Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I was debating switching down from my 27 inch 2011 base model to the base 2011 21.5 inch iMac... but now I kind of want to even go lower and get a Mac Mini... mostly because I want to take it apart and put an SSD in it for some bad ass speed...

Does anyone know the difference in render time to convert videos would be on the 2.3ghz or 2.5ghz dual-core i5 processors in comparison to the quad-core i5 2.5ghz?

That is the only real thing I will be doing on it that is intensive... I like to rip and convert videos to watch on my appleTV and iPad.

Occasionally I use Final Cut Pro to edit a little video but that is few and far between... and I'm sure no matter what either Mac Minis will be faster than my previous i3 3.06ghz base iMac.

For gaming I play the occasional L4D(2) and some Portal... but that is really it and by occasionally it's like once or twice a month.

I will be upgrading the RAM to 8gb as I already have the chips ready and waiting to be installed.

Also which Mini fits my needs? $599 or $799?

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I was debating switching down from my 27 inch 2011 base model to the base 2011 21.5 inch iMac... but now I kind of want to even go lower and get a Mac Mini... mostly because I want to take it apart and put an SSD in it for some bad ass speed...

Does anyone know the difference in render time to convert videos would be on the 2.3ghz or 2.5ghz dual-core i5 processors in comparison to the quad-core i5 2.5ghz?

That is the only real thing I will be doing on it that is intensive... I like to rip and convert videos to watch on my appleTV and iPad.

Occasionally I use Final Cut Pro to edit a little video but that is few and far between... and I'm sure no matter what either Mac Minis will be faster than my previous i3 3.06ghz base iMac.

For gaming I play the occasional L4D(2) and some Portal... but that is really it and by occasionally it's like once or twice a month.

I will be upgrading the RAM to 8gb as I already have the chips ready and waiting to be installed.

Also which Mini fits my needs? $599 or $799?

if you render often the server is the fastest with handbrake hands down.

a 2010 or a 2009 c2d 2.66 will do big buck bunny in 22 minutes.
the 2011 2.3 takes 14 minutes
the 2011 2.5 takes 11 minutes
the 2011 server takes 6 min in change.

big buck bunny is 10 mini long cartoon in 1080p. the 2011 quad server is the fastest for handbrake render

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
discussion about handbrake transcoding times:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1204291/

hd3000 can handle casual games like portal at low/medium graphics settings. anything more and you'd probably want a dgpu. fcpx will run fine on any mini (however, probably best to use a fast external drive for media files if your internal hdd is too slow).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.