PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a "creaky" MacBook Air?

Yumunum
Aug 10, 2011, 07:26 PM
I just got my new 13" MacBook Air, but I've noticed something... when moving the computer around, clicking some keys, changing the display angle, ect., the computer makes creaky/crack-like sounds. Not every time, but kinda often during normal use. It's like the body wasn't built 100% solidly, I don't know how else to explain it. Anyone else notice this? *hoping everyone else does so my computer is normal* :P

Gemütlichkeit
Aug 10, 2011, 07:27 PM
Happens on the bottom where the panel meets the body of the laptop.

ZBoater
Aug 10, 2011, 07:30 PM
Did you try a little WD40?

(Kidding :D)

Yumunum
Aug 10, 2011, 07:38 PM

Yep! But then it had oil excess oil all over the body, so I threw it in the wash. I figured the dryer would be overkill, so I just left it out overnight on the porch (it's pretty warm around here). The creaking still persists though :/

orschinger
Aug 10, 2011, 07:43 PM
actually some of the keyboard's keys tend to be quite creaky on my new 13".

misterneums
Aug 10, 2011, 07:44 PM
I just got my new 13" MacBook Air, but I've noticed something... when moving the computer around, clicking some keys, changing the display angle, ect., the computer makes creaky/crack-like sounds. Not every time, but kinda often during normal use. It's like the body wasn't built 100% solidly, I don't know how else to explain it. Anyone else notice this? *hoping everyone else does so my computer is normal* :P

Some people posted about this about 3-4 days after the Air release. You might want to try slightly tightening the torx screws on the bottom.

iphonsteve4ajob
Aug 10, 2011, 07:47 PM

LOLLL! For a second I believed you.

Bokes
Aug 10, 2011, 08:21 PM
My first one had that. It would click every time I picked it up. It was as if the case sealed completely. I returned it due to several other build issues.

The replacement does not click. But it has some other minor build flaws.
It's pick your poison.

IngerMan
Aug 10, 2011, 08:25 PM
My 2010 had it after a few weeks. I ordered the torx driver from iFixit and tightened them up myself. Noise is gone. I figured the $12 was worth having to go to the apple store and wait for the same results.

AppleTech22
Aug 10, 2011, 08:40 PM
Don't know about the air, but I know my MBP creaks when I open the lid slowly.

donster28
Aug 10, 2011, 09:40 PM
Mine has it on the tips of the palm rest, but they only sound on occasions.

Since this is my second replacement due to LCD anomalies, I will not have it replaced. This has a perfect screen and perfect everything else. Creaking can be remedied easily by tightening the screws with the proper driver. I ordered the 5-point pentalobe screw driver form iFixit and awaiting for it to come.

Take my advice and keep it. Just order the screw driver and tighten or re-seat the bottom cover. You also may need it upgrade your SSD if you wish.

Other worse problems might be on any replacement so don't take a chance.

onthecouchagain
Aug 10, 2011, 09:40 PM
Mine creaks too. For the most part I love my Air, but this is yet another example of disenchantment regarding Apple's "premium" products.

iphonsteve4ajob
Aug 10, 2011, 09:58 PM
Sorry to hear about the creaking. As much as people may advise you to keep the laptop and buy a screw driver, I am really against having to do things such as "unscrew" the bottom cover. Order, wait for, then re-tighten or loosen factory installed screws with a special screw driver.

Yes I understand these things happen and the people who bother to state these problems on the forums are probably 0.05% of Apple's customer base, but I still think it sucks. You buy something expensive and beautiful and you just expect it to work. All this jumping through hoops on the consumer side to get it right is BS.

I'd go exchange it and get a new one. I'd keep doing so till I got what I paid for. I'm really just surprised by how many people on these forums have to return their Macs to get ones with no issues. Sad. Especially since we are all so enthusiastic about the product.

Well best of luck!

donster28
Aug 10, 2011, 10:41 PM
Sorry to hear about the creaking. As much as people may advise you to keep the laptop and buy a screw driver, I am really against having to do things such as "unscrew" the bottom cover. Order, wait for, then re-tighten or loosen factory installed screws with a special screw driver.

