Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelseph7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Ok so I bought my MBA from Best Buy on thursday. I know it comes with the 1 year warranty. My question is do we have to register our new macs online to activate the 1 year warranty? Or is it automatic when ever you purchase any mac?

Im converting from a windows pc so this is my first mac. So forgive me for being a noob :eek:

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Apple already knows your computer is under warranty. I think they just check your serial number to find out.

Your 1 year warranty isn't called Applecare though. You have to buy Applecare which will give you 2 additional years of coverage. I would recommend you get Applecare if you plan on keeping your MBA for the next 3 years, but
If you're tight on cash now, you have until the end of your 1st year to buy it.

joelseph7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Yes, I do plan on using this for at least 3 years and buying applecare, but I am tight on cash now so that will have to be later down the road before the 1 year ends.

Thank you for answering my question. :)

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Fyi...

The consistently best price online for AppleCare is at the L.A. Computer Company, an authorized Apple reseller.

Stay away from eBay; most, if not all AppleCare deals on eBay are scams. There are even counterfeit AppleCare boxes. The sellers who e-mail the serial number resell the same serial numbers over and over again. Apple's online Applecare registration system will accept multiple registrations of the same serial number, but the first registration is the only one that Apple considers to be valid when a claim is made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.