PDA

View Full Version : Even More Claims: iPhone 5 Launch on October 7th, No iPad 3 Until 2012

MacRumors
Aug 12, 2011, 03:18 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/12/even-more-claims-iphone-5-launch-on-october-7th-no-ipad-3-until-2012/)

Claims of media event and launch dates for the iPhone 5 have quickly accelerated as attention turns toward the window for such an event, which is likely to open in just a few weeks. Just today, a claim of a September 7th (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/12/apple-to-hold-media-event-on-september-8th-2011/) media event appeared and was quickly debunked (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/12/no-apple-media-event-on-september-7th/), and other rumors of an iPhone 5 launch for September or even as far out as late October have also been swirling.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/iphone51.jpg

TiPb now weighs in (http://www.tipb.com/2011/08/12/iphone-october-7-ipad-spring-2012/) with a claim that Apple's next-generation iPhone "could" debut on Friday, October 7th in the United States, although the source for the rumored date is unclear. The report also suggests that the next iPhone is more likely to be an "iPhone 4S" based on the iPhone 4 than a completely revamped "iPhone 5", although it acknowledges that there is still considerable confusion over the issue and that Apple could be preparing to release both models.Apple's next generation iPhone, be it an iterative "iPhone 4S" or a completely revamped "iPhone 5" could go on sale October 7 in the US. That's a Friday, which isn't uncommon for iPhone launches.According to the report's source, Apple will not be introducing a new iPad this fall, having decided to push things back to the original yearly timetable and release the iPad 3 early next year.

TiPb has not been a source for product rumors in the past and expresses a healthy amount of skepticism about its own report, and so we are covering this story on our iOS Blog for the time being.

Article Link: Even More Claims: iPhone 5 Launch on October 7th, No iPad 3 Until 2012 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/12/even-more-claims-iphone-5-launch-on-october-7th-no-ipad-3-until-2012/)

iSheahan
Aug 12, 2011, 03:24 PM
:(

My iPhone is dying... I was hardly able to wait for the rumored mid-Sept launch. Any longer and I may die of anxiety. Oh, well. We never really will know until Apple launches, I guess.

whawhat
Aug 12, 2011, 03:25 PM
This is getting hilarious. Announcement coming in September, available soon after. As you were people.

chrmjenkins
Aug 12, 2011, 03:25 PM
TiPb has not been a source for product rumors in the past and expresses a healthy amount of skepticism about its own report, and so we are covering this story on our iOS Blog for the time being.

I guess you could say

*sunglassses*

they were out of their element.

Matthew9559
Aug 12, 2011, 03:27 PM
These rumors are getting more annoying than usual... Flip flopping too fast for me!

NEENAHBOY
Aug 12, 2011, 03:28 PM
*gasp* You mean when Apple said that 2011 was the year of iPad 2, it could have been telling...the truth? I'm shocked! Shocked, I say! :rolleyes:

lexvo
Aug 12, 2011, 03:29 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

For me, this is one of the more plausible rumors.

nagromme
Aug 12, 2011, 03:35 PM
I donít take any of these rumors very seriously, but my common sense likes this one!

saving107
Aug 12, 2011, 03:43 PM
Apple's next generation iPhone, be it an iterative "iPhone 4S" or a completely revamped "iPhone 5" could go on sale October 7 in the US. That's a Friday, which isn't uncommon for iPhone launches.

Yes, yes it could (I suppose).

It Could be an iPhone 4S or it Could be an iPhone 5
It Could be September or it Could be October
It Could be on Friday or it Could be a different day of the week
It Could be a thinner design or it Could be the same design

tempusfugit
Aug 12, 2011, 03:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Anyone who really thinks there would be a 3rd gen iPad in 2011 needs to pass whatever they're smoking this way.

scottgroovez
Aug 12, 2011, 03:52 PM
October 7 would make a nice birthday pressie for me :cool:

bb426
Aug 12, 2011, 03:53 PM
These flying rumors are great examples of where one should wait and find out more information before opening their mouth. I think I've seen about 4 articles just today about this? Hah. Rumors or not, it's ridiculous (and amusing :) )

I bet :apple: is reading this and laughing their a**es off right now.

We have about 10 different possible combinations of rumored releases happening in the next 6 months. iPhone (insert number and or letter(s) here) in September/October, iPad (insert number and or letter(s) here) in September/October/Winter/Spring, etc. No one has any idea about designs -or names- obviously, except the ARM processor. I'd say we haven't learned anything new since after the iPhone 4 was released, except that there was no summer release. Because it's August now.

