PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks and Apple Partner for Free iPhone Apps

MacRumors
Aug 16, 2011, 11:58 AM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/16/starbucks-and-apple-partner-for-free-iphone-apps/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/shazam.jpg

Apple and Starbucks have expanded their music partnership to offer free apps as well. The coffee chain is now offering (http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20092682-248/starbucks-serves-up-free-iphone-apps/) customers free "Pick of the Week" cards with App Store redemption codes for featured apps. The first app is Shazam Encore (http://appshopper.com/music/shazam-encore), a music-identification app that normally sells for $5.99.

Apple and Starbucks have had a relationship (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/24/starbucks-to-give-away-free-itunes-songs/) for years, originally offering free songs and letting iPod Touch and iPhone users easily purchase songs they heard in Starbucks locations. The company has offered musical "Pick of the Week" cards, letting customers download select music tracks for free as well.

(Image courtesy CNET)

Article Link: Starbucks and Apple Partner for Free iPhone Apps (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/16/starbucks-and-apple-partner-for-free-iphone-apps/)

Yumunum
Aug 16, 2011, 12:00 PM
This'll rock for anyone who didn't wanna spend the $6 before. Shazam is a must-have!

cshearer
Aug 16, 2011, 12:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5288d)

As a barista, this makes me incredibly happy. Now I can nab songs AND apps before we put them out :D.

jhill89
Aug 16, 2011, 12:03 PM
Is this US only or will it be available in the UK?

mms13
Aug 16, 2011, 12:04 PM
I prefer SoundHound to Shazam but that's beside the point - this is very cool!

Anyone know how I could go about getting Starbucks to possibly promote my app this way?

Xarthan
Aug 16, 2011, 12:04 PM
Nice! Did people see these at Starbucks today? Wondering if they are out yet or are still trickling around the country being delivered to Starbucks.

cshearer
Aug 16, 2011, 12:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

Nice! Did people see these at Starbucks today? Wondering if they are out yet or are still trickling around the country being delivered to Starbucks.

I can't speak for Apple or Starbucks, but if you already have pick of the week for songs over there, I'd wager you'll also get the app cards.

Mjmar
Aug 16, 2011, 12:10 PM
I like this. The free iTunes songs that Starbucks picks are usually worth a listen, so hopefully the apps they choose are just as good.

FroMann
Aug 16, 2011, 12:15 PM
I don't even have a iOS device and I would still use these cards.

Slix
Aug 16, 2011, 12:24 PM
This is cool. Looking forward to seeing more cool apps for free eventually.

As said above, I also like Soundhound better, and it's free already, but hey, these deals are good too.

SockRolid
Aug 16, 2011, 12:25 PM
Starbucks is the Microsoft of coffee franchises. I'm a Peet's guy.

Sorry.

shartypants
Aug 16, 2011, 12:32 PM
I was at Starbucks this morning, didn't get one. I wonder how they give them out...

BJMRamage
Aug 16, 2011, 12:44 PM
pretty nice deal.

I too prefer the Free Soundhound but having Shazam Encore (free) would be nice too.

I love the freebies...normally worth a listen and now I can try these apps too.
wouldn't expect too much but wonder if they'll be random or more geared to songs/music to match their Song of the Week

iLoveMyApple
Aug 16, 2011, 12:44 PM
This is nice, but I still prefer Coffee Bean over Starbucks. :cool:

Skream
Aug 16, 2011, 01:09 PM
Looks like i'll be drinking coffee once a week now.

Tutorer
Aug 16, 2011, 01:38 PM
I wonder if the app developers still get paid with this method.

IndianGuy
Aug 16, 2011, 01:42 PM
Was at Starbucks this morning, its still not on yet - may be coming weeks

lazyrighteye
Aug 16, 2011, 01:46 PM
I was at Starbucks this morning, didn't get one. I wonder how they give them out...

Same question: how are these distributed?

CyrusKafaiWu
Aug 16, 2011, 02:09 PM
At my local starbucks, they place the piles beside the cash register.