Yes I understand these things happen and the people who bother to state these problems on the forums are probably 0.05% of Apple's customer base, but I still think it sucks. You buy something expensive and beautiful and you just expect it to work. All this jumping through hoops on the consumer side to get it right is BS.

I'd go exchange it and get a new one. I'd keep doing so till I got what I paid for. I'm really just surprised by how many people on these forums have to return their Macs to get ones with no issues. Sad. Especially since we are all so enthusiastic about the product.

Well best of luck!

I have been there, done that. I've exchanged defective ones only to find out my replacements are defective in some other way. As much as we'd like to admit that we should be getting perfect, premium products for what we pay for, it's sad to know that problems will still exist in any of these said premium products.

I have set a condition on MacBook exchanges and my priority is still the LCD screen because this is what I will be looking at 90% of the time. Malfunctioning components is second then cosmetic imperfections follow. Anything I can remedy easily, like a loose, creaking lid, I will attempt to remedy myself since this only involves a painless process.

I admit, some of us don't like to tinker, but in my experience, this might be necessary to save us from going back to the store for numerous replacements.

Just my 2 centavos. :)

LeakedDave
Aug 10, 2011, 10:45 PM
My 2010 13" Air creaked. My 2011 one does not creak. Maybe it's a hit or miss? I literally try to get this thing to creak and it won't.

misterneums
Aug 10, 2011, 10:50 PM

Well best of luck!

Torx is not a special screw driver. I know Apple has some Tri-wing screws to stop people from getting into their computers, but you can pick up a Torx screwdriver at any local hardware store...hell, even Wal-mart

jsolares
Aug 10, 2011, 10:58 PM
Mine doesn't creak but i noticed that if i apply some pressure on the back it'll move around a bit, as if the screw is too long or loose but it doesn't creak so i'll let it be, i have another 360 or so days to have it looked at.

samiznaetekto
Aug 10, 2011, 10:59 PM
Did you check your drive/display models? I wouldn't be surprised if it was Toshiba/LG :D

jsolares
Aug 10, 2011, 10:59 PM
Torx is not a special screw driver. I know Apple has some Tri-wing screws to stop people from getting into their computers, but you can pick up a Torx screwdriver at any local hardware store...hell, even Wal-mart

It's not torx, it's pentalobe http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/MacBook-Air-5-Point-Pentalobe-Screwdriver/IF145-090

Yumunum
Aug 10, 2011, 11:35 PM
To the person asking what the screen/SSD is: Samsung, for both! :) Which is one good reason I wouldn't want to return it. Also, in my other experiences, returning a product gives me one with new problems.

I think I'm going to order those screwdrivers from iFixit. They may come in handy for other things too! Fingers and toes crossed that it will work... It's pretty annoying having my laptop kinda seem like it was made of creaky plastic

tomaseriksson
Aug 11, 2011, 12:05 AM
My new 13" air creaked before, I fixed it by ordering a $5 pentalobe screwdriver from ebay (needed one anyway so that I can adjust the touchpad on my old 11" air). I losened all the screws by half a turn, re-aligned the bottom and tightened them again. No more "creaking".

samiznaetekto
Aug 11, 2011, 09:10 PM
To the person asking what the screen/SSD is: Samsung, for both! :) Which is one good reason I wouldn't want to return it.

Excellent. Then you can solve your problem by wearing ear plugs at all times. No more creaking!

For those unfortunate souls who have Toshiba/LG, use creaking as an excuse to ask for a replacement - your chance to get Samsung components!!! In this case, creaking is your friend!

Typswif2fingers
Aug 12, 2011, 06:07 AM
I have noticed that when using the notebook on my lap, when I press on the wrist rest (and the back - the hinge side - lifts up) it makes some noise that I really do not know how to classify.. Clicky sound.. as if you were clicking on a card with a nail... but not as loud... (So hard to describe noise)

It happens mostly if the screen is not open fully.

It does not occur on a flat/hard surface.

I spent some time trying to identify the source but was unable to do, it all seems sturdy and there is no loose movement whatsoever.

I have wrapsol on and it could be that the bottom makes that sound if the notebook is moved on the lap, but I am really not sure.

