Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
A family friend has an iMac G5 which just totally died, i.e. nothing happens when you press the power button.

I followed this apple troubeshooting guide which suggested it to be logic board failure.

In some crazy coincidence I had a spare logic board for that computer so swapped it in but it still has the same symptons. This surely suggests power supply rather than logic board. However why does the apple knowledge base article say it is logic board.

I tried taking the additional components out to see if it could be another issue e.g. superdrive, harddrive etc but it doesn't do anything even when it is just the logic board and power supply.

I am not sure if it is worth repairing this machine I found the part on a website for £180, or one from iFixit for about £130 and some on ebay for about £70.

Could it be anything other than the power supply? Is there a way I can test the power supply to confirm before ordering the new part?

DSPalpatine

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Which model of G5 is it? Pre-ALS (Ambient Light Sensor)? ALS? iSight?

What do the LED lights tell you? Are any of them lighting up? If not, it's most likely either the PSU or the power cord (I mean, it could be other things, but those are two highly likely failures that might cause the symptoms you are seeing).

Anyway, if you google "iMac G5 diagnostic LEDs", you'll find an apple support page on using the LED lights to diagnose this problem further. Basically, you remove the back cover of the computer, and then plug in the power cord to the power supply. There are four LED lights which can give you a better clue if the PSU is dead or if it is some other problem. It's similar to the troubleshooting guide you linked to, but a little more in-depth about the LEDs.

Hope that helps.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
It is the ALS, although I did shoe horn a pre ALS logic board in there to try and spark it back to life.

In that troubleshootnig guide it runs through the leds and it suggets logic board failure. i.e. LED 1 on with the power connected but no other with the internal power button pressed. I tried with different power cords and in different houses.

I may take the PSU apart tonight to see if any of the capacitors went pop.

I forgot what a dream these iMac G5s were to take apart, having recently taken apart an C2D iMac it is a right faff where as these G5s a few screws and you are in, a few more screws and everything if off.

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
might find some useful info on jim warholics site. google him plus imac g5 and you'll find it

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Look at PSU caps. Good idea. But if you have LED 1 on (and nothing more no matter what you do) it points on PSU according to Service manual and my personal experience.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Looking at the caps there are a few bulging and a couple of those have leaked a bit through the top surface.

Most likely the cause of the failure. There is also some sorching on the underside of the PSU case in the bad cap area.

The caps look like a nightmare to replace as they are all covered in this grey gloupey material.

Either PSU replacement and hope it was just that or a new machine.

h0ser81

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2011
Williamstown, PA
It'll be the PSU for sure. I picked up a dead iMac G5 for 10 bucks a few weeks back and they have no clue what was wrong with it. Bought a new power supply and slapped it in and it's been humming along since. I only had 2 bulging caps and that was enough for it to not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.