DominikHoffmann
Aug 16, 2011, 02:34 PM
I just checked at a Starbucks in Sterling, Va., and they knew nothing about this new promotion. It must become available in future weeks, only.

It would be interesting to see, what the expiration date on the back of the shown card is. The code on the current Pick of the Week (Ritual Union by Little Dragon) song card expires this coming November 11. Presuming that Apple keeps the app redemption codes active for the same amount of time, knowing what it says on the Shazam card would allow us to calculate, when it is intended to be released to customers.

Mudsteam
Aug 16, 2011, 02:36 PM
So, does anyone know the code to redeem, cuz i dont feel like driving to Starbucks :D

DominikHoffmann
Aug 16, 2011, 02:39 PM
Same question: how are these distributed?
Many of the Starbucks stores don't prominently display these, or keep them stocked with the latest song cards. I have had to ask whether they had current ones many times, which they would subsequently locate in the back somewhere and put out either near the register, at the bar, or where the napkins and condiments are.

----------

So, does anyone know the code to redeem, cuz i dont feel like driving to Starbucks :D
At least with the song cards, there is no code that could be redeemed more than once. If the person who is in possession of the card shown here at MacRumors let us know what that code was, it could only be used by the first person redeeming it. Each individual song card has a unique redemption code.

mdelvecchio
Aug 16, 2011, 03:24 PM
does starbucks have free wifi for customers?

DominikHoffmann
Aug 16, 2011, 03:25 PM
does starbucks have free wifi for customers?
Yes, they do, for everyone within range of their WiFi network.

Dr. Scott
Aug 16, 2011, 04:10 PM
Today I was told 'Pick of the Week' cards are released on Tuesdays. In Eugene, Oregon its a Little Dragon song called 'Ritual Reunion'. Hoping the Shazam app comes next or very soon. Great idea from Apple/Fourbucks! :)

Marcus72
Aug 16, 2011, 05:16 PM
They're not out in Central New Jersey, If anybody see Shazam in their local Starbucks, please PM me a code. thanks

Objectivist-C
Aug 16, 2011, 07:22 PM
For the curious, this appears to be US-only for the time being.

Lukeyy19
Aug 16, 2011, 07:40 PM
I like this. The free iTunes songs that Starbucks picks are usually worth a listen, so hopefully the apps they choose are just as good.

I very much doubt they are picked by Starbucks. Its a promotion by Apple, through Starbucks.

billchase2
Aug 16, 2011, 08:40 PM
I stopped by 2 different Starbucks today and didn't see the app cards at either; only the free song. Perhaps tomorrow...

nylonsteel
Aug 16, 2011, 09:37 PM
re starbucks comments previous

1) true peets and coffee bean have better coffee
2) funny comment about the sbux barrista is not considered a barrista
3) i laugh at people standing in line just for a cup of joe - make your own
4) sbux used to be cool and hip +7 years ago - now ghetto and bums starting to camp there all day
5) creepy how some peeps camp out using sbux wifi as their office every morning
6) coffe bean drive thru near my house is the best - cute friendly girls too
7) thats all folks

"what's new..." - dexter gordon - 1964

Vizin
Aug 16, 2011, 10:38 PM

Amazing Iceman
Aug 16, 2011, 11:10 PM
The app mentioned in the article is the iPhone native version, and jot the Universal or iPad Native app.
It would be nice too see free codes for these kinds of apps too.

burtonrider117
Aug 16, 2011, 11:41 PM
I checked at my local Starbucks today and they didn't even have any idea that this promotion existed. Has anyone been able to knab a card yet?

verwon
Aug 16, 2011, 11:52 PM
How is that "creepy"? I work from home and I like to get out of the house sometimes while I'm working.

Same here! Sitting at home, all the time, gets old.

Loves2spoon
Aug 17, 2011, 12:26 AM
anyone find a starbucks with these cards in California yet?

