PDA

View Full Version : DA converters and audio output on Iphones, Ipads and Ipods

Stu Magoo
Aug 15, 2011, 06:09 PM
Hi

I am a professional sound engineer and also sell concert systems for a living. I regularly see iphones and ipods used at festivals or concerts for the "show music" in between bands etc and also being used by touring engineers and performers for playback. I was just wondering about the quality??

I also regularly demonstrate audio systems for sale purposes and if I'm honest I use an iphone 3gs with .wav files which has always done fine. I heard a rumour that iphones/ipods had a high pass filter which rolled off early around 60hz and then didn't work well for sub. I actually played a .wav file (music not pink noise) and put it through smaart which didn't show any obvious hpf so I think this may have been a bit of a myth?

I am just keen to travel with a hard drive audio player and wondered what would be the best quality and also am I safe keeping with Apple and using itunes to play the .wav's. Any advice for high quality transfer software (to convert my cd's) if itunes doesn't cut it would be appreciated.

Cheers