Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Types of Movie Fromats are you Buying and Why

• HD Movies DVD

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Blue Ray DVD

Votes: 51 45.5%
  • Standard Movies DVD

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • Not buying anything Get them from another source

Votes: 31 27.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.4%

• Total voters

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I voted for Blu-ray, but your poll options would have been better as:-

Blu-ray
DVD
HD iTunes
SD iTunes
Other

I'm not exactly sure what "HD Movies DVD" is. There are no HD movies on DVD.

Oh, wait a minute, unless you meant HDDVD, the now defunct format?

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I've been buying thru iTunes lately.

Unfortunately, until I update my desktop PC graphics card I have to work around the **** DRM by buying HD on my iphone and syncing to the desktop (in order to stream to my ATV2)

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
I make copies using HB. I used to download them. I'll probably just use Netflix and :apple:TV2 soon though.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
When I buy movies, I always go with the DVD, but none of my DVD players ever see it, other than the one in my iMac. It goes straight to Handbrake to get ripped and encoded. I then share it over my network and to my :apple:TV

I have a few Blu Ray movies, but I honestly can't tell that big of a difference, even on my 47" 1080p LCD tv. And even if I can, it's not that big of a deal to me. The "Apple TV 2" preset on Handbrake looks just fine for my liking on it.

My goal is to go diskless, but until digital prices come down and DRM is a thing of the past, I'll stick to buying DVD's and ripping/encoding them myself.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
with a ps3 and two apple tvs. strictly Itunes movie purchases. The quality off those apple tvs are superb. Blu Ray is still better but im not paying 24 bucks for a movie im probably going to watch two or 3 times.

Speaking of physical media does anyone still buy music cds. lol not me..

treestar

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
This is an example of when pirated media is the better product. I guess get HD content from iTunes. Discs are dead. DVD collections are tacky.

----------

with a ps3 and two apple tvs. strictly Itunes movie purchases. The quality off those apple tvs are superb. Blu Ray is still better but im not paying 24 bucks for a movie im probably going to watch two or 3 times.

Speaking of physical media does anyone still buy music cds. lol not me..

I do. Until I can buy ALAC or FLAC in the iTunes store I'm not buying a thing. Yes, I am suffering from audiophilia. Music just does it for me in a way that movies do not.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Blu-ray collection at over 200 titles so far.

Though once Apple launches 1080p content alongside a 1080p Apple TV, then I'll make the jump to iTunes completely finally as movies and TV shows are the only media that I don't buy digitally right now.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Blu-Ray when I can, but regular DVDs don't look too bad on the PS3.

If I can get 'em, I like the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combos. The Digital Copy goes into iTunes.

If not, then I've been known to torrent a copy of a movie I already own on disc. Usually it's actually faster than ripping/encoding it myself.

Having said that, I've spent a lot of time in the past few months watching movies on Netflix or rentals from iTunes on my Apple TV.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
If I can get 'em, I like the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combos. The Digital Copy goes into iTunes.

Yea, I like these too, except I wish digital copies were HD versions of the film :(

I've collected a bunch of digital copies myself. I've always hoped Apple would offer an HD upgrade program for people who purchased an SD version of the film at a partial fee, just like how they have it with their music.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
This these made me realize how we have such a confusing mess of options nowadays for movies... I remember when it was pretty much just DVD and VHS. Now we have Netflix, redbox, iTunes, DVDs, Blu-Rays, ect... I can't tell what's the best way to go! :S

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
Why do you like blu-ray if you can't tell it's HD? You just enjoy the higher prices? ;) Or just future proofing?

I buy blu-rays, but that's only for favourites, and even then rarely...for renting, it's mostly Netflix on the PS3, PSN or iTunes. Starting to realize I rarely re-watch movies anyway.

I still buy DVDs of older tv shows that aren't coming to blu-ray. But it's getting to the point where it's worth paying Apple so I don't have to deal with the physical media.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
My house is a 90% optical disc free house. iTunes via AppleTV2 and Netflix only. But we have DVDs for The Lion King etc. for our kids just in case some digital apocalypse comes and all we're left with are DVD players.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Either standard DVD or Apple TV (.m4v).

I don't have a full HD TV yet so I've not really bothered with Blu-ray. I'm a late media adapter, I know :p

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
seriously with netflix, and itunes. I dont get why people still buy dvds. Blu rays yes i get it .. and cds i get it because I really love going thru the cd insert while the cd is playing and reading the credits... and now itunes has that rewatch feature of purchased tv shows...

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Standard DVDs for me. They're so cheap on Amazon after they've been out for a while, and I can lend them to people. I buy the occasional Blu Ray but standard definition is fine for me.

mlynchmob16

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2010
Dublin, OH
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX5-32) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I buy blu rays, but only when movies are on sale. I never need a movie when it is first released, so when the blu ray goes on sale I buy it.

Also I do buy some tv shows on DVD if they are not going to be released on blu ray.

Darien Red Sox

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
CT, USA
I will buy stuff of the iTunes store or cheap standard DVDs off of Amazon or Half. Don't have a blue ray player yet but the blue ray selection is still limited at public librarys where I barrow most of my DVD's, I will not buy my own copy unless it is a very good movie or I can't wait. I prefer the digital format of iTunes because it can not get scratched or lost.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I will buy stuff of the iTunes store or cheap standard DVDs off of Amazon or Half. Don't have a blue ray player yet but the blue ray selection is still limited at public librarys where I barrow most of my DVD's, I will not buy my own copy unless it is a very good movie or I can't wait. I prefer the digital format of iTunes because it can not get scratched or lost.

Using a Library copy then burning one for your own use is not a good idea as it is against copyright violations?

JeepGuy

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Barrie
I only buy blu-rays, but I don't buy very many. They must have replay value, I made this mistake when I got into DVD's, and have hundreds I've only watched once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.