PDA

View Full Version : Transferring 58gb from MBP to MBA?

Tenashus1
Aug 10, 2011, 05:53 PM
Yikes, forgot there was no firewire on MBA. How best to transfer? Wireless transfer could take years. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

DannySmurf
Aug 10, 2011, 06:02 PM
Yikes, forgot there was no firewire on MBA. How best to transfer? Wireless transfer could take years. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

MBP -> external drive -> MBA

Tenashus1
Aug 10, 2011, 06:13 PM
So I can do it through my back up drive via usb. Thanks.

Cynicalone
Aug 10, 2011, 06:17 PM
Copying it to an external and then copying it to the MacBook Air would be easiest.

But I suppose if you have enough patience you could let it copy over wi-fi overnight.

ZBoater
Aug 10, 2011, 06:17 PM
So I can do it through my back up drive via usb. Thanks.

Yes, and it won't take years, only months... :cool:

stevenpa
Aug 10, 2011, 06:30 PM
Yes, and it won't take years, only months... :cool:

Yeah Wifi is all bad. The externals are the best bet.

Cynicalone
Aug 10, 2011, 06:33 PM
If both macs have Thunderbolt and you have one of the cables. You could really speed things along.

KylePowers
Aug 10, 2011, 07:58 PM
I restored from a backup USB external drive, about ~105GB or so. Took like an hour I think? Maybe 2? Not overbearingly long though.

Stingray454
Aug 10, 2011, 09:19 PM
It's not really a problem doing it over WiFi either, if it's a one-time thing. I usually copy stuff from my iMac to the Air, both are connected to WiFi, and I get transfer rates of about 8Mb/s. That means 2 minutes per Gb, so about 30Gb in an hour, so about 2 hours for your copy. Not lightning fast, but it works :). Just start a copy and use the Air for other stuff, you don't even notice any slowdown when doing other stuff at the same time.. Or, start it before going to bed / going out to lunch and it's done before you're back at the computer again.

unixperience
Aug 10, 2011, 09:47 PM
actually.... using ethernet is the fastest way.... but I don't know how true that is with the usb-ethernet converter (or if you even own it)

jsut connect an ethernet cable between your two macs,
make sure both computers have file sharing enabled
open a finder window on the MBA and click on your MBP (it will be under tha shared tab)
Sign in with your logon credentials for the MBP, navigate to the files, and simply drag them from the MBP to anywher on your MBA this is by far the FASTEST way to do it (faster than firewire... probably not more so than thunderbolt lol)

the best thing about this switch is it happens real time, whereas a usb would be a transfer, then another transfer. USB drives are also far slower than internal hard drives, so I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend ethernet. I did 40 gigs in under 20 mins

I also find it helps to turn off the airport on one of the computers, when its on sometimes it still uses the airport to transfer rather than directly over ethernet, when the airport is off, it has no choice but to use ehternet

Davidkoh
Aug 11, 2011, 07:17 PM
Wireless takes around 2 hours, use that?

jackrv
Aug 11, 2011, 07:23 PM
http://holdan.eu/Sonnet/Accessories/Allegro™+FW800+Thunderbolt™+Adapter#tab=description

Hopefully this or something like it comes soon...