Notice how there have been NO rumors about any new iPods? Everyone's so caught up with the next iPhone it's just depressing.

I say wait until it actually happens. It'll save the anxiety.

nerdo
Aug 12, 2011, 04:10 PM
Apple is has more rumors planned on september 7 2011, iRumor 2 will be released next year with a possible upgraded untrue engine.

---------- Post added at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was at 23:09 ----------

naah that was just a rumor too....

*gasp* You mean when Apple said that 2011 was the year of iPad 2, it could have been telling...the truth? I'm shocked! Shocked, I say! :rolleyes:

winston1236
Aug 12, 2011, 04:21 PM
ip4s=no sale
ip5=i buy first day

hexor
Aug 12, 2011, 04:25 PM
Breaking news! My inside sources say they will both be released sometime in the next 1 to 12 months!

Navdakilla
Aug 12, 2011, 04:33 PM
ughhhhh.. more of these complicated rumours.. I know this is macRUMORS haha, but still comonnnn

Don Kosak
Aug 12, 2011, 04:36 PM
Depending on the prices and features, the iPhone 4s may be a good buy for those of us on the "odd numbered" phone plan (original -> 3GS -> ?).

Unlike the tablet arena, there is a lot of competition in the phone market. It would be nice for Apple to extend their pricing to a wider range with maybe a free/prepaid 3GS, a low priced iPhone 4, and a top of the line iPhone 4s (or 5).

That would help compete with some of the low-spec, low-cost Android models out there.

As far as the iPad 3 goes, I would rather see more work on iCloud services and iOS 6 honestly. I think the iPad 2 is a great match for iOS 5. No need for new hardware right now, especially with the lackluster competition.

the8thark
Aug 12, 2011, 04:36 PM
iPad 3 Coming in Late October?
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/12/iphone-4s-and-ipad-3-coming-in-late-october/

No iPad 3 Until 2012
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/12/even-more-claims-iphone-5-launch-on-october-7th-no-ipad-3-until-2012/

Ok which is it? iPad in 2011 or no iPad in 2011?
Well we know the answer Jobs told us. But still gotta love the contradicting rumours.

wovel
Aug 12, 2011, 04:44 PM
THis rumor was just to get Samsung to publicly commit to the US s2 launch. It worked.

justinfreid
Aug 12, 2011, 04:53 PM
So, sometime in the fall we'll see the iPhone 5. Ok.

soapsuds
Aug 12, 2011, 05:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As much as I'd love to have a 2048x1636 iPad 3, I just can't see how Apple could possibly get a screen like that plus the graphical power to run it and enough battery to power it for 10 hours at any kind of consumer price. I guess the fact that they're already selling a device with a 9.7" IPS display for $500 is pretty amazing, when $2000 laptops don't even have IPS.

acslater017
Aug 12, 2011, 05:45 PM
These rumors are getting more annoying than usual... Flip flopping too fast for me!

I agree. Like most people, I enjoy a good MacRumor. But when claims and counter-claims fly every 12 hours it gets annoying pretty fast.

On the other hand, I think we can glean one thing from all this: Apple is NOT letting the same iPhone 4 debacle happen again! They've probably got the "iPhone 5" on lock-down like never before :cool:

I think the key is to never get your hopes up haha

tempusfugit
Aug 12, 2011, 06:21 PM
Apple is NOT letting the same iPhone 4 debacle happen again! They've probably got the "iPhone 5" on lock-down like never before :cool:

I think the key is to never get your hopes up haha

Interesting commentary. Debacle, you say? Is that what you call it when a company releases the best smartphone on the market?

If you owned an iPhone 4 and used it on a daily basis you wouldnt be singing this tune. It's still the best smartphone out there for my money. Best screen, best battery life, best apps. Enough said.

Neodym
Aug 12, 2011, 06:48 PM
Interesting commentary. Debacle, you say? Is that what you call it when a company releases the best smartphone on the market?
He was referring to the premature design reveal due to a prototype of the iPhone being lost/forgotten/stolen in a bar by a poor Apple fella named Gary Powell (iirc). Gizmodo eventually aquired the device and presented it to the public before official introduction. This time Apple obviously won't let that happen again...

mrelwood
Aug 12, 2011, 07:06 PM
No need for new hardware right now, especially with the lackluster competition.

Unlike Samsung, HP and the rest, Apple doesn't seem to develop new products because of the competition. Just look at Mac Mini, AppleTV, iMac, MacBook Air, iPads, iPhones. The last two are markets that Apple created.

vitzr
Aug 12, 2011, 07:09 PM
THis rumor was just to get Samsung to publicly commit to the US s2 launch. It worked.
Provide a link to prove it.

