Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tanto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
USA
After I upgraded my OS to Lion, I noticed that I can no longer play .avi files using the DIVx codec using the QuickTime Player. QT seems to be trying to play the movie frame-by-frame, because if I hold down the spacebar, I can get the movie to play, but it's super slow motion playback. VLC plays it just fine and I made sure that my DIVx codec version was current.

Any ideas?

Tanto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
USA
I already used Perian and the official DivX codec, but I took the precaution of removing the official DivX codec with no change. Seems to be a problem with QT in Lion to properly use 3rd party codecs since I didin't have this problem with Snow Leopard.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Use VLC. Don't ever use anything else. QuickTime has many problems in Lion. I can't play some MOV files that I used to be able to play! How stupid is that?

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
I am also having problems with Quicktime X playing some (not all) .avi & .mov files.

Quicktime 7 Pro (that has carried over on my computer since Leopard) still plays everything fine.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
The video of MPEG4 files in the AVI format plays fine on Lion for me. The audio, however, is another story: the only sound I can get out of Lion while trying to play AVIs is a loud, fast-paced beep/hiss. Very annoying. And this is with no external codecs other than Perian installed. It seems to especially afflict AVI files with AC3 audio, but not with good old fashioned MP3 or even MP4/AAC audio. Of course, VLC plays the videos fine, as it doesn't use Apple's QT Frameworks.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Install MPlayerX from the app store. It's free, plays everything, and even handles full screen with multiple monitors correctly!

You'll never use Quicktime player again once you've tried MPlayerX.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
The only nice thing about QuickTime and Perian is that they (used to) work with quicklook to provide icons and previews. Now, that function doesn't work, as the audio in Lion consists solely of horrible bleeps and blips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.