Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyv8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
SO here is the deal. My own personal machine is an imac dual core intel.

But in order to keep my wife and mostly the kids off of it (I use it for work and music) I want to supply other options in the house.
We have an old g4 13" macbook and that's great for checking email in front of the TV .. now here is the dilemma.
a G5 imac that I put in the kitchen for the family died (shocker)
I broke my sons G4 quick silver in his room trying to take out a drive (he's 9 and loves loves loves garageband - we are a music family
so now we have no computer in his room or in the kitchen for family use

I now have one G5 tower and one imac G4

I'm not buying a new machine ... so which one goes to the 9 year old for garageband and whatever other photo / video stuff he wants to explore (I want to encourage him)

and which one should go in the kitchen as a family / check your email surf and watch hulu on?
The kitchen computer will also be used for home work and I will put an airport card in which ever will go there ... I don't want internet in my sons room unsupervised.
Put the G5 / better machine in the kitchen ... or let my son beat that up for garageband use ?? HELP !! and thanks

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
I'd put the G4 in the son's room and the G5 in the kitchen. The G5 will help watching Hulu vids.

Also kudos for wanting to supervise your child's internet use. :D

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
SO here is the deal. My own personal machine is an imac dual core intel.

...I broke my sons G4 quick silver in his room trying to take out a drive...

What exactly did you break that can't be easily fixed? Those are pretty tough machines.

johnnyv8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
nothing bad ... I cracked the housing of the optical drive ... It's to annoying to put it back in and being that I have these other machines I figured that I would just swap it out ... it was a super drive and I already put it into the G5 tower (there was no drive in that machine ... probably took it for parts at some point)

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
So what is non-functional about the QS, then? I still don't get why that no longer works. A replacement IDE DVDRW can probably be had for nothing if you look in Craiglist or Freecycle.

iJasonTATE

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
I'm sure the QS could be fixed. Put the G% in the kitchen and the iMac G4 in your sons room. I'm 14 and my iMac G4 is my bestfriend:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.