Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Kevin Black wrote us with the following:

If you go to the MacRaffle website, http://www.macraffle.com, you will notice that a message comes up instead of the site. Seems the Ohio Attorney General's office is investigating MacRaffle under gambling accusations.

No one was arrested and the site owner seems to be upfront and honest. He\'s obviously trying to appear upfront and honest. However, for those that felt it could have been a shady operation, it appears the Ohio AG is going to determine it without doubt.

So, those that felt it was could either be vindicated or ashamed. Only time will tell.

happygoodies

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2002
It was obviously online gambling, which is banned in Ohio as far as I know, so they're clearly guilty unless there are other facts =( As for whether they were "legit" in that they randomly drew winners and sent out prizes, I think that's besides the point.

It sounds like some guy got a get-rich-quick idea and put it on the Internet without realizing he could get into a lot of trouble.

If anyone could do this, you'd see a million of these raffles online. What easier way to get money than to buy iPods for $300 each and sell 1000 raffle tickets for it for $1 each?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
yeah - there are very clear rules about contests vs gambling.

I ran a contest site for a while... and while I'm not a lawyer, there are some basic rules...

In general... contest need to be free to enter - you can't have a purchase required. (this is called gambling). Unless there is a significant skill element involved, in which case you can charge entry fees.

Certain organizations are exempt, I believe... such as non-profits (churchs perhaps)

Looks like he's trying to utlize the Skill element - but in the few times I'd read that site, i never knew there was a skill element to it.

arn

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
The Government - Protecting You from Yourself, Everyday!

Attachments

• gov.jpg
    gov.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 375

happygoodies

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2002
I think by "skill" he meant "skill at your job" and through that "skill" a commisurate amount of "money" to give him and win prizes =(

Evergreen

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2001
Re: MacRaffle Under Investigation

...Seems the Ohio Attorney General's office is investigating MacRaffle under gambling accusations.

That's right kids, gambling is wrong unless you are a state government, in which case it's fine!

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Re: MacRaffle Under Investigation

From Mr. Macraffle.

It is the Ohio Attorney General's position that I was operating an illegal gambling operation from my home and on the Internet. This is not the case. My position is that I was operating a skill contest at my site and had given my site a feeling similar to gambling for marketing and entertainment purposes only.

At the risk of sounding like an ass, what kind of skill does it take to say "i want an iPod. I'm buying 10 tickets to win an iPod."

Maybe the skill to click a mouse or type a URL? This kinda makes this guy seem :GUILTY:

I don't know all the facts... but as Shakespeare said, and from reading his site:

"Thou doth protest too much"

card-wheels

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
Very nice forum, I'm an italian reader and your english is simple and easily understanded from me :)

Regards,
Mario

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I think we can safely put this five-year old thread to bed.

The amazing thing is that their site is still there with a "Returning Soon" label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.