Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imHappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
hey guys,

So i have late 2010 macbook air, and i want to install windows through bootcamp to simply run games.

I have some questions:

- Unlike parallels and VMware, bootcamp only partition is my ssd right? meaning windows will use all my hardware rather than a selected partition like what happens in vmware and parallels.. right?

- XP or 7? only thing i will do on windows is gaming. Specifically Cod mw(NOT mw2) and league of legends, because running natively, yes natively League of legends really sucks. So since those games aren't that new, which will run faster and more stable, xp or 7?

- which OS occupies more space, i read somewhere that that xp actually occupies almost the same as 7.

- antivirus needed? if so, would a free one be enough, if so, how well is microsoft security essentials? or should i consider for avast!

Thx in advance.

MasterTick

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
- Correct

- Windows 7, it's a lot nicer than XP and doesn't degrade nearly as quickly. Not to mention it's faster

- XP needs 1.5 GBs to install, Windows 7 needs 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

- If all you're gonna do is gaming, then you don't need antivirus, but I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, it's fast, light weight and gets out of the way, it also provides great protection.

Hope this helps!

imHappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
1.5gb to 16gb wow... i guess im going for xp. not giving 16gb+ partition haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.