PDA

View Full Version : Guitar amp directly into duet?

learningtofry
Aug 14, 2011, 02:04 AM
Hi all!
Have a simple question regarding my apogee duet.
Was wondering if it's safe and viable to hook up my guitar amp directly into the apogee duet.
I like one of the crunchy tones the amp gives me and wanted to record it directly.
Also is it safe to do this over the long term?
The amp is a roland cube 1.5X and gives 15W of output.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

musio
Aug 14, 2011, 03:45 AM
If you go direct you'll get a very different sound to what you hear. You miss the speaker interaction with the room, pushing air, etc. Why not record with a mic?

Going direct from the amp you might as well go direct and use the ampsims in GB so you can adjust your tone and tweak :)

learningtofry
Aug 14, 2011, 04:01 AM
hi, thanks,
the option mic'ing is there...but i live in a noisy area :(
as to using gb, i am not getting a strong and clear signal in the first place...
so i thought i'd try plugging in the amp directly, maybe even a processer...
either ways wanted to experiment with this... but am worried the amp (with or without processor might damage the duet).
is it safe?

Benguitar
Aug 14, 2011, 09:48 AM
It is safe if you don't use the speaker out jack, You have to use a line level out, Basically an effects loop or direct out.

A headphone jack might work if your amp has it.

If you have a line level out, I would simulate a cab and speaker in garageband or get a cab simulator pedal from Palmer or R3FX.

Papanate
Aug 14, 2011, 11:40 AM
You can go out the Recording/Phones Jack into a line input on the Duet.
As noted you will have to tweak the tone quite a bit to hear what you hear
in the room you are playing the amp in.

FYI more often than not the sound out of the 'Recording' jacks on amps do not give you a good tone. It's probably tapped right after the preamp so you would only get the front end sound.

Most of the meat of guitar tone comes from the Power Amp section - and then the speaker.

musio
Aug 16, 2011, 04:22 AM
i am not getting a strong and clear signal in the first place...

You have a duet and you're not getting enough gain? Then your guitar is broken!

Your duet should be giving you more than enough gain, seriously. Check your setting in maestro, your levels might be set low there.

Check out Amp designer http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/whats-new/

learningtofry
Aug 22, 2011, 12:58 PM
Hi all and thanks very much for the replies.
Actually my Apogee seems fine when I plug in my guitar directly. It's just that I really want to try this out.
So I tried the jack on my guitar amp that says "recording out/ phones" but getting a terrible signal/ lousy and weak sound when I take it into the Apogee. You were all right... So I guess the guitar-amp's earphone out in no way comes close to the guitar's actual speaker itself?
Would there be any other way of getting the amp sound into the Apogee (other than a mike)?
I have a Digitech RP 60. What if I take a line out from there? Will that work.
What exactly is line level?
Actually I also wanted to take a line out from my keyboard (a very very basic one) into the Apogee, but when I do that, the sound sucks, esp since the keyboard has a very basic sound. Can I add something in between to improve it?
Thanks for any help.