Laird Knox
Aug 12, 2011, 07:30 PM
ip4s=no sale
ip5=i buy first day

You are going to purchase just based on the name? :confused:

wizard
Aug 12, 2011, 07:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

ip4s=no sale
ip5=i buy first day

You are going to purchase just based on the name? :confused:

For some it is a modern day phallic symbol to wave around.

mouthtarget
Aug 12, 2011, 08:07 PM
hokay.... we get it... no iPad 3 this year. :D

so iPad 4 is also next year? :rolleyes:

Nutes
Aug 12, 2011, 08:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyone here about the iPhone 6 yet? Might as well throw an iPhone 6 into this madness! It's starting to get out of hand...

vitzr
Aug 12, 2011, 08:25 PM
Anyone here about the iPhone 6 yet?

Actually I'll be glad when the iPhone 5 is released, then we can get on with the march towards iPhone 6, the one that will really be worth the wait. The iPhone 5 is more of a placeholder till the A6 chip is ready, along with the convergence of iOS and OS X into one single operating system.

That will be the one that will tell the tale of what Apple really has up it's sleeve. It will reveal what Apple's vision of portable devices will be like going forward for a few years to come. It will be the tipping point for some and the perfect opportunity for others to to move into Apple's walled garden.

ChristianJapan
Aug 12, 2011, 08:44 PM
According to the report's source, Apple will not be introducing a new iPad this fall, having decided to push things back to the original yearly timetable and release the iPad 3 early next year.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO; this can't be true ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Looks like the lazy competitors don't make it again to raise the pressure on Apple (or Apple's lawyer are too good).

(ok; I go now and check my medication I took this morning)

E.Lizardo
Aug 12, 2011, 09:29 PM

Just a thought,since I don't have as much emotion invested in the release date of the next iPad as you obviously do,but 9 months was the run of iPad1,9 more months would put iPad2 in November/December.
Just sayin'...

But please continue to go ballistic if that's what makes you happy...

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyone here about the iPhone 6 yet? Might as well throw an iPhone 6 into this madness! It's starting to get out of hand...

I'm waiting for the iPhone MCXXIV

ChrisTX
Aug 12, 2011, 09:45 PM
No iPad 3 because Apple realizes the iPad 2 is still the champ. No need for such a quick death of the 2 when no other tablet has managed to gain ground. The iPad is much easier to get than the iPhone was originally. No one ever wanted Android in the first place but many people have had to settle. Now with the iPad no one has to settle for the impostors.

murdercitydevil
Aug 12, 2011, 09:49 PM
i guess you could say

*sunglassses*

they were out of their element.

yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

aliensporebomb
Aug 12, 2011, 09:50 PM
They just bought iPads for work and will buy more - plenty of life in the iPad 2

oghowie
Aug 12, 2011, 11:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ipad 3 doesn't need to come out this year. There is simply no real competition right now.

Jmouse
Aug 12, 2011, 11:36 PM
Is it just me? Or every new design of iPhone takes some times to grown on you?

Like the iPhone 4' I didn't like it at first. Not ntill like couple months,I start to likeit. See the new iphone5 design, I can't say I like it better than the iphone4.

Jayse
Aug 12, 2011, 11:44 PM
My best mate works for Optus here in Australia and had a conference call with all other Optus store managers yesterday (27 hrs ago from this post). The conference call was in regards to the iPhone 5.

Firstly, it WILL be an iPhone 5, not a 4s or any of that nonsense.

Secondly, they spoke about most Optus stores (at least in Sydney) receiving iPhone stock in the last 3-4 days in September, which makes it Tuesday 27 - Friday 30. This means an approximate iPhone release date in Australia of 3-6 October.

Each Optus store will receive an initial quantity of 10-12 of each of the iPhone 5 units. There was no information of how many iPhone 5 models there would be (in regards to possibly a cheaper model as what has been speculated)

Just a side note:
It was not spoken about as to what the specifications of the iPhone 5 would be, nor the design.

The reliability of this information is very reliable. I just thought i'd share.

bb426
Aug 13, 2011, 12:40 AM
My best mate works for Optus here in Australia and had a conference call with all other Optus store managers yesterday (27 hrs ago from this post). The conference call was in regards to the iPhone 5.

Firstly, it WILL be an iPhone 5, not a 4s or any of that nonsense.

