Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RDowson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Hey

Since upgrading to Lion my MacBook Pro takes ages to start-up and shutdown.

I've tried everything I can think of/seen on forums.

I've uninstalled the Huawei modem drivers, repaired permissions, cleared caches folder.

Anyone else have any other ideas? I'd prefer to avoid a clean install if I can help it.

Thanks

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Maybe you are ending the session and allowing too many apps and documents open?

Is there something else going on? Like Time Machine backup, MobileMe Sync, downloads...file sharing

Use Activity Monitor to see what is happening.

Use Disk Utility to do a permission fix.

Update to the latest software level.

RDowson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm not sure how I've done t but I seem to have managed to get it to boot up and shut down much quicker.

It's still not as quick as SL but much quicker than it was before.

Boots up in around 35-40 seconds on 15" i7 2.66GHz MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM. Is this the average for Lion?

What's everyone else getting?

Thanks

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I have a late 2008 15" MBP with 8GB RAM and SSD + HDD.
With Lion it shutdowns in 12 seconds and boots to the user screen in 27 seconds.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
  1. Boot in Safe Mode (Hold Left Shft before Apple Logo)
  2. Restart
  3. Terminal - "sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force"
  4. Restart
  5. Terminal - "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly"
  6. Restart
  7. Full iDefrag while booted off another HD or using their boot CD
  8. Enjoy slight to moderate boot speed increase

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I have a late 2008 15" MBP with 8GB RAM and SSD + HDD.
With Lion it shutdowns in 12 seconds and boots to the user screen in 27 seconds.

I suspect that's because you probably have the OS installed on the SSD

I have to say the boot and start up times of Lion on my 2011 Mini are slower then those for Snow Leopard on my 2009 Mini. I don't usually have any windows/apps open when I shut down so that can't be it. It's not a big deal but it would be nice if it was faster. I'm beginning to wish I should have gone with an SSD/HD combo.

knightsearch

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2010
Solution

Re-post from jboyzh (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3194348?start=15&tstart=0):

Found a fix that worked here:

I've had a Huawei USB internet stick installed a year or so ago I don't use any more, but Lion install obviously migrated the obviously not 100% compatible Huawei StartupItems which caused the slow down in my case.

Deleted the following folders: Mac HD/Library/StartupItems/NWNetMgr and /HWPortDetect, password necessary. After a reboot, shutdown went to almost instant (a second or so w/ SSD).

If you know what you do, you might check, and eventually delete (save a copy before deleting in case you need the files again or break something) the entries in Library/StartupItems, /LaunchAgents, /LaunchDaemons, plus the same folders at User/Library and see if it fixes slow shutdown.

onefine

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
Hi all! My boot time was almost 2 min 30 seconds on Lion. Now it is about 40-50 seconds.
1. DO CLEAN/FRESH INSTALL OF LION (do not update from Snow Leopard!)
2. DONT INSTALL PARALLELS 7 (its slow down boot time about + 40 seconds!)
Now I am very impressed how quick Lion is

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.