Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibookowner2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2005
Hello I was wondering if there was a device that could connect speakers via speaker wire to a audio out.

I've seen the apple stores product but it dosent work for G5s.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
What kind of speakers? Do they take a 1/8" minijack, or L/R (Red and White) inputs?

If it's the second senario, all you need is something like this.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
You will need an amplifier somewhere in the equation. It might be helpful if you let us know what type of speaker, how many speakers, and what purpose you are trying to attain.

For example, right know I am listening to iTunes through my ibook -> mini-jack -> to RCA splitter -> to RCA in on a Cambridge Audio A500 -> Energy eXL-26s. Nice sound out of a laptop if you are looking for something just to listen to music on.

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Griffin PowerWave

Try this ...

I use this with my PB & iB, and a pair of Apple Pro Speakers I got from eBay for $20.

BTW, Those Apple Pro Speakers BUMP!!! :D

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
If I understand what you said correctly, you have speakers that need an amplifier to work. If that is the case, than no, you aren't going to find a decent amplifier for very cheap. If you get a good amplifier it will last a loooong time. The one I have now is over 30 years old and works perfectly. It's a yamaha natural sound stereo receiver and it is connected to a pair of Bang & Olufsen S45's which are about the same age. They still sound just as good as most modern systems. Somehow the rubber in the woofers still hasn't dry rotted yet. You might want to look on ebay if you want something cheap.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
thecow said:
If I understand what you said correctly, you have speakers that need an amplifier to work. If that is the case, than no, you aren't going to find a decent amplifier for very cheap. If you get a good amplifier it will last a loooong time. The one I have now is over 30 years old and works perfectly. It's a yamaha natural sound stereo receiver and it is connected to a pair of Bang & Olufsen S45's which are about the same age. They still sound just as good as most modern systems. Somehow the rubber in the woofers still hasn't dry rotted yet. You might want to look on ebay if you want something cheap.

Well I would guess with that set up, you have better sound coming out of your computer than I have coming out of mine (see the above post). Gotta love those old amps. The precise reason that I bought the Cambridge A500 was that, like the old amps, there are no bells and whistles, extra electronics, or any other cr@p to add distortion or color to the sound.

But on the the topic of the forum . . . look for a decent second hand amp at a used stereo shop. I remember for example, about a year ago, I cam across an old LINN amp that was in great shape and was asking $100 cdn. An amp like that would be more than you would ever need for playing compressed audio through . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.