I have already changed my original MBA for a new one due to some technical issues. I am going to organise an appointment next week with the store to see whether they can find anything.

It is kinda doing my head in, mainly because I do not know what it is.

donster28
Aug 12, 2011, 04:23 PM
Just got my 5-point pentalobe screw driver from iFixit and it worked perfectly! No more creaking for me so far.

My advice is to not remove the bottom cover at all but to just loosen the screws slightly one by one then tighten them up.

When loosening the screws, be careful not to loose them...they can easily slip off and hide some place you won't be able to find them. Just loosen them but not remove them.

When tightening, tighten the screws on the ends first then the ones in between.

Be careful not to over-tighten since these screw heads don't have much room for your screw driver to latch on to. You may end up with a dead screw or a scratched MacBook Air, caused by a slipping screw driver. Either way, it's not a pleasant thing. Just be patient and don't rush. Again, do not push the screw driver in while tightening the screws! This will make it slip and scratch your precious MacBook Air!

Good thing I learned this from the past...I now have a prestine, solid, creak free MacBook Air 13"!

This should also save you a trip to the Apple Store. :)

The Catalyst
Aug 12, 2011, 04:47 PM
I had a rec C that creaked a bit when being moved around. Never really worried about it.

jason.siegel
Aug 12, 2011, 05:00 PM
Is RAM upgradeable on the Air if we have the screw?

donster28
Aug 12, 2011, 05:01 PM
Is RAM upgradeable on the Air if we have the screw?

No it's not unfortunately, just the SSD module is upgradeable.

andmm
Aug 12, 2011, 08:21 PM
Also had the same problem.
as I write in this tread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1209334&highlight=

"One the new noisy one, the build quality actually seems better, because the alu-body is more creaking on the old one. So that a little dilemma."

The Catalyst
Aug 12, 2011, 08:28 PM
Just checked the new 13" i5 we picked up at launch; this one's not a creak'r.

MistaMacky
Aug 12, 2011, 10:32 PM
I guess it makes some noise when I move it, a mild "creak" ... I guess ... ?

donster28
Aug 12, 2011, 10:43 PM
Just an observation:

My 13" did not creak a lot but it creaked nonetheless. It also happened when the MBA was warmer.

Now that I had the chance to re-tighten the screws, the creaking has gone so far, even when it's warm.

I am a happy owner of a solid machine...solid as it should be.

iphonsteve4ajob
Aug 12, 2011, 10:45 PM
I have set a condition on MacBook exchanges and my priority is still the LCD screen because this is what I will be looking at 90% of the time. Malfunctioning components is second then cosmetic imperfections follow. Anything I can remedy easily, like a loose, creaking lid, I will attempt to remedy myself since this only involves a painless process.

Not a bad idea...guess to each his own. I believe that "it is" possible to get a laptop without any major defects.

----------

Good point. However, some of us just don't like to tinker. :o

vkuber
Aug 13, 2011, 12:18 AM
Just picked my 13' baseline MBA up and I have the same problem while its sitting in my lap at the moment. In my opinion something like this I don't feel like I should be the one that has to fix this issue or drive once again to the Apple store to get it fixed. I'll never doubt Apple's QC control but this is getting some what annoying at the moment.

Typswif2fingers
Aug 13, 2011, 02:38 AM
I have managed to isolate the problem.

The left hand side hinge creaks even though it does not appear to be loose...

The noise occurs if there is small amount of pressure being put on the bottom left hand side of the screen. The same amount of pressure does not cause any noise on either the other side of the screen or on the MBP screen.

Edit: as stated before the noise is also heard when using the MBA on lap.

I tried to apply small amount of oil onto the (hair clippers oiling brush) and dab the area very lightly.. but it does not seem to be working.

