Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brandontod97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
i was wondering if anybody here knew how to code in Xcode (or c++ or coacoa touch or what ever apple uses for application development) because i want to learn how to code an iOS application. i want to work at apple corporate in the iPhone engineering dept. but you need to know how to code so if you know how to code would you mind telling a beginner or if you know a good book for teaching beginners tell me or if you want to do both........

brandontod97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
plee help me

i was wondering if anybody here knew how to code in Xcode (or c++ or coacoa touch or what ever apple uses for application development) because i want to learn how to code an iOS application. i want to work at apple corporate in the iPhone engineering dept. but you need to know how to code so if you know how to code would you mind telling a beginner or if you know a good book for teaching beginners tell me or if you want to do both........

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Good to see you have a long term goal there... I've got to be honest, I had the same goal when I was just starting...

Anyways, here's exactly what you're looking for:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=395605774

Start at video 1 and be sure to do the assignments as you go through all the videos.

Other than that, the official Apple iPhone Developer Documentation (the link is given in one of the lecture videos) and Google should be all you need.

brandontod97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Good to see you have a long term goal there... I've got to be honest, I had the same goal when I was just starting...

Start at video 1 and be sure to do the assignments as you go through all the videos.

Other than that, the official Apple iPhone Developer Documentation (the link is given in one of the lecture videos) and Google should be all you need.

thank you ArtOfWarfare that i just clicked the link and i am downloading the videos now! :D:):apple: also have you guys heard of a book called "programming in objective-c by stephen g kochan" is it any good?

Last edited:

brandontod97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011

i am watching the video and its kind of complicated I'm not even sure i get what he is saying. i haven't coded a day in my life soo i need an absolute beginners guide to iOS coding. ill try to keep watching and see if it becomes clear.......:(:confused:

Last edited:

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
You might want to step back and learn the concept of computer programming in general before you get into Objective C. You might be trying to grasp too much at one time.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
You might want to learn C before you learn Obj-C. The book The C Programming Language (the letter C is big and blue, front and center... The word ANSI might be written to the side in red depending on the edition of the book,) was how I learned C. I personally only read the first chapter before moving on to learning iPhone programming.

brandontod97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
You might want to step back and learn the concept of computer programming in general before you get into Objective C. You might be trying to grasp too much at one time.

think your right KarlJay

You might want to learn C before you learn Obj-C. The book The C Programming Language (the letter C is big and blue, front and center... The word ANSI might be written to the side in red depending on the edition of the book,) was how I learned C. I personally only read the first chapter before moving on to learning iPhone programming.

@ArtOfWarfare who wrote the book you are referring to:):D:eek:?

Last edited:

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
I started with the Kochan book. It's very good, written for an absolute beginner. It teaches you the basics of a lot of things I now don't think twice about, but back when I started baffled me. I didn't finish the book, once I got about half way through I felt confident enough to move on to iOS programming. That's when I started reading Beginning iPhone 3 Development (Now an iPhone 4 version). This book builds on a previous knowledge of the fundamentals of Obj-C, while also teaching you about the features of iOS and how to implement them in your applications.

brandontod97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
I started with the Kochan book. It's very good, written for an absolute beginner. It teaches you the basics of a lot of things I now don't think twice about, but back when I started baffled me. I didn't finish the book, once I got about half way through I felt confident enough to move on to iOS programming. That's when I started reading Beginning iPhone 3 Development (Now an iPhone 4 version). This book builds on a previous knowledge of the fundamentals of Obj-C, while also teaching you about the features of iOS and how to implement them in your applications.

who writes the iOS coding book you are referring to?:D;)

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
University coursework towards a degree in engineering and/or computer science would be a good start. There's a ton more learn about coding than can be found in just a couple books.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I recommend Sams, teach yourself iPhone Application development in 24 hours: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...mp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=0672332205 - Its is what I am using..

Incorrect Original: I'd like to point out the fact that there is no need to actually purchase the book, as the first 691 pages of the 692 page book are available for preview. Just click on the "Click to Look Inside" button right above the picture of the cover of the book.

Edit: The above comment is incorrect. I was looking through the preview, noticed it seemed to be an awfully long preview, decided to skip to the end and noticed the last page included was page 691 of 692. The preview appears to just have the foreword material, the first chapter (of 24), and the index.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.