Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
I plan on heading to my Apple store in Atlanta on April 29th (my whole family is going actually) for their release event from 6-midnight. I know it will be PACKED, but I think it will be fun. They're giving away PB's, ipods, and some other stuff too.

Just wondering, is it hopeless to count on buying my new 12" powerbook that night? Or do you think they will all be sold out with the hype? Can you ask Apple to hold one for you for when you come in?

Anyways, just wondering if anyone else is planning on going to one, as I know several stores are having them.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
My closest Apple store (Rockingham Park - Salem, NH) is an hour and a half away. There's an Apple retailer but I know for sure they will not have a party. I even doubt that the'll have Tiger for sale ont he 29th.

I'll be home eagerly awaiting the FedEx truck on the 29th :D

tomhut

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
London
London

Ill be at the London Store on the 29th. Any idea if I should show up early and if so how early if they are going to sell out quickly.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
tomhut said:
Ill be at the London Store on the 29th. Any idea if I should show up early and if so how early if they are going to sell out quickly.
I'm not sure if selling out is the big worry. It's how long you might have to wait to get in. The line may start forming sometime in the middle of the day and it'll just grow from there.

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
London, UK
tomhut said:

I totally want to go to that one too! I highly doubt it'd be as crowded as when it first opened so I'd say maybe get there a bit early, but not overly early.

I missed the .Mac event they had a while back...I'm sure if anyone had gone to that, it might be a good guage of how long the line would be and what kind of wait you might be looking at.

They should have a good amount of copies on hand, so as long as you get there at the beginning you shouldn't have too much a problem. It's 89 quid, so not everyone will be buying it there on the spot (i.e. they'll be waiting for other stores for cheaper or using the edu discount).

Applespider

macrumors G4
.Mac night in London was busy (a few hundred) but nothing like opening day. I doubt there will be lines from midday unless they announce they have limited supplies! It's the lines at the registers that are always painful there!

I suspect it may depend on timing - the London page is still showing things in the theatre until 8pm so it doesn't look like they're closing at 5pm and reopening at 6pm as suggested. It may just be that they haven't updated that week yet since it also says they have a Panther workshop on Saturday 30th! :confused:

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
London, UK
Applespider said:
It may just be that they haven't updated that week yet since it also says they have a Panther workshop on Saturday 30th! :confused:

Hehe, I've been wondering about that as well...

I am definitely showing up to win myself an iPod :cool: I've already got a PB, so that'd just be computer gluttony!

I'd completely forgotten about the queues for buying stuff until you mentioned it...that is indeed the worst part! (it took me 20 minutes of waiting to buy a keyboard protector--I can only imagine Tiger day)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'll be attending the event at the Rockingham, NH store. Should be fun. I plan on showing up a bit early in case there are any cool door prizes. At the Panther party a year and a half ago, the line started over an hour early. Nothing of any value was given away - unless you were the lucky winner of one of the very few drawings - but it was great fun anyway!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I'm probqably not going at this point. I pre-ordered it and while I like the goodies and excitement, Panther was a mob scene.

Thinking I'm ordering pizza and doing two clean installs on the iBook and the G4. True geek's Friday night. :D

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
A friend and I are going to hit up the Apple Store outside Cleveland. We're both Mac nerds and will probably just soak up the atmosphere for a few hours and maybe win something. (So we are the people there for no reason that others complain about saying it is so crowded!)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I'll head up to the Towson (Md.) store and scope out the situation with my little guy, probably around 2 or 3 that afternoon. I pre-ordered, so if it's way crowded or my son gets too antsy, we'll just go home and play. I'd like to get a freebie, though. Think there wil be Tiger dog tags?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Raven VII said:
Anyone know if they're going to give out those OS X mousepads like the Jaguar and Panther events?
No mousepads at Panther - there were dogtags instead.

One Mac store has advertised Tiger Watches, so who knows if Apple will be giving those out as well.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I want to attented but don't plan on purchasing tiger, i'll wait to put in on the rents credit card a week later. :p Anyone going to the Chestnut hill store in MA, or the Chambridge...?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I'd go but the closest Apple store is 6 hours away :(. However, I was at the mall the other day, and noticed that they've just started construction on the new addition to the mall, which is going to contain an Apple store :). Last I heard it's supposed to open on July 1, but they were supposed to start construction in January, so I imagine it won't open until Fall.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
Still awaiting a final plan but if it is like Panther, Florida State University computer store will be having a party. They had pizza, soda, some other free stuff. But the best part was it only cost $29 for the upgrade if you pre-ordered through them. They are still planning the event and they will know on Wednesday if the price will be the same. I hope so, I need to purchase two copies, one for the iBook and one for the Mini.

I could care less about the pizza. All I want is Tiger!

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
Bubbasteve said:
I would love to go get Tiger when it's released but I have school/Prom that day :(

I think that is the best quote ever! Someone is sad because they have to go to prom over a Tiger party.

I hope your prom is a lot of fun. Don't worry, Tiger will be there when you get back.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
besides the pb and ipods, do you think they will give away shirts... i always wanted an apple shirt :cool: :rolleyes:

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
puckhead193 said:
besides the pb and ipods, do you think they will give away shirts... i always wanted an apple shirt :cool: :rolleyes:

Check out your local Goodwill or Salvation Army store. If there is an Apple store nearby, they might have some shirts. My friend has found a few shirts. He has one that says Mac Geek.

And if you win an iPod or PowerBook and would rather have a shirt, send me a PM. I will be happy to make a trade. :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
puckhead193 said:
I want to attented but don't plan on purchasing tiger, i'll wait to put in on the rents credit card a week later. :p Anyone going to the Chestnut hill store in MA, or the Chambridge...?

My wife and I have made plans to be at the Chestnut Hill Mall Apple Store. I think that there will be plenty of PowerBooks on hand to purchase. My wife purchased one last year, the 10% discount made the decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.