Not sure whether if I take it back to the store they can do anything about it.

smf72
Aug 13, 2011, 08:10 AM
I have the same issue. happens only when I pick it up from a flat surface at the bottom left. Slight click, I mean I have to listen for it. Tried realigining the case to no avail. It is so minor I will probably live with it. Part of my guess is the gauge of the metal is thinner then any macbook pro so there is inherient flex to it. We are all way to OCD here, including me.http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon7.gif

MTD's Mac
Aug 13, 2011, 11:45 AM
Mine creaks slightly when I put pressure on opposite corners of the keyboard. However, there is zero creaking when I run my finger along the black hinge cover, which was a noisy problem area with my 2010 MBP. In each case, it's so minor compared to the glaring build flaws in most plastic PC notebooks.

robby818
Aug 13, 2011, 03:23 PM
The 11" I received from amazon would make a noise similar the trackpad being pressed if you squeezed it firmly in the middle of the back while closed. It may actually have been the trackpad clicking i am not sure. I have a 2010 11" which makes no noise whatsoever so i knew that it wasn't normal. Did an exchange and the new one is totally solid. Guess there are some oddities in the case.

Streffert
Aug 13, 2011, 07:34 PM
my 11" i5 does, especially when i have it on my lap in bed (like now) and is driving me someone crazy, i have a tosh/lg, however i may just purchase the screwdriver for mentioned and tighten it up, i have 6 more days left out of my 14.

onthecouchagain
Aug 14, 2011, 02:07 AM
You know, at first I didn't think the creaking would bother me... and for a while I was actually okay with it. Until I realized that all it takes is the slightest amount of weight on the lower right side of the palm rest, and it'll creak -- or more accurately, it'll click. The slightest bit of touch to that area, and it clicks. It's actually pretty ridiculous the more I think about it. It's starting to bother me. I may bring it into Apple and have them get it tightened or whatever. This is not what premium should feel like, and it's disappointing.

Has anybody done this yet? What's the process? Just bring it in and tell them that it's creaking/clicking, and they'll take it back and tighten it?

Chipg
Aug 14, 2011, 02:12 AM

Yes, I have it. I bought mine to lay on the couch and work, I have had it one week and it is creaking. That being said, It creaks a lot less than my old higher powered PC laptop.

----------

I have managed to isolate the problem.

The left hand side hinge creaks even though it does not appear to be loose...

The noise occurs if there is small amount of pressure being put on the bottom left hand side of the screen. The same amount of pressure does not cause any noise on either the other side of the screen or on the MBP screen.

Edit: as stated before the noise is also heard when using the MBA on lap.

I tried to apply small amount of oil onto the (hair clippers oiling brush) and dab the area very lightly.. but it does not seem to be working.

Not sure whether if I take it back to the store they can do anything about it.

Type with two fingers :)

thatsfinebut
Aug 15, 2011, 03:58 PM
I just brought my 13" i7 MacBook Air in because of the creaking problem (mine happens every few minutes on my lap), and because I'm getting very poor battery life. The technician told me he would take the Air in back and try to reseat the bottom of the case. He was gone for a while. When he came back, he said he couldn't reseat the bottom because there is some piece in the center of the bottom panel that is supposed to grab onto the upper body of the Air and it was broken. He didn't realize the piece was broken until he tried the reseating and couldn't get the piece to latch on. So, he said he replaced the whole bottom panel of the Air (which apparently has the battery attached to it). So, hopefully the creaking problem and my battery issues will both be gone (although the battery does have an age of 28 weeks).

crspechicn
Aug 15, 2011, 09:41 PM
I got a 13" base model two days after launch, and it creaked like an old rocking chair. I brought it in, they tightened the base screws and it got better for a while, but came right back after a few days.

Brought it back in, they replaced it completely and put an orange sticker on the old one, which apparently means they're sending it to Apple's engineers to have them figure out what is wrong.

The new one is much better, but still makes a trackpad-like click if you're using it on your lap and you adjust your hands while typing or pick it up from the side. Still frustrating, but its much better than it was. Maybe I'm just OCD.

Streffert
Aug 17, 2011, 05:15 PM
I also took mine in today and had it tightened, however, only after an hour of use on my lap it has come back....Ive made another appt for tomorrow and ill just get a replacement.

Yumunum
Aug 17, 2011, 05:25 PM
Two days ago I got a replacement for other issues. My new Air doesn't creak at all, it's marvelous and my computer no longer feels cheaply made

onthecouchagain
Aug 17, 2011, 05:27 PM
but still makes a trackpad-like click if you're using it on your lap and you adjust your hands while typing or pick it up from the side.

