PDA

View Full Version : Page 2: Fake Apple iPhone 5 Website 'Leak'

MacRumors
Aug 10, 2011, 08:16 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/10/page-2-fake-apple-iphone-5-website-leak/)

Based on the number of submissions we're still getting for this fake iPhone 5 "leak", it seems we need to acknowledge it. The video has been circulating for a few days, but seems to have hit its stride in the last 24 hours.

The video claims to show the iPhone 5 discovered by a mistake on one of Apple's international sites. Here's the video for reference:

jxYnuHX3LCI
We never posted it because it was a clear fake. We post it here, only to try to avoid ongoing submissions about it. TUAW did their own (http://www.tuaw.com/2011/08/09/blurrycam-theatre-presents-the-i-have-too-much-free-time-phone/) debunking of the video, but the clearest evidence is that the first frame of the video shows all the pages were loaded off the creator's hard drive before the Apple urls were edited in.

The other pretty clear evidence is that while public Apple website leaks have happened in the past, it's not something that only one person with a screen capture program happens to see. A mistake like that spreads, and fast.

Article Link: Page 2: Fake Apple iPhone 5 Website 'Leak' (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/10/page-2-fake-apple-iphone-5-website-leak/)

stevenlangley1
Aug 10, 2011, 08:19 PM
Nice fake, none the less.

alexbates
Aug 10, 2011, 08:20 PM
Lol, I saw this video yesterday. That's just something that some random Joe decided to make to trick people.

Of course Apple would display a picture of an iPhone on their site saying "No Service"...

res1233
Aug 10, 2011, 08:21 PM
I really shouldn't post when I'm drunk, but that site was awesome... I love you all!

FortMOney
Aug 10, 2011, 08:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I want that phone!!!

modit
Aug 10, 2011, 08:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I really shouldn't post when I'm drunk, but that site was awesome... I love you all!

We love you too res1233

*LTD*
Aug 10, 2011, 08:28 PM

Back at ya. ;)

gorskiegangsta
Aug 10, 2011, 08:42 PM
Dang, I cannot believe the trouble some people are willing to go through just to gain others' attention. Fake or not, you've got to admit, the design is pretty sweet.

mrelwood
Aug 10, 2011, 08:57 PM
Man, what a fake! I envy the person who had the will and skill to do all that. Strange he didn't cut out the first frame of the video.

Fake or not, you've got to admit, the design is pretty sweet.

I believe that is very close to what we will see in a few weeks. Funny detail; the "specs" said 32GB or 64GB of flash memory... :o)

saving107
Aug 10, 2011, 09:13 PM
The iPhone on this video (I think looks better).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iS_gc3c42s&feature=youtu.be

Current thread discussing this video
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1210120

So yesterday a thread with this Fake iPhone 5 Website link was sent to Wasteland, now today its Page 2 news, what changed?

sarabear0080
Aug 10, 2011, 09:17 PM
very nice!:apple:

BCurry1
Aug 10, 2011, 09:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

That was impressive. Can't believe he took the time to do that for a fake rumor, but the guy defanitly has some photoshop skills.

WillEH
Aug 10, 2011, 09:35 PM
Arn, why are you justifying to us, posting news/rumors on your OWN website? Don't allow the nit pickers to worry you.

On to the news, I do hope that the new iPhone 5 is like all the "fakes" going round. But I'm sad to hear it may be the same design as the iPhone 4 ;(

Burke Hamblin
Aug 10, 2011, 09:44 PM
Apple fakesters always get the fonts wrong. If they could master that aspect, some of these photos/videos would be quite convincing.

AppleInLVX
Aug 10, 2011, 09:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Still like this mockup better than the one created from the supposed cases floating around.

Les Kern
Aug 10, 2011, 10:06 PM
Fake.
And yet...

winks360
Aug 10, 2011, 10:10 PM
Dear Jonny Ive,

Please make an iPhone look like this.

Thanks

ezekielrage_99
Aug 10, 2011, 10:12 PM
I would have been more convinced it there was a G5 Powerbook or lift somewhere in the video. Or close encounters of the blurred kind could work.

Either way the dead give away is usually with the treatment to typographic, the glaringly obvious error in how the fake surfaces and use of colour, if the fakesters could get this right I would be fooled :cool:

ppdix
Aug 10, 2011, 10:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thats a lot of work for a fake video.
Fake or not. I love the look and i hope the real iPhone 5 looks similar.

batchtaster
Aug 10, 2011, 10:46 PM
"No Service"...

