PDA

View Full Version : Logic

acwwjd
Aug 14, 2011, 03:07 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm a long time recording hobbyist (Cubase- PC) and I'm about to purchase an iMac for my teenage sons to use Logic Pro. They are both at an intermediate level with Cubase and do really well with Garageband. Also, they currently use iMovie and within a couple of years I see them growing into using Final Cut. Any guidelines on the minimum requirements needed now and where to go as far as upgrading in the near future as the "size" of their recordings/videos grow?

Thank You!

Papanate
Aug 14, 2011, 04:38 PM
Logic will run well on a i5 quad core...faster on a i7.
iMovie does fine with a i5 quad core...much better on a i7.

Both require separate drives for storage versus apps IMO.

Final Cut Pro 7...The i7 minimum...16gb of ram is great...it will run fine on 8gb.
Big Harddrives are needed for storage - external firewire have worked quite well for me.

I will say that the new Mac Mini looks like it would be a great fit for you and your kids. You could easily get into a i7 and 8gb ram plus 2 750 gb drives for under $1300. Pair that with a 27 Inch Cinema screen and you are in great shape. That could run most anything they do for at least the next few years.

There is also the baseline 27" iMac...which you can get into at $1599 (buy it for your kids using a Educational Discount). That would run most of the programs you want. It won't run FCP as well...okay but long render times and some real time editing issues.

acwwjd
Aug 14, 2011, 05:22 PM
Hey Papanate,

Your time to respond is greatly appreciated.

I'm a real rookie with the lingo......what do you mean by.....

"Both require separate drives for storage versus apps IMO"

As far as my background on the hard drive subject, I've recorded using Cubase on my pc for years just using the hard drive that was part of the computer. It wasn't anything special.

Thanks again.

Jolly Jimmy
Aug 14, 2011, 07:00 PM
Depending on the size of the projects and the amount of tracks being recorded simultaneously, and internal drive may not be able to keep up with running the system and the reading/writing to the project at the same time. In Logic you get a "Disk too slow" error when this happens.

acwwjd
Aug 14, 2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks Jolly Jimmy.

That clears that up.

How/where can I get info on the hard drive choices that would be best for my specific use?

The few times I contacted Mac via live chat (recent laptop purchase), the operator seemed to only respond to my Logic questions with the typical "minimum requirements" listing.

He never mentioned using an external hard drive.

Thanks again.

Jolly Jimmy
Aug 14, 2011, 07:40 PM
USB is much too slow for this kind of stuff, so FireWire is a must.

Papanate
Aug 14, 2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks Jolly Jimmy.
How/where can I get info on the hard drive choices that would be best for my specific use?
He never mentioned using an external hard drive.

You need something that has a fast transfer speed...and firewire is the best of the current working solutions IMO.

There are a number of External Drives out there...my preference is for
Western Digital's MY Book series...the Elite is the one that comes stock with
Firewire now. If you have a Costco near you...they are offering the 3 TB WD My Book Firewire for $120 right now...an absolutely killer deal....$40 USD per Terabyte.

Other Mac centric people prefer LaCie...which is an excellent brand.
I have not had issues with Seagate...but I've read too many negative reviews to go with one.

cps-sound
Aug 15, 2011, 04:22 PM
An iMac should scream with Logic. Especially a new one.
I have been running Logic Studio on an old iMac G5 and it does really well.
For complex reverbs and lots of software instruments (comes with logic)--- you can run out of power quick but there are tricks to work around this which I have had no problem doing.

Essentially, with the iMac G5, I have to find ways to put the work on the hard-disks instead of the CPU which is possible-- it just locks you into some of your decisions-- which you can of course redo later. It just takes a little longer to finish your songs.

with a newer iMac, you will have much more power than the G5 and I believe the software is optimized for them rather than the power pcs..

That said, you need an external drive for your tracks.. and you need an I/O interface. this is your real consideration. My imac has 2 firewire 400 ports which makes it great for recording audio in my case. Some people need one firewire and one usb 2.0. who knows what "will" be possible with thunderbolt but you are probably going to end up splitting your firewire 800 into two firewire 400 ports or using one firewire800 for the external hard drive and one of the usb ports for your interface.

I don't like using usb for anything personally.

TheRdungeon
Aug 27, 2011, 09:49 PM
I reckon grab a new mac mini server, they come standard with 2 7200rpm drives, so use one for system and one for storing projects on. Plus the i7 Quad core in it will absolutely fly. They also don't cost much if you keep the keyboard/mouse/screen when you upgrade