Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacprobook

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm looking into the possibility of adding a mini to my Hifi for hi res downloads, and am wondering whether I could use an iPad as a remote display/ controller? I have read about screen sharing but would welcome any advice on feasability..

Many thanks.

hammten

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
I think it may be possible. Look into splashtop or logmein as potential ipad apps to accomplish this. Both should have a free version for you to mess around with. Good luck.

iMacprobook

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Hi, Thanks, that looks like a good option, they both look like useful apps, didnt know you could do that..

How do other headless mini users control theirs, is it usually with a laptop/desktop?

Many thanks again.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
I have a headless Mac Mini has a file server, and I control it by VNC/ARD.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Although my Mini is not headless ( I have an Apple wireless keyboard, Track Pad and Magic Mouse connected to it ) it is connected to my HDTV which is my display. I have Splashtop installed on the Mini as well as it's corresponding app on my iPad. It allows me to access my Mini when I'm watching TV or playing games on one of my consoles. It works pretty well.

randomhkkid

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
I find that team viewer is one of the best for remote control through the ipad. personally i find it better than splashtop and logmein. And its FREE :)

treestar

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
With options of using the iPad, and iPod remote, and the bluetooth keyboard and Magic Trackpad, I think you will find a few things that work. Your idea to use the iPad full time was a little crazy I thought at first, but you are going to have the mini hooked up to a huge display so everything is looking good.

nigelquest

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
VNC or the like are a good option, but if you would like to use the ipad as a true monitor and have the least lag possible go with AirDisplay. I have mine set up to autoconnect to my ipad when the app is running and I use the bluetooth keyboard and trackpad to control it. Works excellent and has a decent refresh rate unless you are trying to play a game or watch a video, which I dont recommend. I will warn you it can be flakey at times so make sure you have a program like logmein available or a monitor handy in case you need to troubleshoot. Good luck!

iMacprobook

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Thanks for all of the recommendations here, certainly some options that should work out ok, as all i'l need essentially is control of the itunes interface. I know i can do this from my phone, so maybe use that to begin with, as i'd have to buy an ipad specifically, though i'll end up using it elsewhere i'm sure..

hardax

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
New Hampshire
Dont forget that if you are using any program on your headless mini that requires any sort of fancy graphical rendering - even if its just a menu screen etc., you need to have a physical monitor hooked up for it to work right. I have been VNC connecting to my mini in my home theater. I use PLEX as my multimedia software. There is a screen that you use to manage your movie collections and without a physical monitor detected, all it shows is a black window where it should show DVD cover art. Haven't figured out a way around it yet.

ejamm

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
If you are looking to control your mac mini with your iPad I would recommend RC Trackpad. I have my mac mini connected to my HD TV and I use my RC Trackpad to do everything from my iPad. With the new update RC Trackpad now incorporates and upper section that allows you to Tab, Shift, Pg Up, Pg Dn as well a variety of options simply by sliding the top bar left or right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.