PDA

View Full Version : Amp Designer in Logic without real guitar

jowa44
Aug 15, 2011, 04:04 AM
Hello there,

I've just bought Logic Express 9. I was surprised to see that the new Amp Designer also works with software instruments. So, I tried to use it with the "Acoustic Guitar" in the guitars section. However, it did not match the sound of a real electric guitar.
My question is: What software instrument inside Logic or on the internet comes the closest to an electric guitar played without an amp?

Thanks in advance!

cps-sound
Aug 15, 2011, 04:02 PM
My question is: What software instrument inside Logic or on the internet comes the closest to an electric guitar played without an amp?

Thanks in advance!

I have tried this. I've got different guitars/ accoustic and electric so I've got an idea of what your are talking about. One thing to look at is the different ways guitars sound "clean" and you have to consider how they can sound completely different depending on how you pick them or pluck them and how your fingering is on the fret-board.
For some reason, when I read your post, I was thinking you were trying to achieve a chunky chugging "metal" guitar sound using this method.
But just to show you my point, someone else may have read this same post and may have thought you were thinking of a more melodic blues clean tone.. all guitar amps create distortion and harmonics and they add voicing and gain and tone as well.

So your best bet is to go to guitar center and plug in an electric and test it out with and without the amp so you can get an idea of what the original sound should sound like..

you are most definitely not going to want to start with an "accoustic" sample because the sound is completely different.. you probably want to start with a "clean" electric sample and then you can amp it and "probably" simulate some credible electric tones-- either way you start with an electric sample.

Just focusing on guitar alone, you can spend years learning about every link in your chain learning about tone. Accoustics probably have many more frequencies present than an electric clean. Its deceptive because you'd think the clean electric would have more since there is an amp.. Typically, there are many less frequencies there but the ones you hear are much louder --- and again distorted.

The accoustic will have the full spectrum and every accoustic sounds different. Different wood and strings and humidity all affect the sound. Depending on how the apple loop was created, you could possibly be listening to a rich sample. Who knows what they did.. they may have used a great mic with eq and compression or they may have just used and electric accoustic with no processing.. neither is right or wrong.. you can get a great sample either way depending on what you are going for.

I'd start by searching the loop browser for "electric" + funk or blues or rock or 80's or 90's or something... or maybe try "clean"
but you are going to want to stay away from the accoustic tones. sure, you'll eliminate the boomy feedback which you'd probably have to deal with if you actually amped up an accoustic but you're still adding gain to an instrument in a way that isn't conventional. guitar amps don't add gain for all frequencies.. they have narrow bandwidth.. and they sort of filter out really high and really low frequencies. maybe some amps are better than others. (or worse than others depending on how you see that feature)

jowa44
Aug 16, 2011, 03:50 AM
Thanks for your lengthy reply! I'm definetly going to try that out :)