Marcus PM
Aug 17, 2011, 12:43 AM
Sounds great, I'll have to check this out.
Now if I can only find a Starbucks.

essential
Aug 17, 2011, 07:58 AM
Saw this article yesterday and stopped in my local Starbucks, still just the music. I had Shazam back when it was free for unlimited ID's, then one of the updates took that away and it pissed me off so I bought SoundHound. I'd def take Shazam for free though, hoping these cards show up somewhere before they move on to a new App.

BreuerEditor
Aug 17, 2011, 08:29 AM
GREAT for anyone who doesn't have the app. I just bought it about a month ago and use it all the time. To save $6 on an app that a lot of people could use is much better than a .99 song. Kudos Starbucks and Apple :cool:

schmoopy.design
Aug 17, 2011, 09:16 AM
No luck at Starbucks in Champaign, IL. Plenty of the traditional pick of the week cards though.

opq
Aug 17, 2011, 10:20 AM
Any luck for anyone in the Seattle area? I visited 2 starbucks and no one had any clue what I was talking about

billchase2
Aug 17, 2011, 10:45 AM
Saw this article yesterday and stopped in my local Starbucks, still just the music. I had Shazam back when it was free for unlimited ID's, then one of the updates took that away and it pissed me off so I bought SoundHound. I'd def take Shazam for free though, hoping these cards show up somewhere before they move on to a new App.

Same here, except I got SoundHound for free back when it was Midomi. I switched to SoundHound after my iPhone 4 upgrade made my lose my grandfathered Shazam license. I discovered recently though, that Shazam changed their licensing system and I'm now back to having unlimited tags.

Shazam Encore would be great to have though, as it has more features than the grandfathered version of Shazam. Still looking for a Starbucks in Ann Arbor that carries the cards.

bobm3
Aug 17, 2011, 11:09 AM
Clearwater florida 3 starbucks no nothing about the free apps.

To the other writer yes starbucks has free wifi

jonnysods
Aug 17, 2011, 11:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5288d)

This is a great idea.

iOS world domination in 3, 2, 1...

SockRolid
Aug 17, 2011, 12:25 PM
I'll cave and do it. I'm using the free version of Shazam, but this is a great deal.

Can't stand Starbucks. I'm a Peet's fanatic since I used to live 2 blocks away from the original Peet's. So, what I'll do is get the Starbucks deal *and* go to Peet's immediately afterward. That way Peet's isn't losing any business from me.

mickeys
Aug 17, 2011, 09:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

I've tried a handful of San Francisco stores, and nobody has even the barest clue about this.

Way to go, Starbucks & Apple :-/

whyamihere
Aug 18, 2011, 09:06 AM
went to starbucks this morning. they still only have song picks of the week. :mad:

whyamihere
Aug 18, 2011, 09:21 AM
So after a little digging, I discovered the following (we have to wait until next week):

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3209320

"Starbucks yesterday announced a promotion that will be starting August 23rd similar to the iTunes song of the week, only this time it is an iPhone app of the week. They kicked it off with a serious value with Shazam Encore being this weeks app. This version of Shazam is usually around $6 and allows unlimited tagging. Quite the deal for just a trip into Starbucks, even if you get a coffee!

If there are no physical card at your location you may try the following:

"To get the free apps, you’ll need to head to your local Starbucks, connect to their Wi-Fi network, and click into the Starbucks Digital Network. A shortcut for iPhone owners is to use the official Starbucks app (free), which has a direct link into the Starbucks Digital Network."
Via CNET."

billchase2
Aug 18, 2011, 09:29 AM
So after a little digging, I discovered the following (we have to wait until next week):

"Starbucks yesterday announced a promotion that will be starting August 23rd similar to the iTunes song of the week, only this time it is an iPhone app of the week. They kicked it off with a serious value with Shazam Encore being this weeks app. This version of Shazam is usually around $6 and allows unlimited tagging. Quite the deal for just a trip into Starbucks, even if you get a coffee!