That's exactly what I hear on mine. I don't know if exchanging them for new ones now would change anything. It seems to be a design flaw or something in the production side for all of these initial Air shipments.

Between the creaking of my Air and dust getting behind the glass of my iMac, I'm really becoming disenchanted by Apple and the hefty price we pay for such "premium" products. They seem to care more about form over function in terms of hardware.

donster28
Aug 17, 2011, 06:32 PM
Two days ago I got a replacement for other issues. My new Air doesn't creak at all, it's marvelous and my computer no longer feels cheaply made

Good to hear! Let us know if your new one stays creakless.

jsolares
Aug 17, 2011, 06:40 PM
That's exactly what I hear on mine. I don't know if exchanging them for new ones now would change anything. It seems to be a design flaw or something in the production side for all of these initial Air shipments.

Between the creaking of my Air and dust getting behind the glass of my iMac, I'm really becoming disenchanted by Apple and the hefty price we pay for such "premium" products. They seem to care more about form over function in terms of hardware.

I wish it was dust behind the glass in the iMacs, it's dust between the lcd and the backlight :S, at least the air i got seems to have no problems at all.

radiohead14
Aug 17, 2011, 09:48 PM
The 11" I received from amazon would make a noise similar the trackpad being pressed if you squeezed it firmly in the middle of the back while closed. It may actually have been the trackpad clicking i am not sure. I have a 2010 11" which makes no noise whatsoever so i knew that it wasn't normal. Did an exchange and the new one is totally solid. Guess there are some oddities in the case.

i had this issue also.. sounded exactly like the trackpad was being pressed when it wasn't. took it to the apple store to get the bottom panel reseated. the first time, the "genius" said that it was due to the battery clip slightly hitting the bottom panel. after he reseated, the clicking sound was less noticeable, but still there. so i took it back a second time, and this time (knock on wood), it seems that the issue has gone away.

phyzics101
Aug 17, 2011, 10:12 PM
Nope

Yumunum
Aug 18, 2011, 07:17 PM
Nope

Very to the point! lol.

And btw for the poster who wanted me to report back on if my replacement starts creaking... It still doesn't creak. I'm pretty glad. I don't rememember I'd I specified on my first post (and I'm on my iPhone and too lazy to look at it) but it did sound like the trackpad most of the time.

Lurchdubious
Aug 18, 2011, 07:36 PM
My first 13" Air, bought in March 2011, was creaky and just didn't feel as solid as it should. I ended up selling that one (to get my backlit keyboard back when the current gen was released), and I didn't notice it on that one. Ended up taking that back to the Fruit Store a few days later for a defective USB port and now this, my 3rd Air, is flawless. Completely love it!

Fizwidget
Aug 18, 2011, 07:46 PM
My MBA also makes the occasional click/crack sound. Moving the lid or putting pressure on the body can trigger it. Kinda annoying, as it does make it feel a bit cheap.

Believe it or not, my 2008 unibody MacBook did the exact same thing. Tightening the screws fixed it (for the most part), so I've ordered a $5 pentalobe screwdriver from eBay and plan to try the same thing on my Air.

You'd think Apple would have fixed this issue since releasing the first unibody MacBooks in '08. I guess not!

tsdeng
Aug 18, 2011, 07:59 PM
It will make wired noise sometimes. But that's the way it is... It should be better after using it for couple months I guess

Acronyc
Aug 18, 2011, 08:01 PM
My 2010 11" was creaking a bit and after two trips to the Apple store they were able to fix it (they actually made it worse after my first visit). It's been creak free since then. I know creaks can be annoying, but after my Alienware fiasco I've learned that things could be much worse.

onthecouchagain
Aug 18, 2011, 10:51 PM
I don't know about you guys but my creaking is definitely getting worse. =T

Reason077
Aug 19, 2011, 08:46 AM
My 2010 13" creaks quite a bit now too. Seems to come from around the trackpad area and display hinge, mostly when picking the Air up and moving it (not so much when opening and closing the display).

It didn't do it when it was new - seems to have developed over time. Haven't tried tightening the screws yet.

Streffert
Aug 19, 2011, 10:13 AM
I went a swapped mine out for a new one and, well, I'm not going to jinx myself ;)

AppleTech22
Aug 19, 2011, 10:25 AM
Don't know about the air, but I know my MBP creaks when I open the lid slowly.

