Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
I'm trying to optimize our home network by testing out different channels and comparing signal strengths. Previously, I've been happy with KisMAC...but it doesn't seem to work on my new MBA with Lion.

I don't feel like getting price gouged on the AppStore for WiFi Scanners that START at $8...so are there any suggestions out there for a free solution that will let me see the SSID of networks in range and what channel they're on?

(BTW, how is it that my Windows 7 PC can run MS-DOS programs that were written nearly two decades ago, but my OS X Lion laptop can't run PowerPC programs that were coded a couple years ago? Oh well, at least I look cool in coffee shops)

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
Try Wireshark

Last I checked it was free

Well that was terrifying... ;)

That seems to be quite the powerful program...sadly, I'm not sure how to make it work for me. I've found the window where it is supposed to display the SSIDs and their respective information...but I can't get it to populate with networks. I've run multiple live captures, but no dice. The online help pages didn't help as most of it is Polish to me.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I'm trying to optimize our home network by testing out different channels and comparing signal strengths. Previously, I've been happy with KisMAC...but it doesn't seem to work on my new MBA with Lion.

I don't feel like getting price gouged on the AppStore for WiFi Scanners that START at $8...so are there any suggestions out there for a free solution that will let me see the SSID of networks in range and what channel they're on?

(BTW, how is it that my Windows 7 PC can run MS-DOS programs that were written nearly two decades ago, but my OS X Lion laptop can't run PowerPC programs that were coded a couple years ago? Oh well, at least I look cool in coffee shops)

Hold down the option key and click the airport menu for some information. Signal strength, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.