"To get the free apps, you’ll need to head to your local Starbucks, connect to their Wi-Fi network, and click into the Starbucks Digital Network. A shortcut for iPhone owners is to use the official Starbucks app (free), which has a direct link into the Starbucks Digital Network."
Via CNET."
Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to check into it next week.

Winni
Aug 18, 2011, 10:48 AM
How is that "creepy"? I work from home and I like to get out of the house sometimes while I'm working.

You and most of the other Apple notebook owners... Add some Nike shoes to the mix and you should know why those places are creepy.

My old German teacher used to say: "You are all so individual... in your Jeans."

Get it? Same coffee, same notebook, same clothes, same lifestyle, probably even the same mindset and attitude and thoughts. That's creepy.

A-S-B
Aug 18, 2011, 01:04 PM
If anyone gets these codes, could you be nice and share them with other macrumors members? Please. :)

Marcus PM
Aug 19, 2011, 05:57 PM

Via CNET."

Thank you, I did a little digging on my own and discovered the rollout date of the 23rd too.
See you there.

timmo13
Aug 22, 2011, 01:48 PM
Here's the official announcement. Or at least as official as you want to call a blog post on their site. http://www.starbucks.com/blog/pick-of-the-week-apps-books-tv-music-and-more/1064

billchase2
Aug 23, 2011, 08:25 AM
Grabbed one this morning at my Starbucks in Ann Arbor: http://campl.us/d04I

schmoopy.design
Aug 23, 2011, 11:58 AM
I've got about 5 extra cards. If you want the code shoot me a DM.

Cheers.

cattywampus
Aug 23, 2011, 02:57 PM
I've got about 5 extra cards. If you want the code shoot me a DM.

Cheers.

I am interested in a code. Thanks.

http://twitter.com/#!/cattywa

Zimmy68
Aug 23, 2011, 03:20 PM
I know I am talking to a wall but I'll say it anyway.

Come on, guys don't abuse this.

Take one and let others who want it, buy a cup of coffee.

It's not like there isn't a Starbucks on every corner.

I got mine today and even though I could have grabbed one and left, I ordered my coffee to support this.

Loves2spoon
Aug 23, 2011, 05:50 PM
Went in today and grabbed an orange juice and my free Shazam code.

Didn't see anyone else take one while I was there.

Gr8fulMac
Aug 23, 2011, 07:03 PM
Went to my local Starbucks and got the card. However, when I put in the code to redeem at the App Store on my iPhone 4, I got a message that this app is not supported by iOS devices. This is so despite the back of the card giving instructions on how to redeem on your iPhone! Anyone else running into this?

ltb7
Aug 23, 2011, 11:17 PM
went to my local starbucks as i do often and they had no clue about this in FL.....:confused:

timmo13
Aug 24, 2011, 10:58 AM
Went to my local Starbucks and got the card. However, when I put in the code to redeem at the App Store on my iPhone 4, I got a message that this app is not supported by iOS devices. This is so despite the back of the card giving instructions on how to redeem on your iPhone! Anyone else running into this?

I've got the exact same problem on both my iPhone and iPad. And when I try to put in the code for the Starbucks music downloads of the week, iTunes (on my iPhone and iPad) crashes.

Then in iTunes on my Mac, it either says "session timed out" (even when I', logged out and try entering the code before loggin in) or keeps prompting me for my password. I know I enter it correctly because when I enter it wrong it says it was an incorrect password, but when I enter it right it just says "accessing iTunes" and pops up with the password prompt again. So frustrating.

Marcus72
Aug 24, 2011, 12:49 PM
The closest Starbuck to me is near a high schools, all the picks of the week were gone. So I went to less popular Starbucks, they had tray full of Shazam Encore. :) So I got a tall Tazo Chai Soy Ice Tea.

Using my Iphone, I just redeemed the code, Shazam install without any problems.

Sweet offer from Apple & Starbucks.

