PDA

View Full Version : My internet is too slow !!!!!!!!

kev1234
Aug 12, 2011, 06:09 AM
Hy guys,

The problem is that my internet is too slow, when I check my speed on (http://www.speedtest.net/)..... it tells me that for download I have 2.5Mbps and for the upload 500kbps.... When I download a torrent using (xTorrent 2) or something from safari... the download speed is around 160kbps, no more than that ! I never get more than 100kbps.... It looks like that the network is blocked or something !!! because sometimes the download goes up to 600kbps for just 3 seconds and them drop again to 160 or 175 kbps.... my question is why I can get more than 100kbps ??? I know that I could get much more !! It just look like the network is blocked or something ??? why is that ??

By the way, I already check the Router, and the torrent app... and I don't see any limitation ! I even crack the router with tomato ! My router is a Buffalo (WHR-HP-G54)....

MonkeySee....
Aug 12, 2011, 06:14 AM
Downloading a torrent won't be the ideal test as there are too many variables.

and for proper speeds you should be testing your speed with this > http://speedtester.bt.com/

Give that a bash and post your stats.

Hellhammer
Aug 12, 2011, 06:16 AM
That is becayse your ISP and Speedtest report the speed in bits whereas torrent and other download apps report the speed in bytes.

8 bits = 1 byte

2.5Mbit/s = 2500Kbit/s = 312.5KByte/s

312KB/s is what you should be getting if there are no other limitations (torrents are a poor measure because the amount and quality of peers affects the download speed a lot).

kev1234
Aug 12, 2011, 06:26 AM
I know that with torrent are too many variables but I have a torrent that I know that is fast and is over 100 seeds and my download speed is around 100kbps... I know that I least I could be around the 300 or more !!

My question is why my network is blocked or what its going on ??? I know that my download speed could be much more !!!!

MonkeySee....
Aug 12, 2011, 06:30 AM
I know that with torrent are too many variables but I have a torrent that I know that is fast and is over 100 seeds and my download speed is around 100kbps... I know that I least I could be around the 300 or more !!

My question is why my network is blocked or what its going on ??? I know that my download speed could be much more !!!!

So each seed could be uploading 1kbps. Seriously, i know where you're coming from but you can't rely on a torrent to be a judge on how fast you can download.

Go to a reputable site and download something.

If you're obsessed with torrents then you can always try forwarding your ports if you haven't already.

kev1234
Aug 12, 2011, 06:34 AM
So each seed could be uploading 1kbps. Seriously, i know where you're coming from but you can't rely on a torrent to be a judge on how fast you can download.

Go to a reputable site and download something.

If you're obsessed with torrents then you can always try forwarding your ports if you haven't already.

Alright Im going to check the website you give me and see what I get... for example with the MAC APP STORE... when I download something or let say LION I didn't pass the 100 kbps... and its apple...

MonkeySee....
Aug 12, 2011, 07:00 AM
Alright Im going to check the website you give me and see what I get... for example with the MAC APP STORE... when I download something or let say LION I didn't pass the 100 kbps... and its apple...

I've found The Mac app store is pretty slow to be fair.

Try Download.com or Apples Website.

If that fails to you think your ISP has a limiter on how much bandwidth you can use?

Its quite common in the UK if you download large amounts and the ISP feels you're mugging off their bandwidth.

basher
Aug 12, 2011, 12:15 PM
What upload/download speeds is your ISP promising?