Secondly, they spoke about most Optus stores (at least in the Sydney) receiving iPhone stock in the last 3-4 days in September, which makes it Tuesday 27 - Friday 30. This means an approximate iPhone release date in Australia of 3-6 October.

Each Optus store will receive an initial quantity of 10-12 of each of the iPhone 5 units. There was no information of how many iPhone 5 models there would be (in regards to possibly a cheaper model as what has been speculated)

Just a side note:
It was not spoken about as to what the specifications of the iPhone 5 would be, nor the design.

The reliability of this information is very reliable. I just thought i'd share.

I don't doubt it, but I don't think that during the conference call they would reveal the actual name of the device, even if it really was the iPhone 5 or "4S" or whatever. iPhone 5 could easily just be the placeholder name of the next generation idevice to prevent confusion, I'd say. It really doesn't tell us much more than what we've heard. As a side note myself, I haven't a clue as to what they plan on doing once the iPhone gets past number 10 (X?). There has to be a break somewhere, some major change. Yearly updates won't go on forever, it'll probably end up cycling how the Macs do, or some other unheard way.

Anyways. Back to square one.

Jayse
Aug 13, 2011, 01:49 AM
I don't doubt it, but I don't think that during the conference call they would reveal the actual name of the device, even if it really was the iPhone 5 or "4S" or whatever. iPhone 5 could easily just be the placeholder name of the next generation idevice to prevent confusion, I'd say. It really doesn't tell us much more than what we've heard.

You could be right about the placeholder name, and since i wasn't in that conference call myself i can only report what my best mate told me.

I personally doubt Apple would get drawn back into using the iPhone 4 design when everything else on the market (that is mildly successful) is getting thinner and larger screens.

mrelwood
Aug 13, 2011, 07:05 AM
once the iPhone gets past number 10 (X?).

iPhone 9 will be the last iPhone. In 2016-17 the iChip will be presented in several colors, including atleast white, yellow and black, later complimented with brown, red and beige. These are for the different behavioral habbits of the mankind.

Jibbajabba
Aug 13, 2011, 09:07 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

wow - I know it is mac'rumors' but I am seriously getting bored. Less annoying to just check the apple shop weekly to see if there is a new iPhone ;)

cdmoore74
Aug 13, 2011, 10:13 AM
Apple better hope that iphone 5 is a guaranteed hit and can keep them in stock. There's no less than 3 Android superphones on Verizon being released in September/October and more to come from other carriers. Apple should have had this icloud business straightened out back in June or delay it until next June.

Releasing the next iphone almost 4 months later is a negative, not a positive for it's existing and new customers.

tcphoto
Aug 13, 2011, 10:49 AM
No one but Steve and a select few actually know when the next iPhone and iPad will be released. Everyone wants to feel important and throw their opinion out there. I'm watching how iOS5 is developing since Apple held up new MBA and Mini to coincide with Lion's release. All the chatter enhances the demand and we'll know for sure when the media receives their invitations. Until then, sit with cc ready and drink the Apple punch.

filmantopia
Aug 13, 2011, 11:04 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

There will be both an iPhone 4s and iPhone 5. iPhone 4s will be a slightly modified, enhanced, cheaper version of the 4, with plastic backing instead of glass. The iPhone 5 will sport the A5, bigger display, 8mp cam, and an enhanced, thinner & lighter design. Release early october.

There will be slight modifications to the iPod line (nano w/ cam, white touch, etc.), but nothing major.

No new iPad.

Boom.

Next year:
iPhone 6: (huge update) enhanced power efficient samsung-constructed display, NFC, A6, 4G, HD FaceTime.

Jayse
Aug 13, 2011, 11:32 AM
Apple better hope that iphone 5 is a guaranteed hit and can keep them in stock. There's no less than 3 Android superphones on Verizon being released in September/October and more to come from other carriers. Apple should have had this icloud business straightened out back in June or delay it until next June.

Releasing the next iphone almost 4 months later is a negative, not a positive for it's existing and new customers.

iCloud doesn't need straightening out. It was announced June to let everyone know whats coming - which is a good thing no?

Just because developers get an early look and feel for it while the rest of the world waits patiently (or in your case, impatiently) for a tip-top final product doesn't mean it needs "straightening out".

I think we can all agree that Apple has learnt from the whole MobileMe debacle and wants to make iCloud perfect before it is released to the general public, and not after. Kudos to Apple.