Gr8fulMac
Aug 24, 2011, 05:15 PM
The closest Starbuck to me is near a high schools, all the picks of the week were gone. So I went to less popular Starbucks, they had tray full of Shazam Encore. :) So I got a tall Tazo Chai Soy Ice Tea.

No such luck for me & for anyone else that I know that tried to use it! Maybe my Starbucks (and other ones in my area from where folks I know got their cards) received cards with "bad" codes. I'll keep trying, but...

Marcus72
Aug 24, 2011, 06:44 PM
No such luck for me & for anyone else that I know that tried to use it! Maybe my Starbucks (and other ones in my area from where folks I know got their cards) received cards with "bad" codes. I'll keep trying, but...

Check your Private message ;-)

Edit: You don't acceptPM. Oh well, good luck finding good codes.

Gr8fulMac
Aug 24, 2011, 07:24 PM

How do I accept PMs? Would love a good code! Thx.

Gr8fulMac
Aug 24, 2011, 07:41 PM
Just checked. As a "newbie", I'm not eligible to receive or send PMs. One more should do it...

----------

This post should make me no longer a "newbie". I'll try to send/receive PMs now!

----------

Marcus 72 - You should be able to PM me now!

----------

It would appear that ALL Starbucks in my city have cards with "bad" codes! Ouch!

Dylatron2000
Aug 25, 2011, 01:44 AM
I tried redeeming the code on my iP4 and it said that it did not support it but when I entered the code on iTunes on my laptop it worked.

just sync'd my apps and it was fine, enjoying a 6 dollar app for free! (well minus the cost of my coffee :D )

Gr8fulMac
Aug 25, 2011, 10:38 AM
I tried a card from a different Starbucks and it also had a "bad" code. If anyone can PM me a "good" code, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

mikeo007
Aug 25, 2011, 12:59 PM
Any idea if this is happening on Canada too?

Nishimare
Aug 25, 2011, 06:13 PM
Anyone still have the Shazam Encore code ?Would like to have one.. Appreciate it :D

----------

Do you still have any code left ? Would like to have one :o , unable to shoot u a pm but if you are kind enough can send to my mail nishimare att gmail dot com . Thank you

thomaj
Aug 26, 2011, 09:02 AM
can someone please give me a code because i dont live near any starbucks i would really appreciate it
cheers

gpat
Aug 26, 2011, 10:37 AM
I'm not American, could somebody PM me a code? Thx.

faquick
Aug 27, 2011, 04:20 AM
I'm not from USA, too.

Any good souls who would pick up a card for me? :)

eksplosions
Aug 27, 2011, 12:06 PM
Anyone have any extras? There are none at either of the 3 Starbucks around campus :(

dvil15
Aug 27, 2011, 01:49 PM
So I picked up this card and got my app still here if anyone needs a code shoot me message. Plenty of cards at this location.

JayMysterio
Aug 27, 2011, 02:03 PM
I went to an Apple Store opening, and hit the nearby Starbucks. I grabbed a handful of cards ( 7 ) for people that need/want them here.

Hit me up with a PM and I will send ONE to those that ask.

6 cards

5 cards

2 cards left

thomaj
Aug 27, 2011, 09:26 PM
I went to an Apple Store opening, and hit the nearby Starbucks. I grabbed a handful of cards ( 7 ) for people that need/want them here.

Hit me up with a PM and I will send ONE to those that ask.

6 cards

5 cards

2 cards left

Hi would I please be able to have a code my email is jt71995@live.com

----------

So I picked up this card and got my app still here if anyone needs a code shoot me message. Plenty of cards at this location.

Hi if you have a spare code could you send it to my email jt71995@live.com

calviin
Aug 29, 2011, 05:52 PM
Can someone please PM me a code? It'll be much appreciated. All the local stores didn't have any left.

DominikHoffmann
Aug 29, 2011, 09:06 PM
Can someone please PM me a code? It'll be much appreciated. All the local stores didn't have any left.

