Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattyO

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Have to admit that after waiting 3 weeks for my new mini to turn up (I live on a tiny island in the pacific) that I was pissed :mad: when I saw how short the monitor cable is. Now I have to hope that the store has an adapter for it so that I can finally use the mini. If not, I'll have to wait another week or so to get one delivered in the mail.

Very disappointed, but I am sure that once I manage to get the right cable that I will love the thing. :)

My monitor is an LG 26' 1080P

Should have checked the apple site beforehand to see what was in the box. my fault.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Have to admit that after waiting 3 weeks for my new mini to turn up (I live on a tiny island in the pacific) that I was pissed :mad: when I saw how short the monitor cable is. Now I have to hope that the store has an adapter for it so that I can finally use the mini. If not, I'll have to wait another week or so to get one delivered in the mail.

I don't see how Apple can say this is ready to use out of the box, when clearly you need to buy a or longer cable to use it. A 2 inch cable is clearly not long enough for anyone.

very disappointed, but I am sure that once I manage to get the right cable that I will love the thing. :)
That's not a monitor cable. It's an adapter. From Mac mini - Technical Specifications:
In the Box
  • Mac mini
  • HDMI to DVI Adapter
  • Power cord
  • Printed and electronic documentation
There are other cables and adapters on the Apple Store site:
ScreenCap 15.png

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
gotcha. Yeah. I am not a computer guy and thought I would be able to "plug and play" so to speak.

Just checked and on the back of my monitor it has a DVI input and a DSUB input. Which is better to use to get the most out of the monitor or are they the same?

thanks for any help.
Any DVI cable should work quite well. Here's a few to get your search started.

GrendelsBane

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Any DVI cable should work, with the supplied adaptor plugged into a USB port.

However, I would recommend not using the supplied adaptor and getting a Mini Display Port to DVI cable. That way you're using the proper video out port and not the USB port. These cables are NOT available at the Apple store, but can be found easily online fairly cheaply,eg:

http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1218

I got a Mini Display Port to Display Port cable from them for $19 to connect my 2011 mini to a 24" Dell and it works beautifully.

Have fun!

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
???

Is your monitor a television? Otherwise wouldn't your computer monitor come with cables?

MattyO

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
???

Is your monitor a television? Otherwise wouldn't your computer monitor come with cables?

No its a 26 inch LG Flatron 1920 X 1200 computer monitor. It has a DVI input and a DSUB input.

MattyO

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Any DVI cable should work, with the supplied adaptor plugged into a USB port.

However, I would recommend not using the supplied adaptor and getting a Mini Display Port to DVI cable. That way you're using the proper video out port and not the USB port. These cables are NOT available at the Apple store, but can be found easily online fairly cheaply,eg:

http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1218

I got a Mini Display Port to Display Port cable from them for $19 to connect my 2011 mini to a 24" Dell and it works beautifully.

Have fun!

Do you mean an HDMI to DVI? I don't think the 2011 mini has display port inputs ...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Do you mean an HDMI to DVI? I don't think the 2011 mini has display port inputs ...
No, it may have come with a DVI to DVI cable, which you can plug into the HDMI to DVI adapter that came with your mini.

MattyO

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
But it didn't come with cables?

I bought it used but the guy previously used it with his PC. He gave me a 15 pin (VGA?) cable and what looks like a USB cable with a squarish plug at the other end (it has a usb symbol on it). It looks like it goes into the monitor but I didn't think you could a USB port with a monitor. Can you?

Sorry I have no idea what the correct names are for these cables as I said I am computer illiterate.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I bought it used but the guy previously used it with his PC. He gave me a 15 pin (VGA?) cable and what looks like a USB cable with a squarish plug at the other end (it has a usb symbol on it). It looks like it goes into the monitor but I didn't think you could a USB port with a monitor. Can you?

Sorry I have no idea what the correct names are for these cables as I said I am computer illiterate.

VGA Cable end - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Vga-cable.jpg

DVI Cable end - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Dvi-cable.jpg

Figure out which one of those would fit into the back of your monitor - it is most likely the DVI. If so, get yourself a DVI cable. They are cheap and plentiful :)

As for the USB, your monitor probably has some USB ports on the side or something to plug things into - that port on the back is to go to the computer so that the ports can be attached to your computer.

MattyO

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
VGA Cable end - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Vga-cable.jpg

DVI Cable end - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Dvi-cable.jpg

Figure out which one of those would fit into the back of your monitor - it is most likely the DVI. If so, get yourself a DVI cable. They are cheap and plentiful :)

As for the USB, your monitor probably has some USB ports on the side or something to plug things into - that port on the back is to go to the computer so that the ports can be attached to your computer.

Thanks for everyones help. I'll head up to the electronics store later and see what they have.

looks like my monitor comes with a VGA input and a DVI input.

Last edited:

MattyO

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Belkin HDMI - DVI

All the store had was a Belkin HDMI - DVI. I guess this will work though it was 40 bucks, which I thought was a bit steep.

Is Belkin a good brand? Or are there better cheaper alternatives?

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
All the store had was a Belkin HDMI - DVI. I guess this will work though it was 40 bucks, which I thought was a bit steep.

Is Belkin a good brand? Or are there better cheaper alternatives?

The Belkin is fine, but as you said just over priced. The bottom line is are you now up and running?

What's your thoughts on the mini?

MattyO

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
The Belkin is fine, but as you said just over priced. The bottom line is are you now up and running?

What's your thoughts on the mini?

I'm actually at work right now so have to wait till I get home to check teh mini out. very excited. I am sure it is going to blow my 5-6 year old Powerbook G4 out of the water.

I am going to order an AMC cable off of newegg for 19 bucks and take this one back though as the Belkin one had some pretty bad reviews ...

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I am going to order an AMC cable off of newegg for 19 bucks and take this one back though as the Belkin one had some pretty bad reviews ...

Sounds like a smart move to save yourself some bucks!

Oh Yeah, you are going to love this new mini, little doubt about it. hehehe

MattyO

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Finally managed to get the mini set up and going.

Had a few problems synching my dell BT mouse, but went to the store and bought a usb magic mouse for set up. Seems like a lot of people had problems with BT keyboards and their mice.

Wow, this mini rocks. Huge difference to my 6 year old powerbook g4. loving this thing.

Last edited:

jai-nice

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010

Thank you so much for the info, I'm considering buying the mini and now I know what I need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.