PDA

View Full Version : Looking for iphone app ideas

Bailey156
Aug 16, 2011, 02:05 PM
hey guys just wondering if anyone had any iphone app ideas, i have a few myself but it would be much appreciated if any of ye could give me some more thanks:rolleyes:

GoCubsGo
Aug 16, 2011, 02:06 PM
Why would anyone shell out good ideas (or bad ones even) to a newbie? If you truly have ideas, share them here and maybe someone else will share theirs.

I for one think we need another fart app.

Bailey156
Aug 16, 2011, 02:32 PM
we all have to start somewhere and i thought here would be a good place to start

miles01110
Aug 16, 2011, 02:43 PM
Make an app that suggests ideas for other apps.

Bailey156
Aug 16, 2011, 02:48 PM
ha i just wished that was already there

ArtOfWarfare
Aug 16, 2011, 04:58 PM
Make an app that has Apple's official documents for Xcode on it, links with your computer, and brings up the documents for whatever class the developer is currently working with.

IE: My cursor is in Xcode hovering over [array removeObjectAtIndex:blah]

My computer should send a signal to my iPhone, running the app you created, to open up the documents on NSArray and scroll down to the -removeObjectAtIndex: method.

I've wanted an app like that for awhile but I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to coding it. If you make it + a helper for Mac OS, I'll download it (assuming the price is reasonable.)

Bailey156
Aug 17, 2011, 07:13 AM
apps like that can get complex i was thinking of a simple physics game

eawmp1
Aug 17, 2011, 07:23 AM
I would say the genius of the most successful apps are in the idea/vision and design. The programming can be done by anyone (no offense to my programming friends). OP, are you a developer or a programmer? If there is an idea for a killer app here, I doubt you will get anyone to share.

How about a background app that makes a breaking sound when you set an iPhone down and displays a cracked screen. You can increase the intensity of the sound and the amount of screen damage to correlate with the high/force of the fall. I am sure that at some point the realism would be amazing.

Bailey156
Aug 18, 2011, 11:41 AM
Ya thats great but i think i'll just start developing, thanks anyway

dejo
Aug 19, 2011, 07:47 AM
I would say the genius of the most successful apps are in the idea/vision and design. The programming can be done by anyone (no offense to my programming friends). OP, are you a developer or a programmer?
Sorry, but you've offended. I take it you're not a programmer? Saying the programming can be done by anyone seems quite ignorant to me.

(marc)
Aug 19, 2011, 07:55 AM
Sorry, but you've offended. I take it you're not a programmer? Saying the programming can be done by anyone seems quite ignorant to me.

True, but there are less people with good ideas than programmers. ... and I'm a programmer myself.

dejo
Aug 19, 2011, 07:58 AM
True, but there are less people with good ideas than programmers. ... and I'm a programmer myself.

Perhaps. But I'd also say there are less good programmers than people with ideas (of any quality).

amorya
Aug 20, 2011, 07:00 AM

Wrong. Everyone has ideas. Many of them are good, assuming good polished execution. It's the execution that's hard to do.

For example, I've got a great idea for a to-do list program for people who want to get organised but find it hard. It pops up on your computer first thing in the morning, goes full screen, and won't let you leave until you've picked which tasks you're going to do today.

That's the idea. If someone went and made it, it could be great or it could be terrible, depending on the implementation. I will probably never get round to coding something like that — I don't have the free time, and in my job I code what I'm paid to code. So the idea isn't worth anything.

Now, I did start drawing some more detailed designs for it (http://www.pointandhost.com/gtd/). They were done in a small amount of time and were just aimed at getting my thoughts down on paper. Idea still not worth anything.

If I'd specced out the whole app, including drawing every screen, with flow arrows showing how the user progresses through them, a list of every option in preferences, a list of the fields it would store in the file format, some thoughts on a network protocol for synchronisation (if any), and I'd made actual mockups of various screens and tested them out on real users and documented how the users respond…*then it might be worth something, because I'd have added some real value to the project. Until it gets to that stage, I still think that an idea is worth a couple of pints of beer. It's the design, usability testing, creating graphics, programming, documentation and handling technical support that are the difficult bits in creating an app (and hence the bits that are worth money).

Amorya

firewood
Aug 20, 2011, 01:05 PM
Lots of people have ideas for products. The vast majority of them (even the ones that sound great) aren't profitable, although a very few are quite profitable. You can play this lotto if you wish.

If a competent developer has a good app idea, they'll probably want to try to develop it themselves.

If a non-developer has an idea, it is likely to be impossible or so hard to implement that is has a development cost much higher than any benefit it could produce.

If you don't mind developing just for the learning experience, just look in the app store for an app that almost but not quite does what you want, re-implement it, and perfect it. Reinventing wheels is a good exercise.

Enjoy.