And the ultimate giveaway: the time isn't 9:41.

Lord Appleseed
Aug 10, 2011, 10:56 PM
LOL @ the grammatical mistakes:

"GRÖSSERER DISPLAY" is not right. :rolleyes:
There is no direct translation of the mistake to english, since english lacks that part of grammar, but the closest you could get to would be:
"Biggerer Display" :rolleyes:

ProwlingTiger
Aug 10, 2011, 11:01 PM

There is no direct translation of the mistake to english, since english lacks that part of grammatics, but the closest you could get to would be:

Actually, größerer is a correct Deutsch word. Thanks for playing.

Caliber26
Aug 10, 2011, 11:09 PM

Love you back!!

PS: I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who can't resist coming on this site, even when out partying and/or drinking. :D

sevenyears
Aug 10, 2011, 11:11 PM
I feel bad for the guy. Looks like he spent a lot of time on the pictures but totally botched it up by not paying attention to details:
-91% battery
-Time
-No service
-Crappy website colors (apple would never do gray backgrounds like that...not clean enough)
-Unrealistic (hidden link, wtf?)

NAG
Aug 10, 2011, 11:13 PM
Lol, I saw this video yesterday. That's just something that some random Joe decided to make to trick people.

Of course Apple would display a picture of an iPhone on their site saying "No Service"...

I have to say there is a bunch of somewhat subtle mocking in this video (the signature/his username in the url bar kind of takes the cake).

shartypants
Aug 10, 2011, 11:22 PM
Amazing effort for a fake.

creeman
Aug 11, 2011, 12:15 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

So many things wrong with this fake it's not even funny. How anyone thought it was legit is beyond me.

Anthony T
Aug 11, 2011, 12:31 AM
A black aluminum casing would be awesome (and a white aluminum one as well).

13stagestudio
Aug 11, 2011, 01:46 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nice fake :))

TheShore
Aug 11, 2011, 02:08 AM
Actually, größerer is a correct Deutsch word. Thanks for playing.

True. But it's orthographically wrong anyway because "display" ist neuter and not "male" so it has to be like this "größeres display" :)

kemo
Aug 11, 2011, 03:00 AM
Love you back!!

PS: I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who can't resist coming on this site, even when out partying and/or drinking. :D

more love to you both! same here with drinking :P

Bo98
Aug 11, 2011, 03:38 AM
:eek: Page 2 has returned! :p

Popman1962
Aug 11, 2011, 04:40 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

May not be 100% accurate but I bet it's not far off.

Lord Appleseed
Aug 11, 2011, 05:25 AM

There is no direct translation of the mistake to english, since english lacks that part of grammar, but the closest you could get to would be:

Actually, größerer is a correct Deutsch word. Thanks for playing.Ich habe nicht gesagt, dass es ein falsches Wort ist, sondern das es grammatisch falsch ist (in diesem Zusammenhang). Richtig wäre "größerES Display"
Deutsch ist meine Erstsprache also streite nicht mit mir.

I didn't say it's not a correct word, i said its grammatically wrong (when used in that context). Correct would be "größerES Display".
I am a native german speaker, so don't try to argue with me.

Bronken
Aug 11, 2011, 07:56 AM

I didn't say it's not a correct word, i said its grammatically wrong (when used in that context). Correct would be "größerES Display".

+1 for Appleseed, "größerer Display" is totally wrong. Its "größeres"

hellodon
Aug 11, 2011, 08:01 AM
What bothers me most about this is that the font is CLEARLY different. They put so much time and effort into this and couldnt even match the font. It looks like a different version of myriad than the one that Apple uses...and its really visible on the back of the unit. To go THIS far and not have that detail perfect is just a massive fail. I didnt see the URL or the comments yesterday and knew it was fake because of that alone.

deannnnn
Aug 11, 2011, 08:22 AM
Strange he didn't cut out the first frame of the video.

He must have been editing on Final Cut Pro X.

c613m
Aug 11, 2011, 08:25 AM
Clearly a fake. Kind of hard to believe someone would bother putting this much effort into it. Apple pays attention to detail. Too many little things wrong with this. Time on iPhone is wrong, No Service (FAIL). Font on back of iPhone is utter FAIL.

