Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geekygeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
I downloaded a file from Apple called Lion Recovery Disc and I saved it to my 8 gig flash drive. What does it do? Does it reset your Air to factory settings? Apple has some requirements to download the disc though. Does my mid 2011 air meet these requirements?

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
didn't help me I just need to know if it restores my air to factory.

No, nothing that's available to the end user can restore it to factory, the restore partition and everything else will give you a clean install of Lion, but that is sans iLife which was installed from factory.

The Recovery Disk Assistant will make a bootable USB that's i think identical to your restore partition, and on the new machines you can get that back with CMD+R

Both will still need to download around 4GB from apple to reinstall Lion, i wonder if the 69$ usb stick they started selling works with the new machines.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
From the link I posted:
OS X Lion includes a new feature called Lion Recovery that includes all of the tools you need to reinstall Lion, repair your disk, and even restore from a Time Machine backup without the need for optical discs.
... but that is sans iLife which was installed from factory.
From the same link:
If you reinstall Lion on a new Mac that shipped with OS X Lion installed, on an erased or replaced hard drive, you can download iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand from the Mac App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.