Now with my new Air everything is very smooth and isn't making a peep. Wonderful Laptop.

onthecouchagain
Aug 19, 2011, 10:54 PM
BTW, went to Best Buy and got it exchanged for a new one. Creak-free so far. I am much more satisfied. In fact, the overall laptop feels really solid now when picking it up. It makes quite a difference.

Yumunum
Aug 19, 2011, 10:56 PM
The creak problem is so odd... Because, somehow it effects us so much. It's hard to explain.

Some people may call us crazy, but it makes a big difference!

superego
Aug 20, 2011, 06:06 AM
The creak problem is so odd... Because, somehow it effects us so much. It's hard to explain.

Some people may call us crazy, but it makes a big difference!

Something that creaks all the time can hardly be called high quality. Creaking makes the laptop feel cheap, while solid feels durable and exudes quality.

Artmuzz
Aug 20, 2011, 06:40 AM
My MBA is stating to creak when I lift it under the base with one hand. I think the reason for it starting to creak is because I carry it in my backpack a lot of the time.

dsc888
Aug 20, 2011, 10:13 AM
My 2011 MBA 13" cracked and creaked badly as well. But I didn't want to return it since I got the Samsung display and SSD. I bought the pentalobe screwdriver from Ebay and did it once and it reduced it. Then yesterday, I waited till the computer warmed up after some Youtube videos. I retightened the screws and they were all loose! Apparently, the head allowed the screws and cover to loosen up. The creaking is 99% fixed now.

Gemütlichkeit
Aug 20, 2011, 11:19 AM
Anyone confirm that torquing the screws fixed the problem?

Fizwidget
Aug 24, 2011, 07:10 AM

Yep, I can.

My pentalobe screw driver arrived today. I've just finished tightening each of the 10 screws by a very small amount (maybe 1/2 a rotation each). My MBA is now silent!

donster28
Aug 24, 2011, 12:24 PM

As with my earlier response on this thread (with included detailed precautions), yes, it did fix my MBA's creaking problem. :)

daquma
Aug 29, 2011, 09:47 PM
I took the bottom panel off and stuck a piece of vinyl electrical tape (Scotch 3m 700) on the black plastic nub that is in the middle of the back panel. Screwed the back panel back on and no more creaking noise.

agentphish
Nov 10, 2011, 11:16 AM
I have a 2 week old MBA, I notice the creaking a decent amount just sitting here with it on my lap on the couch typing and it will creak some from the bottom right front corner mostly is what i have noticed.

polee
Nov 17, 2011, 09:07 AM
Mine creaked. I brought it back for the base to be reseated. Since then it has not creaked. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Poindexter333
Nov 17, 2011, 02:53 PM
Mine is creaking too, mainly at the bottom corners. Even more after 2 months.

And the trackpad has almost stopped clicking- just the tiniest bit of travel left. Looks like a trip to the Genius Bar is in order soon. Luckily it's only 10 minutes away.

Am I correct that both of these are fixable at the Stores? (Probably)

These little things don't make me all that upset anymore- not after being with Apple since 1977- and after using PC equipment, and after seeing the awfulness that some other companies put out there. :D

Christopher387A
Nov 17, 2011, 09:45 PM
My 13" 2010 MBA would creak slightly on the bottom left corner when pressed. Didn't start to happen until after 4 months or so. Annoying, but I looked past it for some MBA love. :D

Yumunum
Nov 17, 2011, 09:48 PM
It's fun to see my older threads still alive! Haha.

I actually do have some new stuff to say though... My Air is getting really creaky. Like, worse than before. Mostly when I adjust the display. It's kinda odd.

daonesteven
Nov 27, 2011, 10:59 AM
i dont know if this is the type of creak that people are referring to, but the center area of the bottom of my 11" air "gives" or "flexes" a tad to the point where it hits something, which I'm assuming is the logic board or something. I don't remember this happening before I had water damage and had to replace the logic board, but it's doing it now which is unpleasant. There's an ever so small gap now which is why it's causing the small creak in mine whenever I lift it with one hand.