Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tensakun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Akashi, Japan
One of the reasons I'm considering the MBP to MBA leap of faith is lightness--my aging back:(. But the power adapter, which I must pack, is pretty heavy itself. Is the lower-powered 45 W MBA adapter any light than the 60/85 W MBP adapter? Suspect zero or a few nano grams diff...

Don't suppose the MagSafe situation has changed either, that is, no lighter 3rd-party products...

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
One of the reasons I'm considering the MBP to MBA leap of faith is lightness--my aging back:(. But the power adapter, which I must pack, is pretty heavy itself. Is the lower-powered 45 W MBA adapter any light than the 60/85 W MBP adapter? Suspect zero or a few nano grams diff...

Don't suppose the MagSafe situation has changed either, that is, no lighter 3rd-party products...

Looking in my notes, based on research I did in 2010, prior to MBP purchase

Weight of PSU (without mains cable or plug)
309g for 85W(MBP)
225g for 65W
187g for 45W(MBA)
The little plug that goes into the mains weighs about 30g

Not quite sure there those numbers came from, but I can confirm the weight of the 85W

So, about 4 oz difference between the 85W and the 45W

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I wanted an additional adaptor to leave at home while the one my MBA came with goes in the bag. I decided on the MBP adaptor since it cost the same at the additional capacity means it won't run as hot as well as possibly charge the battery faster when the computer is under load... Anyway, yes the 45watt adaptor is lighter, though I can't image it would make that much of a difference when carrying it around. The case I have is pretty small so the small form factor of the 45watt is very helpful, not so much the weight.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I don't mind the weight as much as the form factor. It's kept in line with adapters for the other gear and that makes aesthetic sense across product lines. But an Air adapter is something that could have had a thinner looking dimension so it doesn't bulge when kept in slim sleeves and cases.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
im thinking of buying an additional adapter to stay and keep it plugged in at my home, so is it better to buy the 85w adapter than the mba adapter to make it charge my mba faster?

Steamrunner

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2008
im thinking of buying an additional adapter to stay and keep it plugged in at my home, so is it better to buy the 85w adapter than the mba adapter to make it charge my mba faster?

Apple state that a higher wattage charger won't charge the battery any faster. The 45W MBA charger costs more than the 65W MB adapter, though, so there is no good reason to buy the 45W one unless the small size difference is crucial for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.