Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreeneGirl7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Oxford, England
I recently bought an iBook. I also bought an iSkin to protect the keypad. I saw on the Apple site that you're not supposed to put anything over the keypad while the iBook is closed. Is the iSkin going to cause my iBook to cycle on and off or to overheat? Or is it light and thin enough to not matter? Thanks for any input.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
I don't think you have to worry, but I have no special knowledge. I thought the restriction was against operating an iBook while closed, in so-called "full clamshell" mode.

By the way, can you post the link to what you saw on the Apple site? thanks

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Interesting:

Never place anything over your keyboard before closing the display. This can cause your computer to cycle on and off which may create excessive heat and drain your battery.

So, I guess Apple says don't.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
GreeneGirl7 said:
I recently bought an iBook. I also bought an iSkin to protect the keypad. I saw on the Apple site that you're not supposed to put anything over the keypad while the iBook is closed. Is the iSkin going to cause my iBook to cycle on and off or to overheat? Or is it light and thin enough to not matter? Thanks for any input.

I think the concerns when the iBook are closed are more smudging the screen and/or putting pressure on it. I close my iBook all the time with the iSkin in it. It does sometimes smudge the screen. These smudges come off easily with water, as long as you don't let them accumulate too long between cleanings.

With respect to cycling and heating, the computer is already asleep, in the case of the iBook, when it's closed. I'm not sure why there would be issues....

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
This doesn't seem to be correct since they ship iBooks and Powerbooks with a thin layer of foam over the keyboard and the battery was in place when I got mine. All I had to do was just turn it on. I think it's really meant not to put the iBook to sleep then cover the keyboard while the lid is closed but makes one wonder.

GreeneGirl7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Oxford, England
Artful Dodger said:
I think it's really meant not to put the iBook to sleep then cover the keyboard while the lid is closed but makes one wonder.

That's what I'm asking... whether leaving my iSkin in while the iBook is closed and sleeping is a problem.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Artful Dodger said:
This doesn't seem to be correct since they ship iBooks and Powerbooks with a thin layer of foam over the keyboard and the battery was in place when I got mine. All I had to do was just turn it on. I think it's really meant not to put the iBook to sleep then cover the keyboard while the lid is closed but makes one wonder.

Or maybe they mean something that could press keys and make the computer try to wake up? Suffice it to say that I have had an iSkin on my iBook for almost every minute of its life, save the first week or so after I got it, and when I take it off to wash it, always close the iBook with it in there, and have never had these "sleep disturbances" as a result.....

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
mkrishnan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger

Or maybe they mean something that could press keys and make the computer try to wake up? Suffice it to say that I have had an iSkin on my iBook for almost every minute of its life, save the first week or so after I got it, and when I take it off to wash it, always close the iBook with it in there, and have never had these "sleep disturbances" as a result....
Same here mine is always on but, if some worry just take it off when the lid is closed or when one travels a great distance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.