Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Hi

I'm seeking advise before I buy a mini.

My current set up is a 2008 macbook pro, with a QNAP 219P NAS and I sync content over to my 1st gen ATV.
I also run subsonic on the NAS to stream content to phones and my tablet.
So over all its a little slow and seeing issues with the QNAP firmware, at the moment no Lion users can use time machine via a QNAP NAS, although a fix is on its way.

To speed things up and take the NAS out i'm thinking of an always on base mini, which will serve as a home hub, I've got 3 1.5 tb disks that I can connect to the mini via USB and use one set with 2 partitions as time machines for the mini and MPB.

I also have a blu ray rom on order which I can connect to the mini.

So in the big picture the mini will host all itunes content, plus the time machine drives, and do my ripping of CD;s leaving my old MBP as a general serving duties machine. No games will be played on the mini.
And i'd guess I may as well replace the ATV and connect the mini direct to TV and AV amp.

I think i'll also continue to use my dedicated blu ray player for disk watching.

Would this seem like a good plan before I part with my £520?

UPDATE: Forgot to add i'll upgrade the ram to 4 or 8 gig.

Many Thanks Phil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.