Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShermDog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Chicago
I'm in the process of setting up an internal RAID, and I'm deciding which SATA Host Card to purchase, and I've narrowed it down to two: the Firmtek 1S2 (with 2 internal ports) or 1V4 (with 4 internal ports). I only want to create a 2-drive RAID, and don't have plans on adding more later, so I really only need a card with two ports.

However, the 1V4 is a PCI-X card, while the 1S2 is only PCI. All things being equal, and using only two drives, will I see any performance difference between these two cards?

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
ShermDog said:
I'm in the process of setting up an internal RAID, and I'm deciding which SATA Host Card to purchase, and I've narrowed it down to two: the Firmtek 1S2 (with 2 internal ports) or 1V4 (with 4 internal ports). I only want to create a 2-drive RAID, and don't have plans on adding more later, so I really only need a card with two ports.

However, the 1V4 is a PCI-X card, while the 1S2 is only PCI. All things being equal, and using only two drives, will I see any performance difference between these two cards?

I'm guessing that you have a G5 with PCI-X support? There will be a speed difference with the 1V4, however I don't know how big. I have the 1VE2 external card and I/O read/writes fly. Same X-Bench results as my internal Diamondmax, in the harddrive expansion bay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.