Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I've run out of blank CDs, and I only have DVDs. Can the 2001 iBook read DVDs? I'm just going to be putting files on them, which the iBook will be able to read.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Depends on the mode, I think the higher end ones can read DVDs.

Check about this Mac and "More info" and disc burning (I think 10.3 and up?) to see..

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Mactracker lists that it never had a DVD writer:

"Tray-loading CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD/CD-RW Combo"

Only DVD reading was possible in any of the optical options.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
I think on Mac OS 9 you want to hit system profiler and look at the optical drive, one of the ATAs.

Or you could probably just try putting a regular DVD movie in and see, if it doesn't pull up it's not DVD.

Another option, why not use a flash drive to transfer files over? I mean 8GB drives are under $15 now.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I think on Mac OS 9 you want to hit system profiler and look at the optical drive, one of the ATAs.

Or you could probably just try putting a regular DVD movie in and see, if it doesn't pull up it's not DVD.

Another option, why not use a flash drive to transfer files over? I mean 8GB drives are under $15 now.

Ibook G3's also lacked USB2.0. It will be slow but that is always an option. If you have a lot of data to transfer, I recommend using ethernet cable linked to another computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.