Jamie0003
Aug 13, 2011, 11:43 AM
I don't doubt it, but I don't think that during the conference call they would reveal the actual name of the device, even if it really was the iPhone 5 or "4S" or whatever. iPhone 5 could easily just be the placeholder name of the next generation idevice to prevent confusion, I'd say. It really doesn't tell us much more than what we've heard. As a side note myself, I haven't a clue as to what they plan on doing once the iPhone gets past number 10 (X?). There has to be a break somewhere, some major change. Yearly updates won't go on forever, it'll probably end up cycling how the Macs do, or some other unheard way.

Anyways. Back to square one.

Well, it's already been over a year and 2-3 months wait for the iPhone 5, so it might happen sooner.

I can't wait to upgrade my 3GS, I will be getting it day 1 :)

----------

iPhone 9 will be the last iPhone. In 2016-17 the iChip will be presented in several colors, including atleast white, yellow and black, later complimented with brown, red and beige. These are for the different behavioral habbits of the mankind.

Only interested if they shoop da woop with lasers lol

Jeru
Aug 13, 2011, 01:27 PM
Apple should pick a release date and stick with it, let's not be like everyone else and jump back and forth to different dates.

Indecisiveness is not something people enjoy.

the8thark
Aug 13, 2011, 06:47 PM
Apple should pick a release date and stick with it, let's not be like everyone else and jump back and forth to different dates.

Indecisiveness is not something people enjoy.

Ahmmmm This is not Apple changing dates on us. This is Mac-Rumors putting up 2 differing rumours. That's all. One disproving the other. Not really a big deal.

powers74
Aug 13, 2011, 08:02 PM

iPods 9~10/11
iPhone 1/12
iPad 3~4/12

Mr. Gates
Aug 14, 2011, 05:20 AM
Notice how there have been NO rumors about any new iPods? Everyone's so caught up with the next iPhone it's just depressing.

True.

I've been waiting for an updated iPod Classic forever !

I use it as my Car Stereo so the higher capacity the better.

ogee
Aug 14, 2011, 06:57 AM
So, sometime in the fall we'll see the iPhone 5. Ok.

Thats a definite maybe.
:D

mattg3
Aug 14, 2011, 09:33 AM
I would imagine the casemakers know when things are coming out.How can they not already have ipod and iphone cases in production for the next generation releases if they are next month?

justinfreid
Aug 14, 2011, 01:53 PM
Thats a definite maybe.
:D

I didn't even say the fall of which year, 2011, 2012, maybe 2049?

Lefty Loco
Aug 15, 2011, 08:43 AM
Whatever the case, it's free advertising for Apple. I want to educate myself on stock trading and get my feet wet before these releases. Anyone have any "Stocks for Dummies" resource suggestions?

vitzr
Aug 15, 2011, 01:22 PM
Ahmmmm This is not Apple changing dates on us. This is Mac-Rumors putting up 2 differing rumours. That's all. One disproving the other. Not really a big deal.
So true, this is a rumors site. I happen to enjoy knowing that any rumor that appears elsewhere, will likely be picked up and posted here.

They are nothing if not entertaining when viewed with a less than serious take. After all, most of us know that the only real date will be when Apple finally makes the announcement.

Obsessing over a date is not healthy :)

It's just a phone. Somehow most of you survived before it, and will still be alive afterwards... LOL.

Jibbajabba
Aug 15, 2011, 01:39 PM
So true, this is a rumors site. I happen to enjoy knowing that any rumor that appears elsewhere, will likely be picked up and posted here.

They are nothing if not entertaining when viewed with a less than serious take. After all, most of us know that the only real date will be when Apple finally makes the announcement.

Obsessing over a date is not healthy :)

It's just a phone. Somehow most of you survived before it, and will still be alive afterwards... LOL.

And 6 months after the new iPhone release it starts all over again with rumors about iPhone 6 which does your laundry in the cloud while making dinner ;)

karma13612
Aug 15, 2011, 05:03 PM
So many rumors, not enuf fact!

It's good to hear something about the iPhone, but I certainly wish we would hear some information about the IPod Touch. I do not currently own one, and have no intention of purchasing the current generation based on 'rumors' that a new one will be out.

So, normally they come out in September according to past release dates, but now it seems we are in a holding pattern!

ah well, I will need to stay patient. I am not buying a current version.

Steamlord
Aug 16, 2011, 08:08 AM
Indeed. There have been no ipod rumors as of late. I suppose it might be that iPad and iPhone rumors overshadow the iPod. Then again, there was that rumor that the iPod Touch would be discontinued.

vitzr
Aug 17, 2011, 09:36 PM
Finally the iPhone 5 is soon to be behind us, then we can move on to the iPhone 6.

That's the one that is certain to bring some very interesting features to the smartphone space.