Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One user notes the following:

In keeping with the open source license of WebCore/KHTML, Apple has made available the source code behind the rendering part of Safari 1.3/2.0 (at http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/tarballs/other/WebCore-315.tar.gz). What is interesting is that the ChangeLog included with this release refers not only to existing Apple applications that use WebKit but also a previously unknown one, Blot.

For example:
- <rdar://problem/4039661> crash in ApplyStyleCommand::applyBlockStyle pasting contents of webpage into Mail or Blot
- Fixed: <rdar://problem/4024786> REGRESSION (Mail): "Smart paste" plain-text word into Blot leaves insertion point misplaced

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I suspect this is something more obvious...

anyone know what this is in reference to?

arn

Panther

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Austin, TX
arn said:
I suspect this is something more obvious...

anyone know what this is in reference to?

arn
Perhaps this was a candidate name for Pages (Pages' pen-and-ink icon would seem to match an app called Blot more than it does "Pages")

indexpgicon20050111.jpg

stoid

macrumors 601
Panther said:
Perhaps this was a candidate name for Pages (Pages' pen-and-ink icon would seem to match an app called Blot more than it does "Pages")

indexpgicon20050111.jpg

While that does make sense, I can see why Apple changed the name then. I don't think I'd be interested in writing papers in an app called Blot, just doesn't seem professional.

crakly

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2004
London calling
ChrisH3677 said:
Sounds reasonable. Anyone with Safari 1.2x want to test this?

I'll test it on my girlfriend's PowerBook tonight (still running 10.3.8)

So basically I have to paste some text from Safari into Pages and see if the "insertion point" is misplaced.

If it is, then this proves Pages is Blot? :confused:

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
Why a page 2 Rumor ???

I was able to verify the existence of the word "blot" in the same location as mentioned here ...

Why would this be a page 2 rumor ... I would love to hear more speculation about this from readers ...

My best guess is that it's a Blogging app. Tiger has a blog feature.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Panther said:

indexpgicon20050111.jpg

That seems to make sense -- and then someone reminded them that "blot" can be a negative word...what happens when your fountain pen has a malfunctioning inkflow, in addition to what you do to avoid smearing.

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but is that a Pelikan Celebry pen in the Pages icon?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
appleface said:
that's the first thing that came to my mind, too.

Then the question would be why haven't we heard of it yet? Maybe it won't be available in 10.4.0....

Maybe its a blogging robot of sorts....something that automates bloging?

Blog + Bot = Blot

and it would probably be a .Mac feature - but if its simple to use, I hope they make it work without .Mac

D

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
JeffTL said:
That seems to make sense -- and then someone reminded them that "blot" can be a negative word...what happens when your fountain pen has a malfunctioning inkflow, in addition to what you do to avoid smearing.

Perfect! This "Blot" application must be the Apple-internal codename for Pages then... you can't tell me they don't know how bad Pages sucks.

whenpaulsparks

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
one thing that many people missed with 10.3.9 was they updated the webkit API to include an editable webview, a la dreamweaver or a HTML mail composer, etc. basically a window control that you can edit WYSIWYG HTML. maybe that's the name for it. but they included it with 10.3.9 so that users can make programs for panther too that include this technology. i'd love to see an alternative to dreamweaver made with it.

the editable HTML view is going to be how apple mail composes HTML mail messages in tiger.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
1984 said:

are you asking what inkwell is or thinking that it Bolt is inkwell?

inkwell fyi, is apple's handwriting recognition technology, its pretty good from what i hear too....makes me want to get a tablet when i get Tiger...

discoteca

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2004
whenpaulsparks said:
one thing that many people missed with 10.3.9 was they updated the webkit API to include an editable webview, a la dreamweaver or a HTML mail composer, etc. basically a window control that you can edit WYSIWYG HTML. maybe that's the name for it. but they included it with 10.3.9 so that users can make programs for panther too that include this technology. i'd love to see an alternative to dreamweaver made with it.

I didn't miss it, that was the one part that stood out to me, maybe because just the other day I was thinking wouldn't it be great if there was a Dreamweaver killer based on webkit/safari and was just as quick/easy to use as Pages is for documents :)

Maybe these guys could take it on ;) http://www.panic.com/company/

nms

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2004
London
it'd be nice...

i doubt this is it, but it'd be nice to have an apple branded basic website program that doesnt need .Mac and isn't the senile Claris HomePage... :eek:

it's probably some piece of tech that uses HTML, probably not even available to us :(

EDIT: dammit discoteca, you stole my idea :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.