Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

birdhouse1575

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Well I bought an iBook G4 (as-is) on eBay and attempted to install Leopard with a retail DVD, but the iBook would just spit it out. So I used a Tiger CD and that was spat out as well.

I looked inside and saw there was no hard drive, so I bought one and gave it another go. But it kept spitting out the CD's.

I have a Macbook (late 2006) that I've been trying to use to install Leopard on the iBook via target disk mode, but when I boot the iBook into TDM, it doesn't mount on the Macbook's desktop. When I boot the Macbook into TDM and put in either the tiger CD or leopard DVD, the iBook doesn't recognize it.

Having looked around online, I've read people having been able to install onto a G4 from an Intel mac via TDM.

The iBook does meet requirements for both Tiger and Leopard. And they are retail CD/DVD - not specific to the Macbook. They are both plugged into their AC adapters. The iBook supposedly had a combo drive. The Macbook has a superdrive.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.