First come, first served:

AMFH3WJAL6TY
4YR3P3NWRWWR
KJPWAJXANRMJ
FLELP4MPTKPP
NPR49MEW6XNF
T3MX7LPKML9M
6RJJ3PWWM7TH
9NW7EEYHF6Y9

PLEASE use only one!

http://db.tt/rgIOSDX

gpat
Aug 30, 2011, 02:22 AM
FYI, you can't use them if your iTunes account is not American. I couldn't. :(

ct2k7
Aug 30, 2011, 05:15 AM
What's the next app?

Benja0901
Aug 30, 2011, 10:53 AM
As of this morning:

FLELP4MPTKPP
NPR49MEW6XNF
T3MX7LPKML9M
6RJJ3PWWM7TH
9NW7EEYHF6Y9

Are used

surf2snow1
Sep 1, 2011, 11:01 AM
I grabbed some codes today as well... if anyone needs a code, shoot me a PM. First come, first served!

thomaj
Sep 1, 2011, 06:49 PM
I grabbed some codes today as well... if anyone needs a code, shoot me a PM. First come, first served!

I can't pm you but could you please send a code to my email jt71995@live.com

DominikHoffmann
Sep 8, 2011, 12:30 PM

Via CNET."

So far I have been unable to pull up the Pick of the Week App on the Starbucks Digital Network. I contacted Starbucks Customer Service on this:
It looks like, while the Pick of the Week song is available for download from Starbucks Digital Network, the App Pick of the Week is not. Unless I am mistaken, why is that?
A Starbucks representative wrote back:
Currently the Pick Of The Week App downloads are through the card only, as per agreements made between Starbucks and Apple. This is to insure the program is distributed on a first come, first serve basis.

ScoutDad
Sep 8, 2011, 04:54 PM
So far I have been unable to pull up the Pick of the Week App on the Starbucks Digital Network. I contacted Starbucks Customer Service on this:

A Starbucks representative wrote back:

Good to know. I was trying to find them on the SDN at my local store to no avail as they were out of cards. If anyone still has an unused code for spy mouse out there and can PM it to me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

wolfshades
Sep 9, 2011, 02:02 PM
This is cool. Looking forward to seeing more cool apps for free eventually.

As said above, I also like Soundhound better, and it's free already, but hey, these deals are good too.

I use Soundhound as well as Shazam. Sometimes - like last night for example - Soundhound won't recognize a song that Shazam will. Vice versa sometimes too.

Either way, they're both cool products, and it's good to see Starbucks getting more in bed with Apple. The winners are the consumers here.

Might not be available in the U.K. or Canada yet but I'm certain the deal will arrive in both places soon.

Gr8fulMac
Sep 9, 2011, 05:10 PM
When I tried to use both cards to redeem the apps on my iPhone 4, I got a message that the apps were incompatible with my device. This was so despite trying to use different codes. Spoke with someone in the Apple store and they had no idea why that was the case. Per their suggestion, I redeemed the codes on the iTunes store, downloaded the apps on my MacBook & then synched them to my phone. So, I now have both apps on my iPhone 4 - not much of a hassle but I thought that Apple/Starbucks would have sorted this out. But, all's well that ends well...

thomaj
Jan 24, 2012, 09:43 PM
I have a spare Shazam code if anyone wants it so give me a pm. First in best dressed gets it

todd2fst4u
Jan 25, 2012, 01:29 AM
I have a spare Shazam code if anyone wants it so give me a pm. First in best dressed gets it

PM sent!

thomaj
Jan 25, 2012, 01:59 AM
Code taken

roadbloc
Jan 25, 2012, 03:41 AM
Hipster brand teams up with hipster brand to give away hipster stuff that would have been bought anyway by hipsters.

Antowns
Jan 25, 2012, 07:08 AM
I've seen these around a few times, they usually get put either at the till or at the coffee bar near the end. Our local store has the redeemable songs but not the apps yet. This is in the UK as well so people wanting UK codes i'll grab some next time I'm down.