carry around and it is only 4.5 lbs besides my wife likes it so I might just stick with the MBA whenever I get one.

DieterRams
Aug 11, 2011, 09:38 AM
I multi task and find full screen apps less productive. Safari 5.1 has mem leak and I've always used firefox, so that's not a problem. I work best with snow leopard's spaces, leopard exposť (via a hack which can be found here). Bettertouchtool enhances that experience. Way better than the mission control crap.

Then why an 11"? SL all-application expose makes windows even tinier and no fullscreen means no extra real estate to see. The thing about fullscreen is that you can do three finger swipe to go between apps so that's still multitasking. And if you mean literally seeing multiple windows on screen at once, it's 11" so it's still small - how is that workable with multiple windows on screen? I'm just trying to understand the reasoning, I'm deciding between 11" and 13" myself and am having a hard time justifying 11" to comfortably work in the way you mean with multiple windows on such a small screen.