Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2010
South FL
Doesn't make any sense, I have an 09' Pro so running a mini dvi to hdmi, and mini to rca cables for audio. Can get video, but no sound. Tried on my other tv's and same thing (all LCD's none older than a year). Went through settings on tv's, no go.

In sound menu only once it showed some output thing (instead of internal or headphones) but it said something about no output control. Headphones work fine on it. I tried a different setup of mini to rca and same thing, no sound output. Everyone says you should be able to choose your tv from the sound menu on os/x, but ummm nothing shows?

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
You need to find a setting on your TV that tells it to pair the HDMI video input with the RCA audio input. Some TVs don't allow this or only allow it for one HDMI input. If so, you can look for an adapter for the Mac that will combine audio and video into the HDMI signal.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2010
South FL
Ughh this sucks. I don't see anything like that. Like the main tv in the living room only gives these options for setting up audio:

PC Audio - yes/no
HDMI 1 Audio - auto/digital/analog

the other settings wouldn't have anything to do with it as those are language, mts, optical output etc.

edit - on audio settings on os/x people are saying you just have to choose hdmi or tv from it but the only things that show are "internal" and "headphones".

Last edited:

FelixC

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
Just because you can get adapters to convert from DVI to HDMI does not mean it will work properly.

DVI does not carry audio in its stream. Only a HDMI signal does. The MacBookPro has a DVI output that does not carry any audio. That is why you do not receive any audio.

The only thing you can do is connect to the audio jack on the MacBook Pro to a stereo unit to receive audio. The best you can hope for is 2 channel audio.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2010
South FL
Just because you can get adapters to convert from DVI to HDMI does not mean it will work properly.

DVI does not carry audio in its stream. Only a HDMI signal does. The MacBookPro has a DVI output that does not carry any audio. That is why you do not receive any audio.

The only thing you can do is connect to the audio jack on the MacBook Pro to a stereo unit to receive audio. The best you can hope for is 2 channel audio.
I'm not using the mini dvi for sound only for video it as I know the 09's don't transfer sound through it (it's setup mini->dvi->hdmi cable connecting to tv), I have an rca audio cable with mini jack for sound as that's what others online and on here said is all that's needed to plug into the tv's for sound. TV has multiple inputs for RCA, HDMI slot 4 on the side combines RCA, USB port etc in one spot.

Last edited:

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2010
South FL
Fig'd it out. Not sure how people are connecting mini to RCA on tv's, but mine and any newer tv should have a PC input. I have other PC connections. I didn't bother with it at first b/c people on here and online said you only need to run a min/rca to the tv inputs. But I got a 3.5mm-3.5mm audio cable and connected directly from the MBP to the PC Audio/HMDI1 input and it worked perfect. I had to put my hd cable on hdmi 2, and the cable from the MBP to hdmi 1.

So that's how it's done with an 09' MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.