Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oklaonion

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
So yesterday I got a wild hair up my butt and decided to test my "Grandaddy" iPod's battery life.

The iPod turns 5 this year. It is a 30 gb black one that I believe is a 5th generation. I received it in 2006 but the copyright on the back says 2005.

It has always held a special place in my heart. It was my first Christmas gift from my wife after we married and my first Apple product. I've since gone all Apple, in large part because I've always been very pleased with this device. Hell, it even has a bad ass inscription on the back: "Your love is music to my heart."

Anyway, so how I did this was play music on the thing for as long as it could go with medium volume while keeping the time on my iPhone.

The results: 14 hours of playback, with 9 hours of sleep time because I couldn't keep up with it overnight. I must say, I am quite pleased given how many people seem to have the super power of killing iPod batteries at will.

I've used the iPod pretty lightly but consistently over the years, probably using it once every several months or so, usually for the sole purpose of conserving its battery.

Still love the thing.

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 183

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
cool. i have a 5th gen that i use exclusively in my car. it gets run about an hour a day, during my commute to work, and i only have to charge it up maybe once a week or so - i'll bring it in the house on the weekends, and let it charge and sync. considering it sits in the car overnight and all day, i think the battery is running great.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
That's awesome. I have one in my car too, I'm scared to see IF the battery is any good. For the past two years it's been in my glovebox. I got an Alpine head unit that has a USB port in the BACK as opposed to the front like most (I wanted it specifically for this). I ran the USB cable into the glovebox, where the iPod sits. It only gets to come out of its cage when I buy new music and sync it. Hmm, kind of interested now, to see what that kind of awful abuse has done to it, to see how reliable it is. Keep in mind it's plugged in ALL the time, probably stays fully charged all the time, and in a hot/cold/in between glove box.

Griffindor73

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2002
Brighton, England
I have the same model as this one, only the 80g version and I use it several times a week to go to the gym + stuff at home and its absolutely fine- battery seems to be lasting just as long as it always did. (And this is after several spectacular drops on the floor at the gym- the pod has some really good dents on the metal bit at the back, but it still keeps on going!)

seb-opp

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
London/Norwich
I used to have that same iPod, it died at the start of 2008 so I got an 80GB classic to replace it. Sadly that died a few months ago, but I never had a real use for it since I got my iPhone

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Mine is the 60gb version. Since I've mainly used a case and front protector, it still looks good. If I don't use it for a few weeks, the battery is still at @ 100%. Definitely, it's a nice piece of hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.