Apple just needs to announce their new phone already so we can get on with it!!

vampyren
Aug 11, 2011, 09:04 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Indeed, video was awesome and honestly i thought it was real before i reas the article :)

WestonHarvey1
Aug 11, 2011, 09:20 AM

LOL. Can't get over the embarrassment of someone with probably a single year of high school German saying "Thanks for playing" to a native speaker :)

winston1236
Aug 11, 2011, 09:27 AM
Apple fakesters always get the fonts wrong. If they could master that aspect, some of these photos/videos would be quite convincing.

the typeface is widely available

writingdevil
Aug 11, 2011, 09:44 AM
LOL. Can't get over the embarrassment of someone with probably a single year of high school German saying "Thanks for playing" to a native speaker :)

not only that, he doesn't seem to know English very well, either...

"since english lacks that part of grammatics,

...as there is no such word in English

Navdakilla
Aug 11, 2011, 09:50 AM
Love that look!!!
Please come out soon!!

Alex9773
Aug 11, 2011, 09:52 AM
Nice fake, but the "hidden link" thing really is totally unrealistic (especially for :apple: :D )

PS:
Ich habe nicht gesagt das es ein falsches Wort ist, [...]

Actually it has to be "Ich habe nicht gesagt, dass es ein falsches Wort ist [...]" ;)

Tucom
Aug 11, 2011, 10:08 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH^^^

But true, took german, got you there Appleseed, aber est ist also sehr gut :)

dweezle3
Aug 11, 2011, 10:31 AM
lol, iphone and german in one thread. wunderbar! :D

FrizzleFryBen
Aug 11, 2011, 10:34 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH^^^

Booyah Appleseed! Deine mutter ist sehr preiswert! Sorry, that's the only thing I remember from German class 15 years ago :eek:

Edit: I really should clarify I this was meant to be amusing and in no way a jab or directed at Appleseed. It's just fun to say.

Lord Appleseed
Aug 11, 2011, 11:16 AM
not only that, he doesn't seem to know English very well, either...

"since english lacks that part of grammatics,

...as there is no such word in EnglishYou seem to misunderstand something here. I am the native german speaker, but i agree that i made a mistake with the word "grammar" lol...that one always gets me.

PS:

Actually it has to be "Ich habe nicht gesagt, dass es ein falsches Wort ist [...]" ;) Da hast du recht, peinlich peinlich...ich sollte mir mehr Zeit zum Schreiben nehmen. Ich hab mir nach dem Schreiben schon so gedacht das sich da was nicht richtig anhört. Aber zu meiner Verteidigung, Beistrich-Fehler/Komma-Fehler sind weniger schlimm....

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH^^^

"aber es ist auch sehr gut" ;)

Yeah he got me with that one :D

But I guess we can agree on the fact that when someone wants to make a "good fake", he should at least get the grammar right, especially when it is in the headline of the page. "GRÖSSERER DISPLAY" lol :rolleyes:

lol, iphone and german in one thread. wunderbar! :D
WUNDERBAR!!!

FireFish
Aug 11, 2011, 01:04 PM
Watching this video two times made me realize how sad it is that I'm sitting here working my tail off to 'give back to society' and that there's actually people out there who have that much free time on their hands to go thru making this, only to publish it, have it immediately disproven, and above all, get absolutely no credit for their work.

:confused:

What a bunch of dumb $h*ts.

dweezle3
Aug 12, 2011, 12:43 AM
Ich denke dass wir nur auf Deutsch schreiben sollen. Es macht mehr Spaß :) Obwohl mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut :o

Mr. Retrofire
Aug 12, 2011, 05:26 AM
the typeface is widely available

No, it is not "widely available". The Myriad font, yes, but not the exact version which Apple uses. All Adobe Myriad variants are slightly different (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typography_of_Apple_Inc.#Myriad). You can see the differences in InDesign, if you compare a picture from Apples website with all other Myriad variants.

captaincookie
Aug 12, 2011, 09:28 AM
sorry for the divert, but does anyone have an idea whether the new iPhone 5 will be entirely made of transparent glass or something similar? I saw a couple of pictures but it seemed like a fake.

thanks for sharing your insights

technicsdj
Aug 14, 2011, 01:45 AM
The TV Spot area gives this away. I would love to see the tv spot.

Lefty Loco
Aug 15, 2011, 08:58 AM
It is a really well-done fake. My question is - Who has the time to produce such elaborate fakes? And why? :confused:

acunit86
Aug 20, 2011, 12:31 AM
It is a really well-done fake. My question is - Who has the time to produce such elaborate fakes? And why? :confused:

No kidding--someone get this guy a job. He obviously has skillz

Macman45
Aug 20, 2011, 12:34 AM
They sure put it on a crash diet in that video....The phone is much too thin to be real...All this speculation will end shortly...:)