Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oyalhi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
Ok so I thought this would be real easy, but it turns out it is not. I have the following:
1. Apple TV connected to the TV
2. Airport Extreme
3. 2 external HDDs connected to the Extreme

Currently everything is working; however, setup-wise I am stuck. This is what I would like to do:

1. I want to move my iTunes library to one of the external drives and access the iTunes library from my computer in my account, and from my wife's account. We just one iTunes library shared. How??

2. I have many ripped DVDs but they are not MKV, AVI, MOV etc. I ripped them to the hard drive as files, such as AUDIO_TS, VIDEO_TS etc. Because I did not want to loose the menu functionality of the DVDs and extra features etc. I can play these directly from my HDD with VLC player just as if they were DVDs. Do I have to convert them to m4v files now so that I can add them to iTunes and Apple TV sees them?

3. Let's say I have converted all my movies to m4v files. How do I add them to the shared iTunes library (that I presumably created in #1), keep them in their original location but iTunes will see them so that I can access them via Apple TV?

Any help is appreciated,

Omer

rodman109110

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
1. I want to move my iTunes library to one of the external drives and access the iTunes library from my computer in my account, and from my wife's account. We just one iTunes library shared. How?? - I think if you just add the files into iTunes, while making sure the copy to iTunes option is unchecked. But accessing at the same time, I'm not sure about. You'd just have to test that. Are you referring to two different computers or two accounts on one computer?

2. I have many ripped DVDs but they are not MKV, AVI, MOV etc. I ripped them to the hard drive as files, such as AUDIO_TS, VIDEO_TS etc....Do I have to convert them to m4v files now so that I can add them to iTunes and Apple TV sees them? - There may be a way to use your ripped folders if you jailbreak your apple tv but if you don't want to do that you will have to convert your movies to the .m4v format. Handbreak is a great program to do this.

3. Let's say I have converted all my movies to m4v files. How do I add them to the shared iTunes library (that I presumably created in #1), keep them in their original location but iTunes will see them so that I can access them via Apple TV? - Add them to iTunes the way you would normally add a file to iTunes. The apple tv should see them with out a problem.

oyalhi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
1. I want to move my iTunes library to one of the external drives and access the iTunes library from my computer in my account, and from my wife's account. We just one iTunes library shared. How?? - I think if you just add the files into iTunes, while making sure the copy to iTunes option is unchecked. But accessing at the same time, I'm not sure about. You'd just have to test that. Are you referring to two different computers or two accounts on one computer?

Thanks for the reply. I am referring to ONE computer with TWO separate accounts using the same library. Is that possible?

rodman109110

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
I don't see why it wouldn't be. Just make sure you have your iTunes accounts authorized on each library so that any purchase you make can be accessed in either library.

You will have to update both libraries when adding new files. I don't know of a way to automatically add the files to two separate iTunes libraries at the same time.

oyalhi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Well I'll give it try. I am just copying everything from the NTFS formatted drive to the Mac formatted drive so that I can re-format the NTFS to the Mac format so that the Airport Extreme will recognize it. It's taking heck of a time though :)

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I hope you have better luck than I did with the configuration you describe. I found access to the disk connected to the airport extreme was extremely slow and unreliable. You could always see the disk but i had problems after a few days reading and writing to it and had to do frequency power off of the drive to get it functioning again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.