Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jlalor92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I know this was asked millions of times but I cannot find an answer to my particular problems.

I own a macbook pro and would like to install windows xp on a seperate partition. I have roughly 65gb free on my mac at the moment. I tried to partition to the minimum size for windows (20gb) and it would not work in bootcamp. So I tried to use idefrag to defragment my disk, and used fsck -fy to repair the disk. Still no luck when I attempted to partition again. I made a time machine backup on my external hard drive just in case anything went wrong. HOWEVER I do not have a Mac OSX install disk to try and do whatever I would have to do to fix the issue.

Can someone please help me?? I cant figure it out!

Thank you so much!

redbotsoftware

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
Have you tried Disk Utility to create a partition?
Boot Camp sometimes doesn't work, and it's only a simpler form of what Disk Utility does anyway. Try using it, it's in your utilities folder.
If that doesn't work, or gives you an error message, use Disk Utility to repair your disk.
You may need to get an OSX disk and run the disk repair from there. If you don't have a disc, why not buy Lion, and install this on a USB drive? Then you could run Disk Utility to repair disk from there.

Jlalor92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Ok I will give that a try. When I make the partition, should I partition it as free space?

Jlalor92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Ok excellent I was able to make a partition, so now what do I do from here? Run bootcamp as normal?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.