Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I've had my MacBook Air 11inch 2011 model for two weeks now and have had no problems with it until tonight when I switched it on. I notice a slight tinged thin horizontal line at the very top of the screen. It is more noticeable with a white background (the menu bar) with the display dimmed. I still get that same line/band when I use Windows 7 too.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Can you post a photo of it?
Sounds like the display is broken. Take it to apple they will repair it for free (as long as its definitely not your fault) Are you within the 14 day return thing?? they might give you a brand new one.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I bought the MacBook Air on the 8th August. So I might get a replacement. Only problem is that I was lucky to get one with the Samsung SSD. I am worried the replacement might have the Toshiba SSD instead.

-----------

I took a screen grab but the faint dark tinged thin line doesn't appear on the screen grab. Hmm strange:confused: I also took a photo but I cannot see the line as well. It seems to only be seen by the naked eye. The line is very faint and thin and runs along the top of the menu bar. It is also seen when in the Lion startup screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
So its only a week old. If you go their they have to exchange it if you are unhappy with it. As long as it looks new without damage.

The benchmarks between the two SSD's show significant speed differences. However it is said that users wont notice a difference when using it in day to day use, unless transferring files from a setup also capable of those speeds (so only some sort of thunderbolt SSD or thunderbolt RAID setup)

I guess if you get a new one with the toshiba. Return it for a full refund, say the computer doesn't fit your needs like you thought it will. Then purchase another one, haha. Jus kiddin. I personally wouldn't worry about the SSD difference too much.

----------

I took a screen grab but the faint dark tinged thin line doesn't appear on the screen grab. Hmm strange:confused:

Well thats because a screen grab is an image of what the GPU is sending out, not of what is on the screen. If the screen for example is smashed and you take a screen grap and look at it on another computer, it will look perfect. :D
If your problem would show up on a screen grab it would mean that you have a GPU problem.

You need to take an actual photo of it.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Yeah I took an actual photo of it as well and again it doesn't show on the photo.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Here is the photo I took.

I don't know if you can see it on the photo but there is a slightly dark tinged thin horizontal line running at the top of the menu bar.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
From the photo I have posted does anyone get that slight grey tinged thin line/band that goes across the top of the menu bar? It is also noticeable in the Apple startup white screen. It is about a millimetre thick and at the top of the screen.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
It looks like the top row of the pixels. If thats it, then definitely a screen problem. Get it exchanged.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Only problem is that I bought the MBA at a 10% discount price because it was opening day for Strormfront (the Apple reseller store). If I have to get a replacement I am wondering if I will have to pay the £100 difference.

Anyway it pisses me off that Apple don't use the same SSD and displays in all their MacBook Air models considering they sell them at the same price. Its just that I was lucky to get the MBA model with the Samsung SSD and Samsung display but fear the replacement will have the Toshiba SSD. I know you mentioned that there was no real difference for average users but I transfer a lot of video files for iMovie and audio files and the extra speed is essential.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Only problem is that I bought the MBA at a 10% discount price because it was opening day for Strormfront (the Apple reseller store). If I have to get a replacement I am wondering if I will have to pay the £100 difference.

Anyway it pisses me off that Apple don't use the same SSD and displays in all their MacBook Air models considering they sell them at the same price. Its just that I was lucky to get the MBA model with the Samsung SSD and Samsung display but fear the replacement will have the Toshiba SSD. I know you mentioned that there was no real difference for average users but I transfer a lot of video files for iMovie and audio files and the extra speed is essential.

That shouldn't change anything. I bought my MBP at 12% educational discount, special discount to my school, and they said I can exchange it no problems. And they would have. Its best if you go to an actual apple store, if there is one where you live, they wont care about discounts and where you bought it.

Yeh I feel ya! it is crap, but then whats worse, having a broken screen (which might get worse) or potentially having a little slower SSD.
May I ask what device you are transferring too? if its not thunderbolt then the quickest it can be is USB 2.0. So thats a max of like 35-40MB/S. I think the toshiba SSD still has speeds of like 150MB/s compared to like 225 of the Samsung. So that extra speed dosnt change anything in transfer times. Only when you have a setup capable of this speeds (thunderbolt RAID setup, or external SSD via Thunderbolt) is where the internal SSD speed matters greatly.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I use a USB2.0 hard drive and type 6 SD card on USB SD thumb drive to transfer aswell as connect USB music keyboard and USB audio and video devices to my MBA.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
I use a USB2.0 hard drive and type 6 SD card on USB SD thumb drive to transfer aswell as connect USB music keyboard and USB audio and video devices to my MBA.

Ok. I can guarantee you that you will not see a difference in transfer speeds if you were to have the Toshiba SSD. Only in the future if you happen to get a Thunderbolt device capable of the same speeds as your internal SSD.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I visited my local premium apple resellers today where I bought the MBA and told the manager the problem I was having. He had a look and told me it was normal. He told me it was no cause for concern. To be sure he compared it with another MBA and there was indeed the same thin greyish horizontal line/band right along the very top of the screen. He then told me that if in the unlikely event the line gets worse then to come back and they will take a look.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
I visited my local premium apple resellers today where I bought the MBA and told the manager the problem I was having. He had a look and told me it was normal. He told me it was no cause for concern. To be sure he compared it with another MBA and there was indeed the same thin greyish horizontal line/band right along the very top of the screen. He then told me that if in the unlikely event the line gets worse then to come back and they will take a look.

Hm that is weird. I don't have one so i can't compare, hmmmmm.
it might be normal then. I just never heard of this before, thats why i thought it is a screen issue.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Hm that is weird. I don't have one so i can't compare, hmmmmm.
it might be normal then. I just never heard of this before, thats why i thought it is a screen issue.

This has got me thinking that maybe I am just paranoid with my new MBA. These things seem to happen when I spend a lot of money on stuff.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.