PDA

View Full Version : General question on iOS Developing

bluemonkeyguy
Aug 15, 2011, 07:42 PM
I am planning to start developing for iOS and read someone's comment on some coding website saying that "one should develop for iOS on a mac different from one's personal mac". Is this true or is the commenter retarded:D? will xcode and other SDK's interfere with the usual operating system experience? I suspect not but just making sure.

balamw
Aug 15, 2011, 07:45 PM
Link?

Maybe they are referring to all of the pre-release stuff we devs get access to. I generally don't run pre-release code on my main personal machine(s).

B

admanimal
Aug 15, 2011, 08:45 PM
There is little to no risk in developing for iOS on your primary Mac. The only beta software that ever gets installed on the Mac itself is Xcode, which is relatively harmless. It is much more important for a serious developer to have separate iOS devices aside from personal ones, especially in the case of the iPhone, since you probably don't want to risk installing a beta OS on a phone that you rely on daily.

Doing Mac development on your primary Mac is also a different story, since you would probably be inclined to install potentially unstable beta builds of the OS itself and wouldn't want to compromise your primary computer.