PDA

View Full Version : USB Gigabit Ethernet Adapter for MBA 2011

tech324
Aug 10, 2011, 09:18 PM
Anyone try a USB gigabit ethernet adapter for the new MBA 2011 with Lion? I need one for when I travel. I know you can get cheap 100MB usb to ethernet on Ebay but I don't know if they work for Lion and how well they work. Any help is appreciated.

misterneums
Aug 10, 2011, 09:22 PM
Anyone try a USB gigabit ethernet adapter for the new MBA 2011 with Lion? I need one for when I travel. I know you can get cheap 100MB usb to ethernet on Ebay but I don't know if they work for Lion and how well they work. Any help is appreciated.

USB 2.0 cannot handle gigabit ethernet. You'l have to go with a 100baset usb adaptor if you need wired access.

KylePowers
Aug 10, 2011, 09:31 PM
Wait for a Thunderbolt adapter if you need gigabit speeds
http://www.thunderbolt-peripherals.com/_Media/ethernet-adapter.jpeg

tech324
Aug 10, 2011, 09:38 PM
USB 2.0 cannot handle gigabit ethernet. You'l have to go with a 100baset usb adaptor if you need wired access.

I guess I don't necessarily need gigabit speeds, I need the type of adapter more than the speed. I know USB 2.0 can get upto 480 mb/sec (theoretically) so if I did get a USB 2.0 gigabit adapter I would at least get better than 100mb/sec.

Anyways, Even if someone has tried a 100mb adapter in Lion that would be great also.

I might wait for the thunderbolt one but depending on how long that takes I might want to get a cheap 100mb adapter for now. But it needs to work in Lion.

TheRealDamager
Aug 10, 2011, 09:49 PM
I would HIGHLY recommend you just buy the Apple one, even though it is overpriced. I ordered several cheaper versions from EBay, and had constant issues with driver support. The Apple version just works, and if your time is valuable, just buy it.

BTW - that Thunderbolt adapter is HUGE!

tech324
Aug 10, 2011, 09:59 PM
I hope the thunderbolt gigabit adapter does not look like that.

I hope that you can use a thunderbolt gigabit adapter and a thunderbolt display at the same time on the air

KittyKatta
Aug 10, 2011, 10:37 PM

I hope that you can use a thunderbolt gigabit adapter and a thunderbolt display at the same time on the air
It could look even bigger if it has a pass through Thunderbolt Port.

Anyway, all this TB talk drives me nuts. Where the heck are the peripherals already? I want to know what sort of pricing we're going to see because if its expensive then the lack of USB3 is a major letdown.

jsolares
Aug 10, 2011, 11:05 PM

well the Thunderbolt display from apple has a gigabit ethernet port, and you should be able as long as either the gigabit adapter or the display has an extra thunderbolt port for daisy chaining

tech324
Aug 10, 2011, 11:13 PM
It could look even bigger if it has a pass through Thunderbolt Port.

Anyway, all this TB talk drives me nuts. Where the heck are the peripherals already? I want to know what sort of pricing we're going to see because if its expensive then the lack of USB3 is a major letdown.

I don't see why Apple didn't put USB 3.0 in the AIRs. I mean, its backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and Sandy Bridge supports it. I would think it would be the best choice.

ender21
Aug 10, 2011, 11:18 PM

Many of us use this, or a variant of this using the same ASIX chipset:
monoprice gigabit adapter (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031102&p_id=5345&seq=1&format=2)

While the Apple device may have rock-solid reliability, it is true you're limited by the 100mbps speed rather than by USB2.0's 480mbps.

I usually get anywhere between 160-225mbps.

You'll need to manually install the 3.5 (or later) driver located here:

asix driver (http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pItemdetail&PItemID=84;71;100&PLine=71)

tech324
Aug 11, 2011, 11:15 AM
Many of us use this, or a variant of this using the same ASIX chipset:
monoprice gigabit adapter (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031102&p_id=5345&seq=1&format=2)

While the Apple device may have rock-solid reliability, it is true you're limited by the 100mbps speed rather than by USB2.0's 480mbps.

I usually get anywhere between 160-225mbps.

You'll need to manually install the 3.5 (or later) driver located here:

asix driver (http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pItemdetail&PItemID=84;71;100&PLine=71)

This works in Lion?

ender21
Aug 11, 2011, 12:17 PM
This works in Lion?

I haven't had an issue with it on my 13" 2011 MBA running Lion, or on my now-sold 2010 13" MBA running the Lion GM.

My wife, however has had Lion issues I don't have on her 2011 11" (unrelated to the gigabit adapter), so as always, YMMV.

ZipZap
Aug 11, 2011, 12:33 PM
This works in Lion?

Yes.

Just make sure to reinstall the driver if you upgraded to Lion and already had the monoprice adapter.