Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toogoodius

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Can anybody explain why I can't get Flash to install on my Lion machine.

Unfortunately Lion has been nothing but trouble thus far and I've already had to do one re-install.

So far the re-install has been ok- except for a couple of very minor things- but now I can't get it to install Flash.

I've donwnloaded Flash installer several times, from different sites, and been right through the installation process. I am told that it has installed correctly but it is not in 'applications' and it's certainly not functioning if it's installed itself elsewhere...

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Can anybody explain why I can't get Flash to install on my Lion machine.

Unfortunately Lion has been nothing but trouble thus far and I've already had to do one re-install.

So far the re-install has been ok- except for a couple of very minor things- but now I can't get it to install Flash.

I've donwnloaded Flash installer several times, from different sites, and been right through the installation process. I am told that it has installed correctly but it is not in 'applications' and it's certainly not functioning if it's installed itself elsewhere...

Flash was never in applications. It is an internet plug in, and resides here, /Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Flash also now has a preference pane, so go to system preferences and find it on the bottom. It is in the "other" group. Always get the latest version from Adobe.

toogoodius

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Flash was never in applications. It is an internet plug in, and resides here, /Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Flash also now has a preference pane, so go to system preferences and find it on the bottom. Always get the latest version from Adobe.

He, ok thanks for replying, but I still can't find it! My Library doesn't seem to have 'internet plug-ins'.

I had done a search for Adobe Flash PLayer, before i posted this, and it only revealed the installer not the prog.

I have noticed the preference pane in system preferences so that's in order...

If it is installed it's still definitely NOT working. Any further ideas?

toogoodius

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
He, ok thanks for replying, but I still can't find it! My Library doesn't seem to have 'internet plug-ins'.

I had done a search for Adobe Flash PLayer, before i posted this, and it only revealed the installer not the prog.

ok, I've now found the plug ins... Yes, Flash is there but no it still doesn't work!!

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

It's the system Library, not your Library( ~/Library), so check the root directory, Library/Internet Plug-Ins

What happens when you go to the Adobe Test Page, http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

toogoodius

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
FLash won't work with Firefox only Safari

ok, I've now found the plug ins... Yes, Flash is there but no it still doesn't work!!

Aaaaargh!

If anybody is following this and can help I will be EXTREMELY grateful.

I have been having problems making Flash work. Actually it turns out that it works just fine- but ONLY WITH SAFARI!

I prefer to use Firefox and it is not working with that.

I have the most up to date Firefox.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Aaaaargh!

If anybody is following this and can help I will be EXTREMELY grateful.

I have been having problems making Flash work. Actually it turns out that it works just fine- but ONLY WITH SAFARI!

I prefer to use Firefox and it is not working with that.

I have the most up to date Firefox.

If flash works in Safari then it is working. I don't know what you expect. Is there a site that does not work for you in Firefox?

toogoodius

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
I'm curious... How are you testing it? If you thought it was an application that you would be able to run I am curious if you actually know what it is.

Click here and see if you can see the graphic.

http://ce.uwex.edu/techsupport/flashtest.aspx

Well, thanks for assuming I'm stupid just cos I didn't realise it was not an application. Sounds like a silly semantic issue to me...

I was testing it, quite obviously, by trying to access something online that required it. BBC player if you must know.

Please stop commenting if you just want to sound clever. It's not really working... a bit like my Flash 'application'.

toogoodius

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
It's the system Library, not your Library( ~/Library), so check the root directory, Library/Internet Plug-Ins

What happens when you go to the Adobe Test Page, http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Hey, I've been through this process several times now! As you may have seen, in my later posts, I have now tried it with safari and it works. Only trouble is I prefer to use Firefox!!

Thanks for your help and any further ideas will be much appreciated...

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Well, thanks for assuming I'm stupid just cos I didn't realise it was not an application. Sounds like a silly semantic issue to me...

I was testing it, quite obviously, by trying to access something online that required it. BBC player if you must know.

Please stop commenting if you just want to sound clever. It's not really working... a bit like my Flash 'application'.

Both http://www.bbc.co.uk/, and bbcamerica.com are working fine for me in Safari and Firefox, so try a re-install, making sure to delete flash via the Adobe uninstaller.

Just saw your post, ignore advice to re-install then. Sorry could not be of more help.

toogoodius

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
If flash works in Safari then it is working. I don't know what you expect. Is there a site that does not work for you in Firefox?

Hey, sorry I;m a bit out of sequence here!!

Yes, there is a site that does not work in Firefox. Also the link to the graphic tester that you sent still tells me i need to install...

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

Yes, there is a site that does not work in Firefox. Also the link to the graphic tester that you sent still tells me i need to install...

I think some have reported issues with Flash, I have not paid attention to the threads because it works fine for me. Maybe searching the forum might help. Flash is hard to troubleshoot, it either works or it does not. Adobe needs to update it from what I am reading.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010

It wasn't obvious as you were looking for it in the applications folder. Thus, I assumed you had no clue.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing the Flash plugin

Try the suggestions here first. You may need to uninstall the old version then re-install.

toogoodius

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010

Ok, thanks again mrapplegate. I am starting to think it must be a big in Lion.

To be quite honest I'm very frustrated with it as I have already had to re-install. The first copy was seriously corrupt...

I did that last night and thought I was all sorted until this!

Thanks again, your tips were very helpful. Cheers

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I was having trouble with Firefox and started using Chrome. Flash is built in and doesn't rely on me downloading and installing anything for it to just work. I do use flashblock even with Chrome. I just don't want to have noisy animations happening on my Mac without warning when I'm surfing the web. Also flash tends to make my fans run. If I click to enable it, I her my fans start up within a few moments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.