Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2011
My MBA 2010 trackpad is acting up. Brought it to the 5th avenue apple store. They had no trackpads in stock. No problem, sometimes they run out of stock. They said theyd give me a call when they received a new shipment.

I figure, maybe ill go to a different apple store to get it fixed there. I go out of my way to visit the westchester mall apple store where i am told they cannot do it on a "while you wait" basis and that i'd have to give up my laptop for 2-3 days. Genius at 5th ave said this process takes 15 minutes.

A week time passed, the 5th avenue store FINALLY call me. I dont understand how it could take them a week to receive the part, if i can order a book on amazon and get it within 2 days. But anyway, i go to the 5th avenue store where I wait an hour and a half. The genius comes out from the back of the store and tells me the ONE and only trackpad they ordered was actually broken. So i have to wait another week to get this exchanged.

I need this laptop for work. I need it for email, and a research project I am working. Its really hard to browse pages when the trackpad keeps clicking on stuff by itself.

I just cant grasp the fact that such a big store was out of stock and ordered only ONE to stock up the store with spare parts.

When I had my dell, i was able to call support, they sent the part to my house, I exchanged it myself, returned the old part and this took 1 day, they'd ship it overnight. I am now going on my second week with a faulty trackpad.

I called local apple stores and apparently it is against the company policy for them to be able to tell me if they are able to replace the part "while I wait". What kind of policy is that?

[/rant]

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
My MBA 2010 trackpad is acting up. Brought it to the 5th avenue apple store. They had no trackpads in stock. No problem, sometimes they run out of stock. They said theyd give me a call when they received a new shipment.

I figure, maybe ill go to a different apple store to get it fixed there. I go out of my way to visit the westchester mall apple store where i am told they cannot do it on a "while you wait" basis and that i'd have to give up my laptop for 2-3 days. Genius at 5th ave said this process takes 15 minutes.

A week time passed, the 5th avenue store FINALLY call me. I dont understand how it could take them a week to receive the part, if i can order a book on amazon and get it within 2 days. But anyway, i go to the 5th avenue store where I wait an hour and a half. The genius comes out from the back of the store and tells me the ONE and only trackpad they ordered was actually broken. So i have to wait another week to get this exchanged.

I need this laptop for work. I need it for email, and a research project I am working. Its really hard to browse pages when the trackpad keeps clicking on stuff by itself.

I just cant grasp the fact that such a big store was out of stock and ordered only ONE to stock up the store with spare parts.

When I had my dell, i was able to call support, they sent the part to my house, I exchanged it myself, returned the old part and this took 1 day, they'd ship it overnight. I am now going on my second week with a faulty trackpad.

I called local apple stores and apparently it is against the company policy for them to be able to tell me if they are able to replace the part "while I wait". What kind of policy is that?

[/rant]

You could have just mailed the laptop in to Apple by talking to someone on the phone. They overnight you a box, it gets back to them in a day or two, and within 24 hours they usually send the laptop back fixed in another overnight package. All this takes under a week and would have been a way better experience than waiting for parts at the Apple Store in person.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
You could have just mailed the laptop in to Apple by talking to someone on the phone. They overnight you a box, it gets back to them in a day or two, and within 24 hours they usually send the laptop back fixed in another overnight package. All this takes under a week and would have been a way better experience than waiting for parts at the Apple Store in person.

Yep. This is how I do it too. I think the OP made things far harder on himself than it had to be what with him taking a trip to the Apple store and all. Nowadays virtually everything can be done on the internet or by phone, and sometimes faster.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I do use a mouse I just find it inconvenient.

as for mailing my laptop to apple, yes thats an option, but again, my work depends on my laptop. I bring my mba to the office everyday as during the summer we have two people for 1 desktop.

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
I do use a mouse I just find it inconvenient.

as for mailing my laptop to apple, yes thats an option, but again, my work depends on my laptop. I bring my mba to the office everyday as during the summer we have two people for 1 desktop.

Exactly. I can't make money without my laptop so sending it in to Apple wouldn't be a good solution.

If I were you I would've demanded a new Mac, period.

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
OP, aside from the part of your story where the replacement part broke, one week isn't as long as how long I had to wait.

My display was flickering and there were dark bands appearing from the bottom of the screen. Went into the store - genius decided to order the part - took TWO weeks for them to call me and say they have to ship it out to a depot for repair...Luckily the repair was quick, though it didn't fix the dark bands, and I am on summer break.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sadly, Your experience is nothing compared to the service some of us in countries where apple can't even be bothered to open a Mac store :( (yes we can have the Apple HQ so they can avail of the low corporate tax rates, but feck off ye green little barstools if ye think were going to give ye an Apple store)

If anything goes wrong with our macs we know it's basically going to be gone for at least 2-3 weeks as it has to be sent to a authorized repair agent, which is the otherside of the country, it goes on their todo pile, eventually gets looked at, parts are ordered, goes back on their todo pile, wait ages for parts to arrive, once arrived it comes back off the todo pile once the other todo items have been done, replace parts, go into testing 24 hours, contact couriers, collection by courier, schedule delivery, and then get back base. Exhausting....

Give me a genius bar - even a crap one. :)

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sadly, Your experience is nothing compared to the service some of us in countries where apple can't even be bothered to open a Mac store :( (yes we can have the Apple HQ so they can avail of the low corporate tax rates, but feck off ye green little barstools if ye think were going to give ye an Apple store)

If anything goes wrong with our macs we know it's basically going to be gone for at least 2-3 weeks as it has to be sent to a authorized repair agent, which is the otherside of the country, it goes on their todo pile, eventually gets looked at, parts are ordered, goes back on their todo pile, wait ages for parts to arrive, once arrived it comes back off the todo pile once the other todo items have been done, replace parts, go into testing 24 hours, contact couriers, collection by courier, schedule delivery, and then get back base. Exhausting....

Give me a genius bar - even a crap one. :)

You win =)

B.Chang

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Better than the repair experience when I was in China.

My MBP trackpad stopped clicking so I took it in to get replaced. When I got it back it didn't work at all, and they couldn't fix it.

Ended up shipping it back to my parents in the states, they got it replaced for me, and sent it back.

Might have gone to one of those fake stores though . . . seem to be appearing all over China now :[

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.